Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tuesday 06 Sep 22

Click HERE to see a wonderful map of the world. Superimposed on it are the latest positions, updated via satellite, of confirmed Tesla ships.

Those ships are:

GLOVIS CHALLENGE is now in the Mediterranean and is bound for Barcelona where she is due to arrive on Friday, 09 Sep. I'm a little surprised by her current track which is well north of the normal shipping lanes. It looks like she went out of her way to cruise along the south coast of Crete.

GLOVIS SUNRISE is heading for Southampton and I would estimate she will arrive around 16 Sep. She is now in the Red Sea and making her way up to Suez where she should arrive tomorrow evening. I anticipate that she will transit the canal on Thursday.

LAST CHANCE to enter the GLOVIS SUNRISE competition! It's free and just a bit of fun to make your wait a bit more interesting. Enter HERE.
I originally stated that the competition would close on Friday 09 Sep but by then the ship will already be in the Mediterranean and so I am bringing forward the closure to tomorrow at Midday UTC. So if you haven't entered already, I suggest you do so now!

PAGANELLA is now preparing to depart Port Kembla. Her next stop will be Melbourne (09 Sep).

GLOVIS SUN Her ETA for Suez has now firmed up to 10 Sep. I strongly suspect she is heading for Zeebrugge - ETA ~ 19 Sep. She is about to enter the Gulf of Aden and is currently experiencing some quite choppy seas. I don't believe she will call at Southampton.

GLOVIS CRYSTAL is also heading for Suez, although she still hasn't updated her AIS destination. She is running about 48 hrs behind GLOVIS SUN. She is now confirmed to be heading for Koper with an arrival date of 16 Sep. She is encountering a bit of rough weather which will affect her speed but she will hopefully be able to make up for lost time when she arrives in the Red Sea.

GLOVIS COURAGE is crossing the Bay of Bengal and is heading for Suez. She is bound for Barcelona with an ETA of 20 Sep. Could she be heading to Southampton after Barcelona? I reckon an ETA of 27 Sep would tie-in nicely with the rumours. We shall see....

SUNRISE ACE is suspected of delivering Teslas to Singapore and is presently enroute to Barcelona (13 Sep) and eventually Zeebrugge on 21 Sep. Worth keeping an eye on possibly.

CARRERA is currently alongside Shanghai South. I assume she will be loading for a destination in the Far East.

Please check out the Links of interest There are some excellent links there which may answer any questions you have, like the easiest method to check whether you have a hidden VIN, or not.

Not a shipping update but just trying to get an insight after trying to find an answer in this forum...

When do we usually see the first ship of the next quarter getting start loading? As in, when is it on the radar? Start/middle/end of the quarter?

Again sorry if the answer exists.

• Disagree
Reactions: James7C2
Not a shipping update but just trying to get an insight after trying to find an answer in this forum...

When do we usually see the first ship of the next quarter getting start loading? As in, when is it on the radar? Start/middle/end of the quarter?

Again sorry if the answer exists.
Cars will be produced from first days of October, if they are at current production levels, I would expect the first ship to leave within 7-10 days as the dock will fill up fast. That ship could head anywhere though, EU, UK, AUS, Japan

Sunrise now slowing, waiting to start the first journey through Suez... Seems to be a long queue coming south, so will be waiting for some time i imagine...

1662559620347.png

01 Jul 22 Daily Update.

So Q3 is now underway...

MORNING PEACE has now arrived in Zeebrugge. I'm not sure she will have many, if any, Teslas left onboard after unloading stops in Barcelona and Southampton. She also spent a long time loading in Southampton's Eastern Docks which makes me think her Tesla work was completed in Southampton.

Over in Shanghai the GF is now closed until 05 Jul and Model Y production will not restart until 18 Jul at which point Model 3 production will cease until 06 Aug. As a result of all this reconfiguring production should be able to increase to around 2000 MY and 1100 M3 daily.

Nevertheless it seems that Australia is finally preparing to receive a shipment of MY. MORNING CLARA which departs on 10 Jul would have previously been the likely vessel for them however GRAND MARK is also heading to BNE, PK and MEL.
There are a suprisingly high number of RoRo services scheduled to run from Shanghai to Australia over the coming weeks. It would be good to learn the Australian EDDs to nail down the possible ships. PAGANELLA remains the most likely ship for NZ.

MORNING CHORUS is almost certainly a Tesla charter and she will depart on 16 Jul and arrive in Southampton on 11 Aug and Zeebrugge on 14 Aug. I'm struggling to find any likely departures before this one and so she could be the 1st ship of Q3 to UK/EU however it's still early days!

Otherwise I'm keeping an eye on GLOVIS SUMMIT which should arrive in Shanghai around 13 Jul. She will be heading to Europe but whether it will be with Teslas onboard remains to be seen.
Dear @Mr Miserable, many thanks for your perseverance and neverending daily updates.

Since we now are one week into September, is it then likely or at least reasonable to assume that GLOVIS COURAGE was the last Tesla-carrying vessel heading for EU and/or UK to leave Shanghai during Q3 2022?

And if there will be no more departures to EU and/or UK during Q3 2022, could you please share your thoughts on how this quarter has turned out?

I would be especially interested to read your opinion regarding the following:
  • Was the effect of the closed production in the Shanghai GF during July and August as expected?
  • Has the number of vessels to EU and/or UK been as predicted?
  • How accurate was the information in the German Teslamag article?
  • Were any of the suspects a true Tesla carrier?
And is already now possible to do predictions for Q4 2022?

Dear @Mr Miserable, many thanks for your perseverance and neverending daily updates.

Since we now are one week into September, is it then likely or at least reasonable to assume that GLOVIS COURAGE was the last Tesla-carrying vessel heading for EU and/or UK to leave Shanghai during Q3 2022?

And if there will be no more departures to EU and/or UK during Q3 2022, could you please share your thoughts on how this quarter has turned out?

I would be especially interested to read your opinion regarding the following:
  • Was the effect of the closed production in the Shanghai GF during July and August as expected?
  • Has the number of vessels to EU and/or UK been as predicted?
  • How accurate was the information in the German Teslamag article?
  • Were any of the suspects a true Tesla carrier?
And is already now possible to do predictions for Q4 2022?
Phew! That's quite a list.
First of all I wasn't expecting the GF closures, I never expected the complete shutdown and when the scheduled line closures were revealed they were for much longer than I would have expected. That said, all the work was completed ahead of schedule. I have no firm evidence to say the ramp up afterwards was slower than Tesla expected but I suspect that was the case. Nevertheless, the increased production level was immediately evident particularly for the MY Chinese domestic market - Q3 must hit an all-time record for China deliveries. The domestic car carriers are now almost a permanent feature at Shanghai South. As far as UK is concerned I am pretty sure Model Y will top the important September car sales figures by some margin.
I was expecting more ships in Q3 but the closures put paid to that. I was surprised by how late in the quarter UK and EU shipments left. I was also suprised at the number of shipments the UK received compared to EU. I suppose we should expect higher demand from the UK in Q1 and Q3 (a quirk of the UK registration system). We will have had 10 ships in Q3 to UK/EU which equates to about 45,000 vehicles. I suspect about 60-70% of those to be Model Y. There is a long list of waiting Model 3 buyers in the UK that I hope will have smiling faces in Q4.

The German Teslamag article was simply amazing and was probably as accurate as it could be at the time. It correctly told us the number of ships destined for the EU although the names of the vessels changed - RCC CLASSIC became RCC ANTWERP, GLOVIS SPIRIT became GLOVIS CHALLENGE, HELIOS RAY became GLOVIS CRYSTAL, GLOVIS CAPTAIN became GLOVIS SUN and GLOVIS CRYSTAL became GLOVIS COURAGE. The destinations were accurate (except for RCC ANTWERP which went to Koper instead of Barcelona). I have no idea as to whether the loads were correct but I suspect they were not far off the mark. I would love for the leak to be a regular occurrence and for it to include UK shipments as well!
The combination of the German leak and the exclusive use of Shanghai South for EU/UK shipments (apart from HOEGH ST PETERSBURG) cut down significantly the number of suspect vessels in Q3. This was also aided to a degree by the early VIN allocations, each 'shower' being fairly reliably allocated to an already identified ship that departed from Shanghai South. I'm pretty confident at the moment that we have not missed a shipment this quarter and it is possibly the first quarter where every ship was pretty much confirmed before it reached Singapore. For me personally, it's been the easiest quarter ever - I have not had to apply myself to the same degree as before. This has been due to the Tesla ships being pretty obvious, WuWa realising that videos of the docks have an audience, some outstanding research by @Darreno and the incredible support of @Frizzy and son. Thank you all.

As for Q4, I'm hoping to spot S/X transatlantic shipments to EU and about 12 ships from Shanghai to UK/EU. I don't think I'll be able to reliably track MIG shipments to UK or elsewhere. I expect it will be a bumper quarter, if nothing else but to get the numbers up for the year after the 'poor' Q2.

Having said all that, Q3 is still not over and there are still some unanswered questions eg will GLOVIS COURAGE head to Southampton after Barcelona??

Wednesday 07 Sep 22

Another neverending daily update!
Click HERE to see a wonderful map of the world. Superimposed on it are the latest positions, updated via satellite, of confirmed Tesla ships.

Those ships are:

GLOVIS CHALLENGE is bound for Barcelona where she is due to arrive on Friday. She is presently south of Sicily and has rejoined the normal shipping lanes after yesterday's scenic cruising of Crete.

GLOVIS SUNRISE is heading for Southampton and I would estimate she will arrive around 16 Sep. She has arrived off Suez and I expect her to join a northbound convoy tomorrow morning.

The GLOVIS SUNRISE competiton is now closed and a last minute rush has seen entries swell to a respectable 88. Roll on midday UTC 14 Sep!

PAGANELLA has now departed Port Kembla. Her next stop will be Melbourne (09 Sep).

GLOVIS SUN Her ETA for Suez has now firmed up to 10 Sep. I strongly suspect she is heading for Zeebrugge - ETA ~ 19 Sep. She is now in the calmer Gulf of Aden.

GLOVIS CRYSTAL is also heading for Suez, although she still hasn't updated her AIS destination. She is running about 48 hrs behind GLOVIS SUN. She is heading for Koper with an arrival date of 16 Sep. She is encountering a bit of rough weather which will affect her speed but she will hopefully be able to make up for lost time when she arrives in the Red Sea.

GLOVIS COURAGE is crossing the Bay of Bengal and is heading for Suez. She is bound for Barcelona with an ETA of 20 Sep. Could she be heading to Southampton after Barcelona? I reckon an ETA of 27 Sep would tie-in nicely with the rumours. We shall see....

SUNRISE ACE is suspected of delivering Teslas to Singapore and is presently enroute to Barcelona (13 Sep) and eventually Zeebrugge on 21 Sep. Worth keeping an eye on possibly but I think it a slim chance that she is actually carrying any Teslas.

CARRERA is still currently alongside Shanghai South. I assume she will be loading for a destination in the Far East.

Please check out the Links of interest There are some excellent links there which may answer any questions you have.

Phew! That's quite a list.
First of all I wasn't expecting the GF closures, I never expected the complete shutdown and when the scheduled line closures were revealed they were for much longer than I would have expected. That said, all the work was completed ahead of schedule. I have no firm evidence to say the ramp up afterwards was slower than Tesla expected but I suspect that was the case. Nevertheless, the increased production level was immediately evident particularly for the MY Chinese domestic market - Q3 must hit an all-time record for China deliveries. The domestic car carriers are now almost a permanent feature at Shanghai South. As far as UK is concerned I am pretty sure Model Y will top the important September car sales figures by some margin.
I was expecting more ships in Q3 but the closures put paid to that. I was surprised by how late in the quarter UK and EU shipments left. I was also suprised at the number of shipments the UK received compared to EU. I suppose we should expect higher demand from the UK in Q1 and Q3 (a quirk of the UK registration system). We will have had 10 ships in Q3 to UK/EU which equates to about 45,000 vehicles. I suspect about 60-70% of those to be Model Y. There is a long list of waiting Model 3 buyers in the UK that I hope will have smiling faces in Q4.

The German Teslamag article was simply amazing and was probably as accurate as it could be at the time. It correctly told us the number of ships destined for the EU although the names of the vessels changed - RCC CLASSIC became RCC ANTWERP, GLOVIS SPIRIT became GLOVIS CHALLENGE, HELIOS RAY became GLOVIS CRYSTAL, GLOVIS CAPTAIN became GLOVIS SUN and GLOVIS CRYSTAL became GLOVIS COURAGE. The destinations were accurate (except for RCC ANTWERP which went to Koper instead of Barcelona). I have no idea as to whether the loads were correct but I suspect they were not far off the mark. I would love for the leak to be a regular occurrence and for it to include UK shipments as well!
The combination of the German leak and the exclusive use of Shanghai South for EU/UK shipments (apart from HOEGH ST PETERSBURG) cut down significantly the number of suspect vessels in Q3. This was also aided to a degree by the early VIN allocations, each 'shower' being fairly reliably allocated to an already identified ship that departed from Shanghai South. I'm pretty confident at the moment that we have not missed a shipment this quarter and it is possibly the first quarter where every ship was pretty much confirmed before it reached Singapore. For me personally, it's been the easiest quarter ever - I have not had to apply myself to the same degree as before. This has been due to the Tesla ships being pretty obvious, WuWa realising that videos of the docks have an audience, some outstanding research by @Darreno and the incredible support of @Frizzy and son. Thank you all.

As for Q4, I'm hoping to spot S/X transatlantic shipments to EU and about 12 ships from Shanghai to UK/EU. I don't think I'll be able to reliably track MIG shipments to UK or elsewhere. I expect it will be a bumper quarter, if nothing else but to get the numbers up for the year after the 'poor' Q2.

Having said all that, Q3 is still not over and there are still some unanswered questions eg will GLOVIS COURAGE head to Southampton after Barcelona??
Thank you @Mr Miserable and happy to help. I think it goes without saying everyone in here really appreciates what you do for the community, your daily updates pulled a few people down from the ledge. Thank you very very much.

You can have a well earned rest for the rest of September!

Not the last ship for Southampton, I have been told twice in SC and by TA mine will arrive in Southampton on the 26th!

I cant see how Sunrise will take 19 days to travel up the Med and into UK?
Sunrise will be approaching SOU in 1 weeks time 15/16 Sept. But it can take a while for transport logistics to distribute the cars across the country.
Let’s see if anything follows her later.

I'm confused because when I was contacted about my delivery slot I was told you can choose between 28, 29 and 30, and nothing earlier because the car won't arrive before the 27th. When I asked if they meant the ship, they said no at the Bristol Collection centre. My hidden VIN first appeared on the 23rd August, which I think was 4 days after Sunrise left Shanghai (please correct me if I'm wrong with this date Mr Miserable). This would tie in with the common view that VIN's are being assigned just before the refuelling stop at Singapore. So on this basis that would put my car on Sunrise.

Mr Miserable, on the basis that all of Sunrise's cargo is unloaded at Southampton (4k+ cars) do you know how long it would take them to distribute this number. Could it be that they are scheduling deliveries for both w/c 19/09 and 26/09 from this shipment?

• Disagree
Reactions: James7C2
A question for @Mr Miserable

For those of us who were given pick-up options in the UK (e.g. mine is Bristol) of 28th/29th/30th Sept do you think our cars are on Sunrise even though its ETA is 10 days or so before our dates? Having read your latest post about Courage possibly coming to the UK I thought maybe that would be a closer fit, but I see that you have an ETA of around 27th which would be too late. What do you think? Is 10 or 11 days between docking and delivery what you might expect?

Thanks for all the insights and hard work tracking these ships. I’ve been following since the Q2 debacle and now only too happy to have a matched car and delivery date 😊

Status
Not open for further replies.