Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Holiday Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The latest update has totally ruined even basic TACC for me (all I tend to use). Slightest bit of rain and speed is reduced to a potentially dangerous point on motorways… Overtaking a lorry is also dangerous as the car bails as soon as spray hits as well.

Just give us dumb cruise control or our radars back for those of us with them.

I haven’t seen any great improvements in reducing phantom lifts/braking after radar switch off. Even if the large dataset they work with says different (and I bet it will be marginal for those of us not on the super matrix stack or whatever blah…) then I’d still rather have the system reverted as it is more dangerous now in slightly damp motorway conditions.

Gutted about this as my car is a keeper for me and is being degraded, not improved.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
This morning, on a lightly trafficed but very wet two-lane motorway, I was driving on EAP. It kept asking for an unecessary lane change into the ourside lane. Eventually, as there was a slow truck up ahead, I ok'd it and it started the change. Then all hell broke loose with warning sounds, the big red steering wheel and a message - Lane change aborted due to system error. I wrestled with it and we veered from side to side before I got it under control.

It's never done that before.

This morning, on a lightly trafficed but very wet two-lane motorway, I was driving on EAP. It kept asking for an unecessary lane change into the ourside lane. Eventually, as there was a slow truck up ahead, I ok'd it and it started the change. Then all hell broke loose with warning sounds, the big red steering wheel and a message - Lane change aborted due to system error. I wrestled with it and we veered from side to side before I got it under control.

It's never done that before.
I posted something very similar about a month ago

Pretty sure it’s illegal in France and the cops can seize your car if you have speed camera locs on a satnav type device.
I thought that law had changed - I was aware it was a big issue many years ago - but I’m sure I’ve had satnav software on iPhone that used to alert me (Tomtom?) in more recent years.

Glad I was never caught based on penalties I’ve seen now I just googled 😳.

For what it’s worth, I’m on .5.1 and after 300 miles up/down the M6/56 I’m convinced auto wipers have changed, less responsive or irate - more work needed, but overall better. The TACC with AS was the most assured I’ve experienced in 13K miles, following distance appeared more consistent, including acceleration and breaking in traffic. I only had one slow for an adjacent lane and he had strayed onto the white line. There was some hesitation passing trucks in the narrow lanes, but they were so close I took control. To me it’s appears to be a definite step forward after a big step backward recently.

For what it’s worth, I’m on .5.1 and after 300 miles up/down the M6/56 I’m convinced auto wipers have changed, less responsive or irate - more work needed, but overall better. The TACC with AS was the most assured I’ve experienced in 13K miles, following distance appeared more consistent, including acceleration and breaking in traffic. I only had one slow for an adjacent lane and he had strayed onto the white line. There was some hesitation passing trucks in the narrow lanes, but they were so close I took control. To me it’s appears to be a definite step forward after a big step backward recently.
Regardless of some replies here I definitely agree with you regarding the wipers. I drove for 3 hours in the pouring rain yesterday and used auto steer (beta) for most of it. At no point did the wipers go crazy. This would have 100% happened previously. I would say that at some points the wipers were too slow and I was surprised auto steer didn’t disconnect. It’s an improvement but certainly not as good as if a simple rain sensor had been installed.

I’m also starting to wonder if the initial situation where the wipers were set to Auto whenever TACC or auto steer were engaged was to help with AI learning. It’s clear that both features do not need a perfectly clear windscreen to work.

Reactions: goRt
Biggest win for me and i'm not 100% sure if this was this update or a previous one is to be able to adjust the wiper speed by the left scroll button - have now reached a point where i can cmfortably change the wipers without looking at the screen.

Although if anyone wants to design a new stalk with a wiper speed selector they'd get my cash :)

Biggest win for me and i'm not 100% sure if this was this update or a previous one is to be able to adjust the wiper speed by the left scroll button - have now reached a point where i can cmfortably change the wipers without looking at the screen.

Although if anyone wants to design a new stalk with a wiper speed selector they'd get my cash :)
That feature has been released for some considerable time now (2023.12 I think, so probably around April 2023, maybe?) Was welcome when it dropped!

If you haven’t seen the other features new on the scroll wheel from that release, it’s worth a quick review.

Reactions: debrooker
I don’t think it needs a new stalk personally - just a software modification to cycle through the wiper speed settings when you quick tap the left stalk button while the speed menu is displayed after the first quick tap.

But as stalks are going away in Tesla-land, I’m not expecting further development effort in this area.

Oh I forgot about that, although I find using the screen to adjust after tapping the wiper button easy enough. However… I have never (until today) had to adjust the wipers so frequently on a drive. It was raining and had been for a while so plenty of spray and the rain was variable and fine at times. The auto wipers were quite plain and simply not sensitive enough and had to manually turn them on.

Totally inversely on a night drive in pouring rain and heavy spray a few days ago they were totally fine. I can only presume that the combination of darkness and headlights/tail lights of vehicles ahead vs today’s grey sky and dull light meant that the cameras saw more of the dispersed light and so worked better.

While my auto wipers have been significantly better on my last two drives, until this remains for the forceable future I’m inclined to agree with @Durzel

I’ve probably had the right rain at the right time of the day. I find it almost impossible to believe that after almost 8 years of crap wipers they’ve suddenly nailed it.
Drive to Chester today in light daylight rain produced mixed wiper results. From stupid, frantic initial wiping to bugger-all happening with a practically opaque screen. 50% of the time it was satisfactory. So overall, unimpressive.

Still too many braking hesitations and phantom brake incidents for my liking.

Had a couple on each 1 hour journey. These should really be few and far between, not the norm. They never were before.