Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So the winds have died down but GLOVIS CONDOR stubbornly holds her ground out in the Southern North Sea not even making a move to bring her closer to Zeebrugge and the more traditional Zeebrugge anchorages. Strange.
Today I'm going to be watching MSC IMMACOLATA as she emerges from the Suez Canal - will she head to Southampton or is she going straight to Zeebrugge?
Over in Shanghai we can see that GLOVIS SYMPHONY is now alongside Shanghai South but what many will have missed is RCC CLASSIC waiting impatiently in the wings.
Just when I thought that this quarter was more or less over......
I was informed by TA (Paige) that my M3 is on the MSC Immacolata due for delivery early March in Glasgow, so hoping it stopping at Southampton.

Updated photos on this page - the EV lithium batteries are on fire - worst situation imaginable I would think.. Felicity Ace Car Carrier Continues to Burn in Mid-Atlantic - Photos
I would be surprised if EV batteries actually started the fire although the popular press may suggest it was.
I'm also disappointed at how quickly this fire became out of control and spread.
Fire is recognised to be probably the biggest threat to the ship and so in addition to the required detector systems, patrols of the decks are made every day to ensure both cargo security (lashings are secure) and for any indications of fire. (Increased patrols for used cars)
Regular fire drills are performed and maintenance of fire fighting equipment is given top priority.
Normal 12v batteries are often regarded as a major source of fire and not only on used cars.
The car decks are normally fitted with low pressure CO2 systems to extinguish fires. These systems are not automatic because of the danger to life and can only deal with one deck at a time. Everyone must be physically accounted for before this system is used.
On each vehicle deck there will be at least one foam applicator for connection to the main fire system and 2 portable foam tanks too.
Normal pressurized water sytems will be available throughout the ship and on the car decks water fog nozzles on a long reach pole are available. These are very effective when slid along the deck under the cars. (Cars are parked so tightly, access can be an issue)
The engine room is normally protected with a high pressure CO2 system in addition to water misting systems.
Fire dampers will be used to seal off a deck and try and prevent the spread of smoke and heat.

Looking at the photos it would appear that the fire started towards the stern on Deck 7. It also looks like the dampers are not shut (or perhaps only the dampers for the decks affected when the crew abandoned ship had been closed). Once a fire takes hold it can be very disorientating for the crew to fight the fire as car alarms start sounding, headlights flash and waves of thick acrid smoke obscure the scene. Containment is then the priority.

In May 2019 Grimaldi's GRANDE EUROPA caught fire whilst off the Spanish coast in the Mediterranean. It had no less than 2 separate fires in brand new vehicles within the space of 4 hours. As a result Grimaldi devised a battery disconnect procedure after loading to reduce the risk.

Screenshot 2022-02-19 at 13.19.36.png

HOEGH XIAMEN was alongside loading when a fire broke out on a car deck in June 2020. She was loading used cars for export to Nigeria and a 12v battery was the source of ignition for that fire. The horror of this fire was that she was alongside in Jacksonville, Florida where arguably some of the best fire fighting equipment and trained personnel were quickly on the scene and yet the fire burned for days resulting in the total destruction of the ship and about 2200 cars. Arguments that 12v batteries should be disconnected once cars are loaded have re-emerged with strong arguments both for and against. The NTSB have stated that the fire actually started from an improperly disconnected battery. The ship had been chartered by Grimaldi who briefed the stevedores of their requirement to follow their battery disconnection procedure. The US Coastguard subsequently examined a sample of 59 vehicles that had been loaded and not one of them had the battery secured in accordance with the procedure. Read the NTSB report

Screenshot 2022-02-19 at 13.17.07.png

Read the NTSB report

I did read that. Quite shocking is the part about the radio communication where for more than 10 minutes caller for help on ship and coast guard are unable to communicate which each other orderly and to make clear where the ship in question is located. Eventually a nearby passenger vessel tells the coast guard what is going on and a passerby on land calls 911.

I had a match and delivery dated for 9th March , got the text on 11th Feb Then a text on the 16th with the news it had failed PDI. I went to the Aberdeen SC and after some research it has been damaged but can’t be repaired in time .They had never seen a PDI fail text …. Trying for a match but it looks more like Q2 for me

3LR in white , black interior , sport wheels and tow hitch , never worked out what ship it’s on. But I do know cars are damaged a lot more than you think in transit ….then repaired before you get it.

Reactions: iorgosg
Status
Not open for further replies.