Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Q2 production Model 3 missing matrix headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone! First time posting on the forum and wanted to give everyone an update on my situation with the matrix headlights.

Order Date: Oct. 31
Spec: M3 RWD - white on white - 18" - no fsd
VIN in app: May 2
Scheduled Delivery: May 10

After trying to find out from multiple different people if my car had matrix after being assigned a VIN, my SA was able to confirm with engineering that it does not. Manufacture date is 04/26, and vin is 241xx.

My SA was actually very rude about it, saying that "it is what it is" and "this is Tesla, and this is how we work, take it or leave it" when I asked why I was being downgraded. Additionally, I was very quickly told that they would not offer any rebate, discount, retrofit or any other action taken by the delivery center.

After speaking to a manager because of the extremely rude manner / tone in which I was spoken to by my SA, she basically apologized but reiterated politely that there was nothing they can do, and the situation really is take it or leave it. No guarantees Matrix will come on later builds, or how long it would take to get the next build. This is on top of the fact that I would loose a portion of my provincial incentives.

I drove by the delivery center twice, and noticed that a majority of the vehicles did have matrix headlights, and only found 1-2 Model 3's (white on black) with the old reflector style headlights. However, there was only a hand full of cars that did not have their charge ports covered, and this was a particularly full, if not overflowing lot.

Currently, I am waiting for my delivery day but my vehicle was scheduled to arrive today and hasn't yet according to an agent I spoke to from the call center.

I really was looking forward to the Matrix headlights, it was definitely one of my most anticipated features especially due to the potential for future OTA updates, so i'm very disappointed to see that go on my build and in the way Tesla is handling this situation. I am inclined to decline delivery, but with my financing already approved, the chance of loosing my incentives and playing the waiting game all over again I can't really justify it. I really tried to get them to accept a retrofit, but they were not budging whatsoever.

Anyone got any input / advice on what they'd do, or anything about the charge port situation as well? I've been reading that the charge port's are mostly missing on the vehicles with the matrix headlights (not sure what the correlation is though), and confirmed today because most of the vehicles on the lot did have missing ECU's indicated by the stickers, and most of them did have matrix headlights. Can anyone confirm if a vehicle could come with the old headlights and the missing charge port ECU?

I've been reading that the charge port's are mostly missing on the vehicles with the matrix headlights (not sure what the correlation is though), and confirmed today because most of the vehicles on the lot did have missing ECU's indicated by the stickers, and most of them did have matrix headlights. Can anyone confirm if a vehicle could come with the old headlights and the missing charge port ECU?
@GH-M3RWD I haven't followed the missing charger parts/ports situation closely, however it's probably the timing of when Fremont ran out of charging parts, and then got them back in stock, vs when they ran out of matrix headlights.

Basically I suspect Fremont ran out of matrix LED headlights after getting all the charging parts back in stock. So few or none of the charge-crippled cars have the old headlights.

Delivery center lots will of course be full of charge-crippled cars because Tesla hasn't nearly caught up with retrofitting them yet, despite the factory getting new stock of the charging parts. The lots won't be full of old headlight cars because most or all of those were built with fully functional charging and are ready for delivery to customers, no retrofits needed, they'll get prepped and delivered ASAP. (Well you might say matrix headlights should be retrofitted but clearly Tesla disagrees!)

Hello Everyone! First time posting on the forum and wanted to give everyone an update on my situation with the matrix headlights.

After trying to find out from multiple different people if my car had matrix after being assigned a VIN, my SA was able to confirm with engineering that it does not. Manufacture date is 04/26, and vin is 241xx.

My SA was actually very rude about it, saying that "it is what it is" and "this is Tesla, and this is how we work, take it or leave it" when I asked why I was being downgraded. Additionally, I was very quickly told that they would not offer any rebate, discount, retrofit or any other action taken by the delivery center.

After speaking to a manager because of the extremely rude manner / tone in which I was spoken to by my SA, she basically apologized but reiterated politely that there was nothing they can do, and the situation really is take it or leave it. No guarantees Matrix will come on later builds, or how long it would take to get the next build. This is on top of the fact that I would loose a portion of my provincial incentives.

I drove by the delivery center twice, and noticed that a majority of the vehicles did have matrix headlights, and only found 1-2 Model 3's (white on black) with the old reflector style headlights. However, there was only a hand full of cars that did not have their charge ports covered, and this was a particularly full, if not overflowing lot.

Currently, I am waiting for my delivery day but my vehicle was scheduled to arrive today and hasn't yet according to an agent I spoke to from the call center.

I really was looking forward to the Matrix headlights, it was definitely one of my most anticipated features especially due to the potential for future OTA updates, so i'm very disappointed to see that go on my build and in the way Tesla is handling this situation. I am inclined to decline delivery, but with my financing already approved, the chance of loosing my incentives and playing the waiting game all over again I can't really justify it. I really tried to get them to accept a retrofit, but they were not budging whatsoever.

Anyone got any input / advice on what they'd do, or anything about the charge port situation as well? I've been reading that the charge port's are mostly missing on the vehicles with the matrix headlights (not sure what the correlation is though), and confirmed today because most of the vehicles on the lot did have missing ECU's indicated by the stickers, and most of them did have matrix headlights. Can anyone confirm if a vehicle could come with the old headlights and the missing charge port ECU?

It sucks man, I'm right there with you. Mine was built 4/23 and doesn't have the matrix lights. Hate to give you the answer you don't want but yes... mine was also shipped without the chargeport. Thankfully it was only a couple of days for them to install it. Arrived thursday/Friday & installed saturday..Saturday... picking up tomorrow

@GH-M3RWD I haven't followed the missing charger parts/ports situation closely, however it's probably the timing of when Fremont ran out of charging parts, and then got them back in stock, vs when they ran out of matrix headlights.

Basically I suspect Fremont ran out of matrix LED headlights after getting all the charging parts back in stock. So few or none of the charge-crippled cars have the old headlights.

Delivery center lots will of course be full of charge-crippled cars because Tesla hasn't nearly caught up with retrofitting them yet, despite the factory getting new stock of the charging parts. The lots won't be full of old headlight cars because most or all of those were built with fully functional charging and are ready for delivery to customers, no retrofits needed, they'll get prepped and delivered ASAP. (Well you might say matrix headlights should be retrofitted but clearly Tesla disagrees!)

I knew I was special! 4/23 build with both - no chargeport & the old school lights!

I've been told I have the Matrix lights, build 4/22, VIN 2411xx and my car did wait for the charging part.

@GH-M3RWD Without being an excuse for rudeness, I can only imagine how frustrating it can be to be an SA right now. Not sure they get a lot of info from head office.

What centre was this at? Montreal, Laval or St-Bruno? Also wondering, out of curiosity, if your SA's last name is Lalumière?

I know it can be frustrating to have the "old" headlights but like you say does it worth loosing $1K in rebates.

Spoke with a different SA, they forgot to put a hold on my account which is why I matched with the same VIN. It's now 3 day hold before I can be matched again. I was able to get the build date of 04/26 for that 2414xx VIN which falls in line with our spreadsheet of missing Global headlights

Took delivery today, M3P 4/26 build date, 241xxx VIN It has the matrix lights and no charge port issues. Mobile charger was in the trunk. I don't think Performance cars were affected by this. My car was built right in the middle of these issues.

Reactions: Mr. Nuke