Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Holiday Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly I don’t get it and it makes me a little angry.
There are no hardware limitations as USS cars have the same cameras and processing unit as USS-less cars.
They could definitely have implemented some sort of sensor fusion and display the two at the same time.
This is the single feature I wanted to have out of the holiday update.
Definitely looks like a push / punishment to make us believe Vision is better than USS. Won’t fly with me.
Yes I agree, it’s what I was looking forward to the most also.
USS combined with HFPA would perform better than just HFPA alone and Tesla won’t allow older cars to perform better than newer ones. If we do get it they will disable USS.

Reactions: unai and sleepydoc
Assuming that Tesla developed HFPA for non-USS cars, they are probably not prepared to incur the cost of developing the system for older USS equipped vehicles.
The logical solution therefore would be to give drivers the choice by adding a switch to allow drivers to select either USS without HFPA or the camera based (non USS) system with HFPA.
A switch would be a cheap solution for Tesla and would give drivers the choice.

Last edited:
Assuming that Tesla developed HFPA for none USS cars, they are probably not prepared to incur the cost of developing the system for older USS equipped vehicles.
The logical solution therefore would be to give drivers the choice by adding a switch to allow drivers to select either USS without HFPA or the camera based (non USS) system with HFPA.
A switch would be a cheap solution for Tesla and would give drivers the choice.
Tesla + logic 🤣

Reactions: drewpost
Honestly I don’t get it and it makes me a little angry.
There are no hardware limitations as USS cars have the same cameras and processing unit as USS-less cars.
They could definitely have implemented some sort of sensor fusion and display the two at the same time.
This is the single feature I wanted to have out of the holiday update.
Definitely looks like a push / punishment to make us believe Vision is better than USS. Won’t fly with me.
Couldn’t agree more. Tesla have a wonderful way of p*ssing their customers off.

Given the choice of keeping USS or having fancy graphics I’d opt for USS every time.

Playing Devil’s Advocate - from what I’ve seen of initial HFPA videos online, there’s no distance measurements shown while in use, you just have the model to rely on.

If that was deployed to USS cars it would definitely represent a downgrade because we get accurate distances at the moment. It would effectively equate to disablement of USS which would certainly cause problems and anger (much like deleting radar functionality). I’m not sure where they would overlay distance measurements on the 3D model either.

I guess they decided it was easier to simply exclude USS cars rather than try and create some kind of two tier implementation. It is mildly irritating because I was looking forward to it and think along the same lines as others that a fusion of the two systems would be a straight upgrade - I.e. we’d see the stuff on the side of the car that Vision people do, but with the accuracy front and back of USS.

It’s a bit too early for me to ascribe malice to their decision though, maybe after a coffee 🙃

Apparently HFPA is for Ryzen cars only. I think Ryzen + USS production was for less than a year, so unlikely they will develop a custom solution for a few hundred thousand cars.
Both my cars fall in the Ryzen + USS period and I’ve still yet to get the update. Has anyone else with this combo got an update yet? Maybe there’s still hope for the ultrasound visuals

Requirements
Many vehicles are receiving the new Park Assist, however, it's not everyone. Vehicles running hardware 3 and hardware 4.0 are both receiving it, which is good news, but there are some limitations. It’s not particularly clear yet, but it appears that the feature may be limited to Ryzen infotainment units, or it may be rolling out to vehicles without ultrasonic sensors (USS) first.

If it's the latter, then there's no doubt that Tesla will expand this to vehicles with USS at some point in the future.
From here.
No option to update my 2020 3 yet.
I'm not sure I'll get anything from this update now... 🥲

I don’t think Ryzen is a factor. There are no Intel cars without USS as the MCU change predated USS removal by several months.

The visualisation appears to trade distance measurement (which was never great on Vision anyway) for the 3D model, so if USS cars got this - with or without Ryzen - it would be a downgrade in functionality.

Reactions: unai and sleepydoc
Is a forced disengagement when I need to take over as it’s messed up or if it decided I’ve not been paying attention / holding the steering wheel and it disengages?

If it’s the former it could be interesting…..🤨
No, thankfully driver disengagements don't count.

It'll only be if you ignore the nags too long, or go above the Autopilot speed limit etc

Anyone able to confirm if speed cameras are showing up in the uk?

I want to know this too! Don't make me go out for a drive......

I don’t think Ryzen is a factor. There are no Intel cars without USS as the MCU change predated USS removal by several months.

The visualisation appears to trade distance measurement (which was never great on Vision anyway) for the 3D model, so if USS cars got this - with or without Ryzen - it would be a downgrade in functionality.
You get object detail and full surrounding of the car rather than just front and back, I don't see that as a downgrade. I think I'd prefer that, especially for tight spaces and odd shapes.

Well as expected, we didn't get jack s*** 🤣

No visual updates, at least on my 2021 model 3 with USS.

Went for a short drive and following the guidance of lots of posts i've seen here lately, I set the car on autopilot and sped straight through a speed camera.

No warning, no beeps, no slowdowns, no recognition a camera even existed. Obviously I am incapable of intervening, so I will be sending the speeding ticket directly to Elon. ;)

Last edited:
No holiday update for me here, but Tesla App update is looking slick for Powerwall owners, particularly if you have two Tesla Wall Connectors:
IMG_3887.jpeg