Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Holiday Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don’t tell them you tried to diagnose/fix yourself as they can get very arsy if someone else has tried to investigate things.
They strongly suggested that my front suspension mount issue would not be covered under warranty if I officially mentioned that car had had a pre warranty inspection that spotted and reported the issue to me. No idea what they would have done had the car had an official failure /advisory from an MOT where the part would have been physically checked for movement.
I'm sure it'll be logged

This morning, on a lightly trafficed but very wet two-lane motorway, I was driving on EAP. It kept asking for an unecessary lane change into the ourside lane. Eventually, as there was a slow truck up ahead, I ok'd it and it started the change. Then all hell broke loose with warning sounds, the big red steering wheel and a message - Lane change aborted due to system error. I wrestled with it and we veered from side to side before I got it under control.

It's never done that before.
Tesla Driver has just dropped a video of the same thing on YouTube - meanwhile I undated to 2023.44.30.7 this morning but haven't been able to test it yet.

Does anyone else have issues with the Apple Podcast app being very quiet? I have to turn it almost to full volume when listening to podcasts, I've tried a couple of different podcasts and they are the same volume and then I deafen myself when going back to Apple music.
Yes, same here. I haven’t figured out what’s going on. But now with the native podcast app, it’s a non-issue. Still, it’d be nice to know how to prevent it.

Not great on car paint (especially for bird poo)....and not reusable!

It works fine if used carefully. It useful to soak the paper and leave on the poo on a sunny day if its dried up a bit and being the one must lays assume that the poo will contain grit, lays pick and dont rub... and of course its reusable if it doesn't disintegrate after ive shown it in the hedge since some bird (hopefully the one that shat on the car!) will take it and its *sugar* back and use it for nesting 👍

Brand new cars are being delivered with 2023.38.200. It has the autopilot changes including camera based monitoring and the new on screen animations enabled but lacks the rest of the holiday update. The ‘nags’ are the car telling you to look at the road or hold the wheel hence it ‘nagging’ you to pay attention.

Everyone else got the camera monitoring in 44.30 (along with the other UI updates).

For the record I have an older 3 on 2023.44.30.X and a 2 week old Y on 2023.38.200. The autopilot monitoring is the same on both cars.

If you look away from the road, the car nags you, it has a zero tolerance of you looking away within a few seconds of enabling auto pilot. Outside of those initial few seconds, it’s much less sensitive and basically a non issue if you are actually paying attention.

The absolute worst thing you can do is look at the screen if it flags a camera based ‘nag’. Unfortunately the message doesn’t n the screen is not great and suggests you are not holding the wheel. The initial camera based ‘nag’ is as follows:
Two sharp beeps, followed by
A grey steering wheel icon on the screen with the hands, followed by
One blue pulse

You have to wait for all of the above to cycle through before it goes away (assuming you start looking at the road). Wiggling the wheel doesn’t clear it so don’t bother, only looking ahead does. The worst thing you can do is look down at the screen.

The steering wheel icon with the red hands is not the best as it implies you are not holding the wheel when really the issue is you are not looking at the road. It should be an eye icon instead. As noted above, if you look away from the road (say to the door locked to grab a water bottle) within a few seconds of enabling AP, you’ll get the initial warning right away. If you wait a few seconds after enabling AP you don’t get it right away and you have to be looking away from the road for quite a few seconds to get it.

I’ve not bothered to see what happens after the initial warning because I’d rather not get a strike. Actually using it on the road is fine you you are sort of person who paid attention when using AP anyway. The only thing I’ve had to change is not immediately glancing away from the road within 1-2 seconds of enabling AP to grab a drink/whatever otherwise it works as it did before.

The steering wheel monitoring is identical to prior to the ‘holiday update’ so I’ve got no idea why people are having difficulty with it. Perhaps they are getting confused with the camera based nag thinking it’s the wheel. As I said, the on screen icon is not the best.

I also took delivery recently of a MY with 2023.38.200.1 and really struggled with the nags on AP initiation until I figured out what it was (I got a strike on my first journey!), and you are right, it's so sensitive, that just checking your speed or mirrors in the first few seconds gets a warning.

However, it is sensitive on both, force on the wheel and paying attention and it does have two different warnings, it 100% will tell you to 'Pay Attention' if it's that.. so if it's giving the 'put both hands on the wheel' warning, I've done a bit of 'testing' and found this is definitely the case.

My strategy now has made AP much more as it was intended and usable on longer journeys
1. An internal camera privacy slide - Absolutely works as you'd expect, no nags/warning when first putting AP on, and it doesn't have any noticeable side effects eithers, I've done a fair few hundred miles on AP lately without a single 'pay attention' nag.
2. The steering wheel force is unreliable it using two hands IME.. the best method I found is just resting my right arm on my right leg and putting slightly drag/counterforce with my right hand at the 5O'Clock position.

Oddly, jumping back in the ID.3 with travel assist and that is so lapse it seems weird Tesla have been called out on AP like this, because the ID.3 is ten times worse for not checking/nagging if you are paying attention etc and there is no 5 warnings and you get a strike, you have to go to extreme lengths to ignore it for minutes before it will ban you from using it for the rest of the journey with no concept of a week in 'jail'..