Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Q2 production Model 3 missing matrix headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyway, people tried to get tesla to retrofit USB ports with data into their cars, and tesla basically said "no". Thats just the most recent, but relevant situation similar to this one that I can think of.
What comes to mind for me is back in 2020 when they stopped including auto-dimming side mirrors for about 6 months. At that time, they removed all wording referring to it on the website. I'm not sure if people received cars without them when it was still mentioned on the website at time of order, and whether Tesla did anything about it, if any.

Matrix headlights have never been specifically mentioned on the website, so they're probably getting away with it on a technicality, unfortunately.

• Informative
Reactions: stopcrazypp
Alright, I'm back from the Lynnwood, WA SC again. I'm going to provide the VIN, model, headlight, manufacture date below. There was a truck unloaded a bunch of 3s today, and I can confirm all the headlights are now the old one. The good things is they all have the charging port.

Data ordered by VIN ASC.

VINMFG DateheadlightModel
231xxx4/17NewLR
231xxx4/15NewLR
231xxx4/18NewLR
232xxx4/19NewLR
234xxx4/18NewLR
234xxx4/18NewLR
234xxx4/18NewLR
236xxx4/19NewLR
237xxx4/25OldLR
237xxx4/20NewLR
237xxx4/19NewPerf
237xxx4/17NewLR
238xxx4/19NewPerf
238xxx4/19NewPerf
238xxx4/21NewLR
239xxx4/21NewLR
239xxx4/22NewLR
240xxx4/22NewLR
240xxx4/22NewLR
240xxx4/22NewLR
241xxx4/27OldLR
242xxx4/26OldLR
242xxx4/28OldLR
244xxx4/29OldLR
245xxx4/23NewLR
245xxx4/29OldLR
245xxx4/30OldLR
246xxx4/30OldLR
246xxx4/29OldLR
damn -- kudos to the amount of due diligence and the daring to walk around the lots noting the mfg date and such 🙌🙌🙌

The most recent parallel to this would be the removal of data from the front USB ports in the model 3 and Y. Tesla appeared to have a parts shortage, and started shipping model 3s and Ys either without USB ports all together, or USB ports without data (only power). Of course, for the "no USB ports at all in the front console" they did retrofit those when the parts came in.... but it was with the "non data" USB ports.

There was a pretty big uproar over that as the only data port in the front of the 3 and Y is now in the glove compartment, and it means you cant plug in a USB controller to the front ports (as no data) unless you use the one in the glove compartment.

Anyway, people tried to get tesla to retrofit USB ports with data into their cars, and tesla basically said "no". Thats just the most recent, but relevant situation similar to this one that I can think of.

If the car came without headlights (it obviously cant) they would retrofit, but I dont think there would be any guarantee that they would put X or Y in there, just "headlights that have passed testing for the vehicle." The order agreement doesnt promise "matrix" headlights so anyone thinking they can force tesla to provide them because "it was there when I ordered it!" would need to show where that specifically was there.

You can search threads on the USB issue to see the discussion, but to save you time hunting one of the threads down, here is the most active one I remember.

This is only relevant as its a similar change to parts after order but before pickup. In the above case people figured out how to retrofit something that would return USB data to those ports, but that was not from or through tesla.

I am not a lawyer (and also did not stay in a holiday inn express, to use a well worn joke) but I dont think anyone will get very far legally trying to get tesla to do anything in this situation.

Now, whether its a temp change or not, I have no idea. If its important to you, I suggest continuing to read here and elsewhere as people sleuth out this stuff.

its why I said that it was the right decision to split this out of the waiting room thread, this is a separate thing and will likely interest some very much, and generate its own discussion.

Hopefully you all end up with what you want... but as I said, I wouldnt accept delivery if this is a "cant live without it" feature because someone expects tesla to "retrofit / change them out later". Of course, anything is possible, but... they certainly have not done things like that in the past.
Might it be worth trying to get some sort of compensation if the headlights are not matrix? Like asking for free/discounted Acceleration Boost (LR only)?

Yes but IDK if that extra 40+ miles highway range is going to be regretted. Living in vegas and then driving to socal, will I feel those extra 40+ miles plus some efficiency wouldve made a difference in what I can do in socal or will I feel Im always having to find an available supercharger? Thats the question.
That's definitely an outlier use case. I would check the regional forums (LV and Socal) to see what people who make that drive do. If they are charging anyways, might as well get a M3P. If you can make it comfortably in a single charge in a LR, you might have a tough decision. Things that also matter are how often you make that drive and what % charge people are at before making that trip. I assume you would charge to 100% for a long trip.

Might it be worth trying to get some sort of compensation if the headlights are not matrix? Like asking for free/discounted Acceleration Boost (LR only)?

If you are asking my opinion, you can certainly ask, but I would not go in "expecting" anything. This is true of most things, but speaking as someone who has worked in some form of customer service (either providing it or leading a team that provides it) for my entire career, there is always someone who can say "yes" to a request like that.

The trick is, A) finding that person, and B) convincing that person that YOUR situation is one they should approve / make an exception for. What goes a long way in making sure that DOESNT happen, is going at someone with a bunch of "outrage and indignation" and "You cant do XXXX!!!!" or any aggressive language.

Now, I dont work in vehicles (I work in IT) but "customer service is customer service" as it were, and Tesla employees are particularly "beaten down" compared to some other customer service situations, because of being handcuffed a bit in what they can approve, and the fact that all the people who can say "yes" have been expertly hidden by tesla (because "yes" almost always costs extra money).

If I were after something like that, I certainly wouldnt post about it here, I would ask them about it, after letting them know I was disappointed in the situation but knew that they personally did not have any input on the removal of the lights.

I also doubt that those employees can do anything at all about flipping that acceleration boost upgrade switch without money changing hands, or even discounting it (because its likely got a locked in price in their systems) but they might be able to do something like compensate with a wall connector, or something on hand they can comp.

Those are guesses, but what isnt a guess is, going at a customer service person with any sort of fire and brimstone over something like this is not going to get anyone anywhere.

Yes but IDK if that extra 40+ miles highway range is going to be regretted. Living in vegas and then driving to socal, will I feel those extra 40+ miles plus some efficiency wouldve made a difference in what I can do in socal or will I feel Im always having to find an available supercharger? Thats the question.

The actual difference in range between a LR and P is more due to the tires than anything else. A performance can go just as far as a LR, if it was on similar tires and driven similarly.

Reactions: Not That M3
Will LR wheels fit on the P? If so, trade your P wheels for LR wheels + cash. Then go buy a set of aftermarket wheels that fit your style. Use the aftermarket wheels locally, and when you want to go on a longer trip swap over to the LR wheels/tires to get better range.

Interesting data. Have we yet to prove that any new Model 3 Performance are not part of the old headlight change? The data is inconclusive there still.

While I do like the extra range of the 3LR and is what I have ordered, I only need it for the occasional Las Vegas to San Diego trip. Probably means an extra 5 mins at a supercharger kind of thing if I swap to Performance. I guess Im trying to justify an upgrade…with more accel and better looks. 7k is 7k though.
I’m a new M3P owner, took delivery at the end of Feb. Before I placed my order I was having the same struggle, do I order the LR or performance? I knew I would be buying acceleration boost and 19” wheels if I got the long range, which as others have mentioned narrows the price gap.

I tend to keep my cars for a while which makes it easier to justify spending a little more but in the end I didn’t want to feel regret every time I got in my car that I didn’t get the one I really wanted.

Will LR wheels fit on the P? If so, trade your P wheels for LR wheels + cash. Then go buy a set of aftermarket wheels that fit your style. Use the aftermarket wheels locally, and when you want to go on a longer trip swap over to the LR wheels/tires to get better range.
@Jmauld Forum knowledge says the 18" Tesla aero wheels won't clear the M3P PUP brakes, specifically the rear parking brake, but there are many aftermarket 18x8.5" wheels that fit, including at least one 18x8.5" aero wheel with removable aero covers.

If you put that 18x8.5" aero wheel + Tesla-spec 18" MXM4 that the base LR model comes with, you should see nearly identical efficiency and range.

In theory the PUP spoiler and brakes can both affect drag, however I'm quite certain Tesla has thoroughly optimized all of their brakes and spoilers for efficiency...I fact I think Tesla has claimed the M3P spoiler reduces high speed drag. (Now for aftermarket brakes or spoilers I'd be *very* wary of drag increases - I'm only talking about the Tesla factory stuff here.)

HOWEVER...if you're the kind of buyer to appreciate and spend money on a performance car, you probably don't want the MXM4. Yes they're very efficient, and long-lasting as well, but the drive like crap, low grip, mushy sidewalls, poor road feel. They're okay for someone who just drives and doesn't push their car hard, but then why spend extra $ on a Performance model?

As a reference point I noticed better efficiency after I downsized my M3P from the stock 20" wheels to 18x8.5" non-aero, still running "max performance" summer tires. For sure my setup is not as efficient as MXM4 on aero wheels, but compared to stock M3P it grips, feels, and rides better, while also being more efficient, and having much more wheel protection (the biggest reason I made the change!), so it's a good compromise for me as a performance-minded driver. I recommend the change *if* you are buying an M3P anyways, but I *don't* recommend buying an M3P just to put MXM4's on it!

Last edited:
If you are asking my opinion, you can certainly ask, but I would not go in "expecting" anything. This is true of most things, but speaking as someone who has worked in some form of customer service (either providing it or leading a team that provides it) for my entire career, there is always someone who can say "yes" to a request like that.

The trick is, A) finding that person, and B) convincing that person that YOUR situation is one they should approve / make an exception for. What goes a long way in making sure that DOESNT happen, is going at someone with a bunch of "outrage and indignation" and "You cant do XXXX!!!!" or any aggressive language.

Now, I dont work in vehicles (I work in IT) but "customer service is customer service" as it were, and Tesla employees are particularly "beaten down" compared to some other customer service situations, because of being handcuffed a bit in what they can approve, and the fact that all the people who can say "yes" have been expertly hidden by tesla (because "yes" almost always costs extra money).

If I were after something like that, I certainly wouldnt post about it here, I would ask them about it, after letting them know I was disappointed in the situation but knew that they personally did not have any input on the removal of the lights.

I also doubt that those employees can do anything at all about flipping that acceleration boost upgrade switch without money changing hands, or even discounting it (because its likely got a locked in price in their systems) but they might be able to do something like compensate with a wall connector, or something on hand they can comp.

Those are guesses, but what isnt a guess is, going at a customer service person with any sort of fire and brimstone over something like this is not going to get anyone anywhere.

Semi-related story regarding customer service (point A & B); In 2019 I had a Model 3 on order but they removed the Mid-Range option. My only choice was to go to different models. Since the LR option was $2000 more, Tesla provided the paint color I ordered for free. It was Red and $2000 at the time. This was done by a Regional Sales Advisor and only after I vocalized I should not be charged more because what I ordered was not available anymore.

Semi-related story regarding customer service (point A & B); In 2019 I had a Model 3 on order but they removed the Mid-Range option. My only choice was to go to different models. Since the LR option was $2000 more, Tesla provided the paint color I ordered for free. It was Red and $2000 at the time. This was done by a Regional Sales Advisor and only after I vocalized I should not be charged more because what I ordered was not available anymore.
Unfortunately since matrix LED was never a documented or advertised feature I don’t think we have any leg to stand on for this 😒

Reactions: Junior86
I'm honestly not sure what to do about these headlights either. I guess it depends on whether or not they plan to start putting them back in. I feel like waiting this long has already been painful enough (especially since we've been sharing one car for our family of 4 for the last 2.5 months). I'm not sure I can wait another 3 months (or more). I texted my SA and she responded with the typical "we can't confirm anything until you're assigned a VIN". I guess we'll just wait and see. 😞

Reactions: Junior86
Unfortunately since matrix LED was never a documented or advertised feature I don’t think we have any leg to stand on for this 😒
I have a leg to stand on. It's called refusing delivery. It's different for everyone but I'm perfectly fine with waiting more months as I feel I paid too much to accept anything but the most recent tech.