Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Holiday Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brand new cars are being delivered with 2023.38.200. It has the autopilot changes including camera based monitoring and the new on screen animations enabled but lacks the rest of the holiday update. The ‘nags’ are the car telling you to look at the road or hold the wheel hence it ‘nagging’ you to pay attention.

Everyone else got the camera monitoring in 44.30 (along with the other UI updates).

For the record I have an older 3 on 2023.44.30.X and a 2 week old Y on 2023.38.200. The autopilot monitoring is the same on both cars.

If you look away from the road, the car nags you, it has a zero tolerance of you looking away within a few seconds of enabling auto pilot. Outside of those initial few seconds, it’s much less sensitive and basically a non issue if you are actually paying attention.

The absolute worst thing you can do is look at the screen if it flags a camera based ‘nag’. Unfortunately the message doesn’t n the screen is not great and suggests you are not holding the wheel. The initial camera based ‘nag’ is as follows:
Two sharp beeps, followed by
A grey steering wheel icon on the screen with the hands, followed by
One blue pulse

You have to wait for all of the above to cycle through before it goes away (assuming you start looking at the road). Wiggling the wheel doesn’t clear it so don’t bother, only looking ahead does. The worst thing you can do is look down at the screen.

The steering wheel icon with the red hands is not the best as it implies you are not holding the wheel when really the issue is you are not looking at the road. It should be an eye icon instead. As noted above, if you look away from the road (say to the door locked to grab a water bottle) within a few seconds of enabling AP, you’ll get the initial warning right away. If you wait a few seconds after enabling AP you don’t get it right away and you have to be looking away from the road for quite a few seconds to get it.

I’ve not bothered to see what happens after the initial warning because I’d rather not get a strike. Actually using it on the road is fine you you are sort of person who paid attention when using AP anyway. The only thing I’ve had to change is not immediately glancing away from the road within 1-2 seconds of enabling AP to grab a drink/whatever otherwise it works as it did before.

The steering wheel monitoring is identical to prior to the ‘holiday update’ so I’ve got no idea why people are having difficulty with it. Perhaps they are getting confused with the camera based nag thinking it’s the wheel. As I said, the on screen icon is not the best.

Brand new cars are being delivered with 2023.38.200. It has the autopilot changes including camera based monitoring and the new on screen animations enabled but lacks the rest of the holiday update. The ‘nags’ are the car telling you to look at the road or hold the wheel hence it ‘nagging’ you to pay attention.

Everyone else got the camera monitoring in 44.30 (along with the other UI updates).

For the record I have an older 3 on 2023.44.30.X and a 2 week old Y on 2023.38.200. The autopilot monitoring is the same on both cars.

If you look away from the road, the car nags you, it has a zero tolerance of you looking away within a few seconds of enabling auto pilot. Outside of those initial few seconds, it’s much less sensitive and basically a non issue if you are actually paying attention.

The absolute worst thing you can do is look at the screen if it flags a camera based ‘nag’. Unfortunately the message doesn’t n the screen is not great and suggests you are not holding the wheel. The initial camera based ‘nag’ is as follows:
One blue pulse

You have to wait for all of the above to cycle through before it goes away (assuming you start looking at the road). Wiggling the wheel doesn’t clear it so don’t bother, only looking ahead does. The worst thing you can do is look down at the screen.

The steering wheel icon with the red hands is not the best as it implies you are not holding the wheel when really the issue is you are not looking at the road. It should be an eye icon instead. As noted above, if you look away from the road (say to the door locked to grab a water bottle) within a few seconds of enabling AP, you’ll get the initial warning right away. If you wait a few seconds after enabling AP you don’t get it right away and you have to be looking away from the road for quite a few seconds to get it.

I’ve not bothered to see what happens after the initial warning because I’d rather not get a strike. Actually using it on the road is fine you you are sort of person who paid attention when using AP anyway. The only thing I’ve had to change is not immediately glancing away from the road within 1-2 seconds of enabling AP to grab a drink/whatever otherwise it works as it did before.

The steering wheel monitoring is identical to prior to the ‘holiday update’ so I’ve got no idea why people are having difficulty with it. Perhaps they are getting confused with the camera based nag thinking it’s the wheel. As I said, the on screen icon is not the best.
Thanks mate, appreciate the explanation 👍🏼

One blue pulse

I fully agree with your explanation. This is my experience, exactly.

Just driven 170 miles Sussex - Somerset, mainly motorway in heavy showers / spray / occasional sunshine.

Wipers on auto were as bad as I can remember them - on 'intermittent' in torrential rain when 'fast continuous' was required. Not even noticing very heavy spray from trucks.

I can think of very few occasions when the auto-wiper setting was appropriate to the conditions in over 3 hours of driving.

How do they manage to get it so wrong after all this time?!

Last edited:
Mine has also recently decided to start dry-wiping parked on the driveway at start or end of drives.

Can only train it by setting wipers to off each time I suppose while waiting for the next release.

Unless there is a release note indicating that there has been an update to wiper functionality I will remain to be convinced that there has been any recent change due to new software. The things that change/improve wiper performance, in my own opinion, are simply the rain and lighting conditions variations from season to season and from day to day. I've not seen a consistent change, good or bad, over the past couple of years. The dry wiping issue appears to particularly affect some cars more than others ...(if it's at start and end of drives could it be parking angle in relation to light?) Thankfully that issue has always been a very rare occurrence on mine.

Unless there is a release note indicating that there has been an update to wiper functionality I will remain to be convinced that there has been any recent change due to new software. The things that change/improve wiper performance, in my own opinion, are simply the rain and lighting conditions variations from season to season and from day to day. I've not seen a consistent change, good or bad, over the past couple of years. The dry wiping issue appears to particularly affect some cars more than others ...(if it's at start and end of drives could it be parking angle in relation to light?) Thankfully that issue has always been a very rare occurrence on mine.
Yeah. It’s especially annoying when people proclaim that they think wipers are better, and it’s never based on empirical testing in identical conditions, it’s basically just a feeling they have.

As you say at this point unless it’s mentioned in the release notes then I’m assuming nothing has changed.

Reactions: Skie and Zilla91
Yeah. It’s especially annoying when people proclaim that they think wipers are better, and it’s never based on empirical testing in identical conditions, it’s basically just a feeling they have.

As you say at this point unless it’s mentioned in the release notes then I’m assuming nothing has changed.

Hmmm I tend to lean the other way that I won't universally hate on the auto wipers just because everybody says they are garbage.

If i'm happy with MY ones, then i'm not worried about imperical evidence as long as they do what I need them to do.

Reactions: Doudeau and Js1977
There has never been any information about changing the headlight setting after crossing the border from RHD to LHD, but it is there.

Reactions: tdjohn
I’m convinced Musk confirmed on X/Twitter that there had been an update to auto wipers and they now ran on TV. However, a brief’ish search doesn’t reveal the post or any references to it. Maybe I dreamt it?

Reactions: boombap
It wasn’t a dream ;)

It was “three weeks” - perhaps not being “two weeks” is a hint…
The one I’m thinking of was more recent, post-Christmas update. Someone asked Musk if auto-wiper behaviour had changed and he confirmed it had. Went hand in hand with being able to turn of auto-wiper in AP. But my searching skills have failed me… (I could search harder, but, you know, lazy).

Reactions: boombap
Elon Musk agreeing that NN update has made wipers better
Elon Musk apologising that wiper performance fix has taken so long

These people seem to be FSD beta 11.4.9 users so don't know if that's required.

Reactions: boombap and Cardo
View attachment 1004298View attachment 1004299

These people seem to be FSD beta 11.4.9 users so don't know if that's required.
Thanks! I was starting to think age was getting the better of me!

Though, I’m not quite as positive about the update as Mr Franks. For my particularly Model 3 variant, the auto-wipers were certainly good enough, previously. Now they hardly wipe and I’m having to press the button regularly in anything but torrential rain. Giveth with one hand…

Or maybe there’s been no change for us and they’ve just become rubbish with the weather. 🤷‍♂️