Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The first competition of Q3!....

MORNING CHORUS Competition

Where will MORNING CHORUS be at Midday UTC on 12 Aug 22?
She should be sailing between Suez and Southampton.
View attachment 831854

All you have to do is choose a major square and then one of the 25 minor squares within it, that you think the ship will be located in.
(I realise they aren't actually square!)

View attachment 831855

Although a lot of likely major squares contain land, careful selection of the minor square will place your selection at sea eg Major Square P3 and Minor Square 23 is fine but P3 and 1 is going to be a loser!

Only 1 entry per person
In the event of a tie, the person who chose the closest small square first will be declared the winner.
The competition will close for entries at Midday UTC on 05 Aug 22 .
There is no prize - it's just bit of fun!
Results will be announced on the shipping thread on 12 Aug 22.

You don't need to sign in to Google or enter an email address to enter!
BUT please enter your real TMC forum username. Thank you

Click HERE to enter
It seemed strange at first that, not only is the height of the major "squares" inconsistent between rows, it actually increases as one moves North! It then hit me that those horizontal lines are not randomly splitting the map into rectangles, but are in fact latitude lines, apparently marking every 5˚ of latitude. Similarly, the vertical edges seem to mark every 5˚ of longitude. That, in turn, means each minor square marks a 1˚x1˚ geographical area, so one can simply select their choice of location in Google Maps, check the coordinates and figure out the matching major and minor squares.

For instance, the lower left corner of major square O3 has the coordinates 35˚N 10˚W, so Tangier, bordering the Strait of Gibraltar and having the coordinates 35.77˚N 5.82˚W will be in major square O3, minor square 25 (less than a degree north and just over 4 degrees east from the lower left corner of the major square).

As I type this, I realise many of those following this thread are thinking "Well, duh!" because this was obvious to them, but maybe some will find it an interesting bit of info.

It seemed strange at first that, not only is the height of the major "squares" inconsistent between rows, it actually increases as one moves North! It then hit me that those horizontal lines are not randomly splitting the map into rectangles, but are in fact latitude lines, apparently marking every 5˚ of latitude. Similarly, the vertical edges seem to mark every 5˚ of longitude. That, in turn, means each minor square marks a 1˚x1˚ geographical area, so one can simply select their choice of location in Google Maps, check the coordinates and figure out the matching major and minor squares.

For instance, the lower left corner of major square O3 has the coordinates 35˚N 10˚W, so Tangier, bordering the Strait of Gibraltar and having the coordinates 35.77˚N 5.82˚W will be in major square O3, minor square 25 (less than a degree north and just over 4 degrees east from the lower left corner of the major square).

As I type this, I realise many of those following this thread are thinking "Well, duh!" because this was obvious to them, but maybe some will find it an interesting bit of info.
The fact that there is a geographical correlation to the squares should be no surprise since that is the basis of the competition! You pick a square where you think the ship will be and at the specified time and date I put the lat/lon of the ship into my spreadsheet and it not only tells me which is the winning square but also how far out each entry was. It's not rocket science, however the calculation I use to calculate the distance is the haversine formula to account for the curvature of the earth. Feel free to google that.

To be honest it was much more fun when the ships were coming from the Panama Canal to Europe as the spread of entries was much larger. All the ships from China are effectively travelling in a narrow corridor all the way - there isn't much of a route variation unlike the transAtlantic voyages. In essence it should be much easier to win!

Last edited:
The fact that there is a geographical correlation to the squares should be no surprise since that is the basis of the competition! You pick a square where you think the ship will be and at the specified time and date I put the lat/lon of the ship into my spreadsheet and it not only tells me which is the winning square but also how far out each entry was. It's not rocket science, however the calculation I used to calculate the distance is the haversine formula to account for the curvature of the earth. Feel free to google that.
I usually haversine when I’m stood at the side of the road hitchhiking…

Last edited:
Saturday 23 Jul 22

Tesla Ship Tracker Live position updates via satellite, the most accurate Tesla ship tracking chart on the web!

MORNING CHORUS completed her refuel off Singapore and resumed her voyage to the Suez Canal. She is currently in the Straits of Malacca, which until recently was notorious for pirate activity. The good news is that RoRos are not an easy target because of the high sheer sides of the ships and are generally left alone. Nevertheless, precautionary measures will have been taken and one of them is maintaining high speed. She is currently maintaining over 17 kts which is fine. ETA Southampton 15 Aug . Don't forget to enter the MORNING CHORUS competition - click HERE to enter!

GLOVIS SUMMIT is continuing to maintain a high average speed on her way to Singapore for a refuel. She is currently doing nearly 19kts which is a fast cruising speed for this vessel. She is still in the South China Sea and should arrive off Singapore on Monday. There has been a flurry of VIN activity today and I suspect this relates to vehicles onboard her. It would also seem to confirm that she is likely to be headed to Zeebruge with an ETA ~17 or 18 Aug

The suspects.
The VIN activity today has been very interesting and many EDD have slipped right and so I wonder if the suspect vessels really are suspect anymore.
We'll give it a day or two for everyone to check for their hidden VINs in the source code (see how to do this in the Links of Interest) and see if their EDD has been revised. This is primarily aimed at those on the continent.
LEO SPIRIT is now in the Mediterranean and heading to Livorno, Italy whilst POSEIDON LEADER continues up the Red Sea towards Suez.

There is still no sign of the next ship to UK/EU form Shanghai. LAKE GENEVA which I mentioned the other day continues to loiter to the west of Jeju Island - very odd.
The latest WuWa video confirms that the Shanghai GF is only producing MY at the moment.

Links of interest

PS It's also worth noting for the record that GLOVIS CORONA has changed her destination to S Korea. This may be to facilitate a crew change as the port she is heading to is not one that is associated with any known Tesla activity.

Last edited:
Saturday 23 Jul 22

Tesla Ship Tracker Live position updates via satellite, the most accurate Tesla ship tracking chart on the web!

MORNING CHORUS completed her refuel off Singapore and resumed her voyage to the Suez Canal. She is currently in the Straits of Malacca, which until recently was notorious for pirate activity. The good news is that RoRos are not an easy target because of the high sheer sides of the ships and are generally left alone. Nevertheless, precautionary measures will have been taken and one of them is maintaining high speed. She is currently maintaining over 17 kts which is fine. ETA Southampton 15 Aug . Don't forget to enter the MORNING CHORUS competition - click HERE to enter!

GLOVIS SUMMIT is continuing to maintain a high average speed on her way to Singapore for a refuel. She is currently doing nearly 19kts which is a fast cruising speed for this vessel. She is still in the South China Sea and should arrive off Singapore on Monday. There has been a flurry of VIN activity today and I suspect this relates to vehicles onboard her. It would also seem to confirm that she is likely to be headed to Zeebruge with an ETA ~17 or 18 Aug

The suspects.
The VIN activity today has been very interesting and many EDD have slipped right and so I wonder if the suspect vessels really are suspect anymore.
We'll give it a day or two for everyone to check for their hidden VINs in the source code (see how to do this in the Links of Interest) and see if their EDD has been revised. This is primarily aimed at those on the continent.
LEO SPIRIT is now in the Mediterranean and heading to Livorno, Italy whilst POSEIDON LEADER continues up the Red Sea towards Suez.

There is still no sign of the next ship to UK/EU form Shanghai. LAKE GENEVA which I mentioned the other day continues to loiter to the west of Jeju Island - very odd.
The latest WuWa video confirms that the Shanghai GF is only producing MY at the moment.

Links of interest

PS It's also worth noting for the record that GLOVIS CORONA has changed her destination to S Korea. This may be to facilitate a crew change as the port she is heading to is not one that is associated with any Tesla activity.
And is it known which models got their VIN numbers today?

I'm keeping an eye on a RoRo ship called MEDITERRANEAN SEA which looks like she may be headed into Shanghai South.
She's not a ship I'm that familiar with and I would probably have put her down as another domestic ship but for the fact that I noted her in Port Said at the end of last month.

Last edited:
I'm keeping an eye on a RoRo ship called MEDITERRANEAN SEA which looks like she may be headed into Shanghai South.
She's not a ship I'm that familiar with and I would probably have put her down as another domestic ship but for the fact that I noted her in Port Said at the end of last month.
Seems a couple of domestic roro’s are also going into the port (SHIHAI and AN JI 21). It’s a busy port at the moment!

This May or may not help you, I found her schedule at the link below. If it’s correct she is in port early and her next stop is YOKOHAMA. Her last port call, NINGBO also lines up with the schedule.

Attachments

• 7200D710-828A-4F70-B7AC-A3EB91AC108D.jpeg
    7200D710-828A-4F70-B7AC-A3EB91AC108D.jpeg
    432.1 KB · Views: 92
  • 9ACDC492-AA55-42CE-A134-48C64CDADE06.jpeg
    9ACDC492-AA55-42CE-A134-48C64CDADE06.jpeg
    496.1 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Reactions: Seaview
Noticed that MORNING POST is off Shanghai but seemingly confused about where she should be. In trying to find out a schedule I noticed that MORNING LADY had been due to sail from Shanghai to Koper (departing 07/07 arriving around 18/08) but she didn't seem to leave South Korea. I wonder if something took her place?

Status
Not open for further replies.