Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y - USB Data Ports - USB-A Glovebox Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately there is a cable already plugged into the socket, if there wasn't I would have just plugged the new cable in when I first tried the install with no separate instructions. :) In hindsight I should have disconnected it and checked the glovebox USB function then and there.

Produced 2023 in Berlin.
The people that say there is no cable plugged into that port probably have a non-Ryzen model, which don't have that port anyways.
For Ryzen, that port appears to be the USB connector for the glovebox. Does your kit have you plug that cable back into your harness? It should be easy to verify by testing if that glovebox port can work with dashcam or music.

As per below, Ryzen appears to have a back facing port on the right that translates to Glovebox USB connection.

Edit (after some searching bottom board actually is Model S/X Ryzen board, not older Atom on Model 3/Y)
The bottom instead has on the left under micro HDMI and USB-C, then Glovebox USB Connector, spare connector and a separate center console power and data connector.
14d462de227b2c5.png

Last edited:
The people that say there is no cable plugged into that port probably have a non-Ryzen model, which don't have that port anyways.
For Ryzen, that port appears to be the USB connector for the glovebox. Does your kit have you plug that cable back into your harness? It should be easy to verify by testing is that port can work with dashcam or music.

As per below, Ryzen appears to have a back facing port on the right that translates to Glovebox USB connection.

The older Adam instead has on the left under micro HDMI and USB-C, then Glovebox USB Connector, spare connector and a separate center console power and data connector.
14d462de227b2c5.png

Thanks!

No, the instructions leave the original cable loose. I'll have to test whether the glove box socket data functionality is lost when I have the chance to remove the interior panels again and unplug the cable. If that's how it is then I guess it's a choice between data in the glovebox or in the center console, unless it's possible to find a suitable splitter to accommodate both the old and new data cables. I think it would be a mini USB 1 male to 2 female, but no luck yet on such cable.

Thanks!

No, the instructions leave the original cable loose. I'll have to test whether the glove box socket data functionality is lost when I have the chance to remove the interior panels again and unplug the cable. If that's how it is then I guess it's a choice between data in the glovebox or in the center console, unless it's possible to find a suitable splitter to accommodate both the old and new data cables. I think it would be a mini USB 1 male to 2 female, but no luck yet on such cable.
You would probably need a hub, given you can't just parallel two data cables and expect it to work (it's not like power). But first verify if you actually lose data on the glovebox port, so you don't waste your time/money on trying to make it work.

For Ryzen, that port appears to be the USB connector for the glovebox. Does your kit have you plug that cable back into your harness? It should be easy to verify by testing if that glovebox port can work with dashcam or music.

Edit (after some searching bottom board actually is Model S/X Ryzen board, not older Atom on Model 3/Y)
The bottom instead has on the left under micro HDMI and USB-C, then Glovebox USB Connector, spare connector and a separate center console power and data connector.
14d462de227b2c5.png

My instructions posted prior were for an unpopulated Ryzen model. Still no idea what he is unplugging 🤷‍♂️

The diagram above labels the USB-C for the display. The micro-HDMI is actually a diagnostic port, even though it seems like the logical connector to use for display.
Ah thanks for correcting me! Either way, the USB 3 in the glovebox is separate from the mini b on the bottom right of the unit. So no idea what the item is that is plugged into that port unless they have downgraded the glovebox to USB 2.0

Ah thanks for correcting me! Either way, the USB 3 in the glovebox is separate from the mini b on the bottom right of the unit. So no idea what the item is that is plugged into that port unless they have downgraded the glovebox to USB 2.0
To be fair, that may not necessarily be correctly labeled in the diagram. I looked through the parts catalog and couldn't find the individual cables, so hard to tell which goes to where.

I dug a bit to find the USB cable to the glovebox port, this appear to be it:
s-l1600.jpg

TESLA MODEL Y USB Hybrid Cable Harness 1565714-00-A Electricity 336kw 2020 LHD | eBay

I looked up Ryzen MCU disassembly and sure enough that does go into the slot. So that diagram was labeled incorrectly and you were actually correct.

Still no sign of what that other cable goes to. Edit: actually a bit further down, it appears something is connected, will try to see if possible to read.

I dug a bit to find the USB cable to the glovebox port, this appear to be it:
s-l1600.jpg

TESLA MODEL Y USB Hybrid Cable Harness 1565714-00-A Electricity 336kw 2020 LHD | eBay

I looked up Ryzen MCU disassembly and sure enough that does go into the slot. So that diagram was labeled incorrectly and you were actually correct.

Still no sign of what that other cable goes to. Edit: actually a bit further down, it appears something is connected, will try to see if possible to read.
So are they instructing the person to remove something from the black connector or a different connector? I’m just confused, as I did install this retrofit and my 22 MY Ryzen and the connector was unpopulated. If they are instructing to unplug the glovebox usb, my only assumption is they are a USB 3 center console, rather than a USB 2 center console.

Anyone noticing their updated usb module’s usb ports no longer provide data after car sleeps? A reboot or two makes data work again but eventually data functions stop when car sleeps. This behavior started after updating my 2022 model y to vehicle firmware 2023.32.4 . I use the t-parts data module. The usb-A port in glovebox works fine. Please respond if you are using same version & had to update your car’s usb module. Thanks.

I purchased the data module from Tesla but because it doesn't come with the tool to open up the center console, it's really hard to pry it open.

Does anyone have a spare T-Parts center console opening tool I can borrow in Toronto or have some insight or trick to open the center console easily?

Thanks

I purchased the data module from Tesla but because it doesn't come with the tool to open up the center console, it's really hard to pry it open.

Does anyone have a spare T-Parts center console opening tool I can borrow in Toronto or have some insight or trick to open the center console easily?

Thanks
Why didn't you purchase from T Parts which comes with the tool?

BTW even with the tool it is difficult to open up the center console

Anyone noticing their updated usb module’s usb ports no longer provide data after car sleeps? A reboot or two makes data work again but eventually data functions stop when car sleeps. This behavior started after updating my 2022 model y to vehicle firmware 2023.32.4 . I use the t-parts data module. The usb-A port in glovebox works fine. Please respond if you are using same version & had to update your car’s usb module. Thanks.
I noticed today, I was occupied with something else when I got in car before leaving and then the USB came up on its own (after it seemed it wasnt connected)...I would say though the USB becoming disconnected after car sleeps has been a pretty regular/cyclic experience for me where I need to unplug/replug the usb drive in order to restore track playing (maybe about 1 in 5 times driving after has been parked overnight).

Yes, T-Parts as well.

Why didn't you purchase from T Parts which comes with the tool?

BTW even with the tool it is difficult to open up the center console

I would have gone with TParts if Tesla weren't selling the original data hub (which was also cheaper)... Anyways, I was able to get the center console trim removed with a Trim Removal tool that came with Mud Flaps I ordered.

The console trim is much easier to remove for my Model Y that was made in Shanghai compared to my previous one made in Fremont, less force was required to dislodge it from the bottom.

Reactions: howardnj
I am having no issues with the Carkoopy data module I purchased from Amazon and my MYLR is on 2023.32.4. It has 2 high-speed USB-C ports for fast charging (a 65W that can charge my Surface Pro 7+, and a 30W port) plus 4 USB-A ports with data. I have my music drive and a receiver for a Logitech F710 attached with no issues. FWIW, it’s now available for $59.99 (I paid $70 for mine).

I have a Feb 2022 MYLR with the blue cable taped up next to the power cable, so I didn’t need to run any additional cables.

The data port in the glove compartment for the dashcam would occasionally need to be removed and reinserted after a scroll-wheel reboot to be recognized, but that hasn’t happened after the last few software updates.

I am having no issues with the Carkoopy data module I purchased from Amazon and my MYLR is on 2023.32.4. It has 2 high-speed USB-C ports for fast charging (a 65W that can charge my Surface Pro 7+, and a 30W port) plus 4 USB-A ports with data. I have my music drive and a receiver for a Logitech F710 attached with no issues. FWIW, it’s now available for $59.99 (I paid $70 for mine).

I have a Feb 2022 MYLR with the blue cable taped up next to the power cable, so I didn’t need to run any additional cables.

The data port in the glove compartment for the dashcam would occasionally need to be removed and reinserted after a scroll-wheel reboot to be recognized, but that hasn’t happened after the last few software updates.
Thanks. Sounds like my tparts module data chips went bad. Replaced with oem tesla module (data and power version) that I had bought long ago as a backup and it has been working as expected.

Having the same issue with the tparts module, have to reboot the card for it to work it seems. Putting in a request with Tesla to see if I can get the part from them.
@famoussasjohn , interesting we both have the same issue around the same time. When I had my TPARTs module, I'd leave my USB stick plugged in all the time even if I was not using it. This time around, I'm plugging it in when I use it.

So after I replaced my busted T-Parts module with my spare Tesla OEM module, I thought it might be good to have another backup module. I figured the Tesla OEM module might be made better than the third party modules so I decided to buy a module from Tesla like I did the year prior. Last year I ordered it & picked up the module at the parts desk. Easy. Well this year was totally different in a bad way too.
This thread details my experience last week (9/2023) at a California Service Center.