Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Sunrise Ace a Tesla ship?
We don't know yet. The fact that she's heading to Zeebrugge makes her a prime suspect though.
The problem I have yet to resolve is her dates. She arrives in Zeebrugge on 17 Feb and that would suggest to me that she will be stopping somewhere else on the way there. There are a couple of possible stops and if we find those then that will give us further indications of whether she is a Tesla ship or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmhumphreys
(I likely know the answer to this but was curious so I’ll ask anyway..)

given we roughly know how long before delivery people get assigned VINs and reg numbers, we may be able to roughly assign a time window to that - eg 2-4 weeks before delivery. And we know the routes most ships take from Shanghai to Southampton.

Based on that, would it be possible to draw an approximate ‘VIN zone’ on the map so people have an idea that they probably won’t hear anything until a ship enters the zone, and if they don’t hear anything by the time it leaves, their car perhaps isn’t on that ship?

Reactions: jmhumphreys
(I likely know the answer to this but was curious so I’ll ask anyway..)

given we roughly know how long before delivery people get assigned VINs and reg numbers, we may be able to roughly assign a time window to that - eg 2-4 weeks before delivery. And we know the routes most ships take from Shanghai to Southampton.

Based on that, would it be possible to draw an approximate ‘VIN zone’ on the map so people have an idea that they probably won’t hear anything until a ship enters the zone, and if they don’t hear anything by the time it leaves, their car perhaps isn’t on that ship?
I asked a similar question, got directed to the 1st post of this thread, which states that VINs are assigned after the car is loaded onto a ship :)
I'm not convinced — not saying it's not true, I just believe it's not a rule, as Tesla's delivery process seemingly has no rules (or many rules, whichever way you look at it) :)
I've also heard that cars destined for EU are assigned VINs once they (the ship) enters EU waters, but it may a rumor, couldn't verify it.

I have been waiting for my UK - MY since Dec 21, my account says they are preparing my invoice, it must be a large one as it been processing for nearly three weeks.
I doubt I am an early Feb collection, I guess I must be a March one.... do we know when the ship or ships would leave Shanghai to make a March delivery?

I have been waiting for my UK - MY since Dec 21, my account says they are preparing my invoice, it must be a large one as it been processing for nearly three weeks.
I doubt I am an early Feb collection, I guess I must be a March one.... do we know when the ship or ships would leave Shanghai to make a March delivery?

looking earlier in the thread the boats are about 30 days from leaving port to arriving at Southampton, so boats leaving next week would be arriving first week of March roughly. Assuming they’ll be delivering all throughout March there may be activity the first three weeks of feb? Not sure how tight they like cutting the end of the quarter to go much later than that..

Reactions: Pau1
as frustrating as it can be, it is similar with other manufacturers too - BMW would never tell me anything until it arrived and I got a choice of registration number. i was still on bmw forums tracking boats :)
That's true about choosing reg numbers with other manufacturers as I have always done so previously. Tesla will not (or cannot) do this. I was told that they are all assigned direct by DVLA at some point while in transit or soon after docking at Southampton. Tesla apparently have no control or involvement in this process other than to tell the customer once assigned. Would be interested to know if anyone has had any other experience with Tesla.

looking earlier in the thread the boats are about 30 days from leaving port to arriving at Southampton, so boats leaving next week would be arriving first week of March roughly. Assuming they’ll be delivering all throughout March there may be activity the first three weeks of feb? Not sure how tight they like cutting the end of the quarter to go much later than that..
Totally thinking the same thing! I have a particular interest in the shipping tranche following VIKING BRAVERY as I think these will be the ones carrying M3s to Southampton for late February arrival and early March delivery :D

Reactions: ivanbrazza and Pau1
Is Hyperion Ray ahead of schedule? She has 3 days to reach Suez from her current position? I wonder if we will see her slow down once past the more dangerous waters
I've just looked and she has about 1150NM to travel until the entrance of the Suez Canal.
She looks to me to be making good progress to arrive on time there. (Saturday night for a transit early on Sunday morning)

Reactions: PeteB
I asked a similar question, got directed to the 1st post of this thread, which states that VINs are assigned after the car is loaded onto a ship :)
I'm not convinced — not saying it's not true, I just believe it's not a rule, as Tesla's delivery process seemingly has no rules (or many rules, whichever way you look at it) :)
I've also heard that cars destined for EU are assigned VINs once they (the ship) enters EU waters, but it may a rumor, couldn't verify it.

I've just looked and she has about 1150NM to travel until the entrance of the Suez Canal.
She looks to me to be making good progress to arrive on time there. (Saturday night for a transit early on Sunday morning)
any update on Grande California? Her last position "for free" is shown just outside Suez

It looks very much like MSC IMMACOLATA is waiting for SFL COMPOSER to depart from Shanghai South. I'm puzzled by this sudden surge in import/export activity from Shanghai South which has traditionally been principally a port for domestic shipments. Shanghai South has previously been restricted by limited secure parking space for vehicles, no fulltime customs and a limited number of experienced stevedores. Something has changed.

HELIOS RAY has departed to Singapore and so is on my watch list. I can't imagine that she will have a full load, despite the efficiency of the Haitong stevedores, because of the relatively short time she spent alongside.

The current positions of the known 'Tesla' fleet is shown below:

GRANDE CALIFORNIA ETA Southampton 03 Feb, Zeebrugge 04 Feb
HOEGH TRAVELLER ETA Zeebrugge 12 Feb
HYPERION RAY I estimate will arrive Southampton around 07 Feb and Zeebrugge 08 Feb
VIKING BRAVERY I estimate Southampton around 13 Feb and Zeebrugge on 16 Feb

Screenshot 2022-01-27 at 12.34.04.png

The following 2 charts show the positions of vessels of interest. These are ships whose itineraries have not yet been determined but so far look suspiciously like they could be carrying Teslas but nothing is confirmed yet. In my experience, most will turn out not to be carrying Teslas.

A number of vessels have been removed from the watch list over the last 24 hours based on information received. It's perhaps worth noting that I have removed a couple of vessels purely because they are not destined to Europe - GRAND ORION and CASTOR LEADER but both these ships will eventually call at Dubai - a port expecting a Tesla shipment next month. If I subsequently find out that any ship is carrying Teslas I will specifically report it on the thread.

SUNRISE ACE will call at Zeebrugge on 17 Feb which suggests she will call somewhere else beforehand - still looking.
I have still no idea where GLOVIS CONDOR is heading to.

Screenshot 2022-01-27 at 12.44.33.png

The second flotilla:

Screenshot 2022-01-27 at 12.53.16.png

I am a little surprised that MORNING CRYSTAL has still not docked in Shanghai - she was due to depart to Australia, probably with Teslas onboard, on Tuesday but remains holding off the coast waiting to be called in.

There was a welcome flurry of entries to the HYPERION RAY competition yesterday. The competition will close for new entries on Saturday evening (when HYPERION RAY arrives at the entrance of the Suez Canal) and so I suggest you enter now, if you haven't already - it's free. Click HERE to enter.

HYPERION RAY
Just a couple of points on her.
Her actual schedule remains unknown, however we do know she is carrying Teslas and will call at Southampton and Zeebrugge. I have given ETAs based on her routing direct.
As I have mentioned before, there is some speculation elsewhere on t'interweb that she may call at Ashdod, Israel beforehand. This remains an unconfirmed rumour for the moment. However, if she does call there this could delay her arrival at Southampton by 2 or 3 days and that looks a much neater arrival date for her if she is carrying the UK's initial consignment of Model Y.
As I've also said before, if she is going to call at Ashdod I would expect her there on 31 Jan (which is too early according to some Israeli commentators)
I hope this clarifies the situation.
It is a jigsaw and the pieces don't always match straight away.....

My invoice has been cooking since Novemebr the 8th 2021 :) I've heard of people waiting since July

• Funny
Reactions: Pau1
Status
Not open for further replies.