Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Holiday Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve never seen that before while driving other than when you initially do the planning. And you have to pull the route to have all three routes stay on before you select one.
The release note say you are supposed to see alternative routes, even while driving. From Manchester to Gatwick, I’m only seeing one route and I even have avoid tolls disabled.

• Informative
Reactions: spdpsba
The release note say you are supposed to see alternative routes, even while driving. From Manchester to Gatwick, I’m only seeing one route and I even have avoid tolls disabled.
It's not active route suggestions like Google Maps where it constantly shows.

How Does It Work?​

Accessing this feature is straightforward. While driving, you can tap the map mode button (route icon) at the top right of the display or tap on the next turn indicator at the top of your turn-by-turn directions. This action will switch the map to an overview and request alternate routes from Tesla based on your current location.

The alternate routes are expected to then be displayed on the map in a similar way that they are displayed at the start of a trip. You can tap on a different route, or continue your existing one.

I’m following those instructions and there are no alternative routes either by pressing the Matt button or pulling down on the directions. I’m sure there are alternative routes between Manchester and London Gatwick.
Tesla’s routing can be a little quirky. Perhaps there are no viable alternatives at the time!

It often seems like “this a nice route. Stay on it!”

Tesla’s routing can be a little quirky. Perhaps there are no viable alternatives at the time!

I will have to check this after I update. The nav in the cars (does this on both) is the only that If I have the nav set to go home and come back through a particular route it always want to detour me about 5 miles from a junction when my house is just half a mile if I cross the bridge... Its the only nav that does it and has done it for the past 3 years 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Dilly
I’m following those instructions and there are no alternative routes either by pressing the Matt button or pulling down on the directions. I’m sure there are alternative routes between Manchester and London Gatwick.

I’m sure there are plenty of 6’6” with passing place roads that it will more than merrily want to route you down.

I'd had my car less than two weeks when I was on my way home one night in a very wet storm and I came across a large tree that had blown down totally blocking a major but remote road. The road had been officially closed for a good few hours at least but Tesla was all; 'THIS IS THE BEST ROUTE' despite Google Maps when I eventually switched to that saying no way through. I could not even find a button on the Tesla Nav to say 'Avoid the next 200 metres' to help it to reroute.

Of course. Except when your speed creeps up and you don't notice, or the speed limit flip-flops from 30 to 20 to 30 .. and so on. Far too easy to get caught out inadvertently.
I have the speed limit bongs set to chime at 3mph over (33, 43, 53 etc) & works very well in encouraging me to lift-off the accelerator when it happens. Very useful when I hadn't noticed or there are rapid changes as you mention.

I must be getting old.. but I still still use my wing mirrors when parking. I judge distance to front bumper and front corners with my eye balls. I only use the backup camera for judging distance to the back bumper. I’ve even turned off all the bingbong sounds. Never crashed into anything.

Why is everyone so fussed about HFPA and sensors? How are people learning to drive and park these days? If doing a parallel park, do people first start the manoeuvre by looking at the screen? Do people look at the screen half way through or at the end?(Serious question because I genuinely don’t know.)

I get the “assist” part of it (camera’s assist with judging distance, sensors warn, etc) but it sounds like people are relying solely on this feature to park?
I am old and do the same as you.