Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 without USS and proximity functionality [park assist / summon not available]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Detecting things near you so you don't hit them and they don't hit you. It appears that I don't have to pay $15k to get them back, I just have to wait until they have built a replacement.

USS in other vehicles, and I suspect same with Tesla, is only useful within a few feet. Primary use is for parking assitance. Any sort of true critical safety systems is via radar and/or visual detection. I may be grossly mistaken, but I believe this is accurate. Which means no substantial safety features were lost.

Reactions: Joboo7777
I totally get the idea of getting what you paid for. What IMO is beyond ridiculous is so many people who literally can't drive their car without sensors telling them how to drive. Just a few posts back, folks said they literally can't park their car in their garage without park assist, and cannot pull into a parking space without hitting the car in front of them without the car telling them when to stop. Everyone should have the ability to drive a car and judge distance without sensors, and without the lack of those sensors making them unable to operate a motor vehicle in the most basic fashion. If someone is so dependent on technology that they are literally unable to drive their car without, they honestly need to learn to drive better. Driving is a skill, and it seems like some rely so heavily on tech that they are no longer able to perform basic driving skills that were required to pass the driving test at age 17 i.e. many many many years ago.
What would happen to these people if there was a third pedal and big knob on a lever between the front seats? Call an Uber?

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: enemji and XPsionic
What would happen to these people if there was a third pedal and big knob on a lever between the front seats? Call an Uber?
I don’t think anyone said they can’t park, I think what I’ve seen in previous posts is that people feel it adds a level of convenience they have become accustom to. I can also understand if people are upset especially if they paid for the convenience of these “nice to have” capabilities.

If this approach by Tesla was truly consumer focused then Tesla would have transitioned to TeslaVision before removing the hardware. This decision was purely to benefit Tesla. And I can also see how consumers would be upset with that aspect as well.

I don’t think anyone said they can’t park, I think what I’ve seen in previous posts is that people feel it adds a level of convenience they have become accustom to. I can also understand if people are upset especially if they paid for the convenience of these “nice to have” capabilities.

If this approach by Tesla was truly consumer focused then Tesla would have transitioned to TeslaVision before removing the hardware. This decision was purely to benefit Tesla. And I can also see how consumers would be upset with that aspect as well.
Well, it's not all Tesla's advantage, it also benefits buyers in that they get a car during the supply shortage (which others either don't or they get a car that will never get any sort of park assist). Basically given this was shortage driven, Tesla would have removed it regardless if they had a solution lined up (just like other brands did).

Reactions: bhzmark
I totally get the idea of getting what you paid for. What IMO is beyond ridiculous is so many people who literally can't drive their car without sensors telling them how to drive. Just a few posts back, folks said they literally can't park their car in their garage without park assist, and cannot pull into a parking space without hitting the car in front of them without the car telling them when to stop. Everyone should have the ability to drive a car and judge distance without sensors, and without the lack of those sensors making them unable to operate a motor vehicle in the most basic fashion. If someone is so dependent on technology that they are literally unable to drive their car without, they honestly need to learn to drive better. Driving is a skill, and it seems like some rely so heavily on tech that they are no longer able to perform basic driving skills that were required to pass the driving test at age 17 i.e. many many many years ago.
Driving is indeed a skill, but judiging distances withing centimeters is a skill almost NO driver has. Within 20 centimeters, yes. 2 centimeters, no. Then you're just winging it and praying you're not hitting anything 'cause you're getting in too tight of a parking spot.

I'm fairly good at parking. I'm even a certified driving instructor so I can teach others how to (reverse S-)park well for their driving test. But none of the driving requirements in Europe are linked to being able to get within 5 centimeters of another vehicle.

Parking in spots that are meant for parking (i.e. with enough room), are not the issue without USS.

However, WITH USS a wide range of more tight parking spots are suddenly available to you with minimum to no risk (of damage). And that is why I want my friggin' USS or equivalent capabilty on my 2023 Model Y.

Not 'cause I can't drive. I'm forward parking my Model Y perfectly in my garage everyday since I got it (December 3rd) and can get into most spots easily enough with the reverse camera's. But I have been way more careful than I should be, since in front I have no clue if I'm 30 centimeters or 10 centimeters away. And I'm not risking a "gentle nudge" with the most expensive car I ever bought.

And again, the whole point of missing park assist is that it is an issue that will harm Tesla's brand reputation. Imagine all the Xmas dinners that have occurred where people have to explain their brand new 3/Y has no "beeping when parking". It makes non-Tesla owners roll their eyes and think "What an idiot paying +60k for a car that has less functionality than my [insert 30k car]. I'm never getting a Tesla". And rightfully so. It truly is embarrassing.

Personally I treat the lack of park assist as top secret governement info on a need to know basis. Only my wife knows about it, since she has to drive the car sometimes. But friends and family have no clue about the lack of USS until the Tesla Vision update will be there. Only then will I tell them how cool it is that Tesla does what USS does with camera's only. Let's just hope that day is not too far away.

100%. This is exactly why I always park at the far end of parking lots with no other cars around. I have no confidence in people's ability to drive & park without hitting nearby objects including my car.

That said, I agree that having park assist is a convenience and Tesla should have waited to remove the USS until the software is ready. I still knowingly took delivery of my MY without it, and my wife and I have somehow both managed not to hit anything...

Last edited:
Driving is indeed a skill, but judiging distances withing centimeters is a skill almost NO driver has. Within 20 centimeters, yes. 2 centimeters, no. Then you're just winging it and praying you're not hitting anything 'cause you're getting in too tight of a parking spot.

I'm fairly good at parking. I'm even a certified driving instructor so I can teach others how to (reverse S-)park well for their driving test. But none of the driving requirements in Europe are linked to being able to get within 5 centimeters of another vehicle.

Parking in spots that are meant for parking (i.e. with enough room), are not the issue without USS.

However, WITH USS a wide range of more tight parking spots are suddenly available to you with minimum to no risk (of damage). And that is why I want my friggin' USS or equivalent capabilty on my 2023 Model Y.

Not 'cause I can't drive. I'm forward parking my Model Y perfectly in my garage everyday since I got it (December 3rd) and can get into most spots easily enough with the reverse camera's. But I have been way more careful than I should be, since in front I have no clue if I'm 30 centimeters or 10 centimeters away. And I'm not risking a "gentle nudge" with the most expensive car I ever bought.

And again, the whole point of missing park assist is that it is an issue that will harm Tesla's brand reputation. Imagine all the Xmas dinners that have occurred where people have to explain their brand new 3/Y has no "beeping when parking". It makes non-Tesla owners roll their eyes and think "What an idiot paying +60k for a car that has less functionality than my [insert 30k car]. I'm never getting a Tesla". And rightfully so. It truly is embarrassing.

Personally I treat the lack of park assist as top secret governement info on a need to know basis. Only my wife knows about it, since she has to drive the car sometimes. But friends and family have no clue about the lack of USS until the Tesla Vision update will be there. Only then will I tell them how cool it is that Tesla does what USS does with camera's only. Let's just hope that day is not too far away.
Good post; I think for folks in Europe, or citys with really tight parking, I can certainly understand park assist being an important feature. Let's hope they are able to implement soon with software or perhaps upgraded cameras?

Other than a backup camera, I've never had any type of park assist on any car my wife or I have ever owned. Of course, we aren't the type to buy brand new cars every three years, more often buy 3 years used coming off a low mileage lease and drive for ten years. Our 2022 Kia Niro EV does not have any type of park assist. The feature was not remotely on my radar in terms of an important or must have feature. My wife and I both couldn't care less, but we probably would if we need to squeeze into super tight city parking spaces frequently. If I can't park in my garage without it, I need to get rid of excess junk! 🤣

If M3LR is so much in demand, why are not selling it?
100%. This is exactly why I always park at the far end of parking lots with no other cars around. I have no confidence in people's ability to drive & park without hitting nearby objects including my car.

That said, I agree that having park assist is a convenience and Tesla should have waited to remove the USS until the software is ready. I still knowingly took delivery of my MY without it, and my wife and I have somehow both managed not to hit anything...
the only thing I have ever hit my front bumper with on any of cars in 30 years is the underside of the front bumper against the sidewalk/pavement. I don’t think any USS will ever be able to help with that.

Reactions: james35280

the only thing I have ever hit my front bumper with on any of cars in 30 years is the underside of the front bumper against the sidewalk/pavement. I don’t think any USS will ever be able to help with that.
I've seen LR in inventory in the US and Canada. Rejected cars or owners not going through with the order. 🤷‍♂️

I've seen LR in inventory in the US and Canada. Rejected cars or owners not going through with the order. 🤷‍♂️

There is still lots of demand for the M3LR, just to be clear and Tesla is still building these cars by the truckloads/shipping them all over the US (don't know about Canada/elswhere). If you want one, you just have to check Tesla's available inventory often. The M3LRs that they are building are just going directly into it. They pop up when they land at their final destinations. Towards the end of December, I was hunting for mine... Tesla's Inventory API came in handy. M3LR cars would pop up so frequently and they were being purchased (deposit) within 5-10 minutes. My M3LR was manufactured in November and delivered in December - I paid for it within 3 minutes of it being listed. Exterior color, interior color, wheels were exactly what I wanted. Can't say this enough, their Inventory API was very helpful.

Reactions: enemji
Nope, at current without the USS, you will not get Proximity warning beeps or the distance to object.
Thanks, I also think I’m gonna need to cut down some bushes. I have several bushes near my driveway, which blocks my view about 40%.. however, with my current car, this is no issue because the radar sensors detects vehicles on the street even though I can’t see them visually. So apparently all vision systems will have some limitations, no matter how good the cameras

For current users, if you’re at a stop sign with some bushes on the side of the road is the visual system limitations, very noticeable

Here’s a basic Toyota Corolla in safety features. I’d say Tesla is lacking tbh.

79410903-5C3A-4B61-9333-B90DD7CE0E52.png
766E8CEC-5E21-4643-8A80-072452B262FE.png

… only if they parked a car with automatic transmission the night before… and woke up to find it now has a 3rd pedal and shifter.
Voiceover: We've secretly replaced these drivers' automatic transmissions with a manual gearbox. Let's see if they notice.
"This coffee tastes terrible. Wait, wrong commercial. What's that pedal on the left for? Where's the Park gear on this thing?"

• Love
Reactions: pilotSteve
Voiceover: We've secretly replaced these drivers' automatic transmissions with a manual gearbox. Let's see if they notice.
"This coffee tastes terrible. Wait, wrong commercial. What's that pedal on the left for? Where's the Park gear on this thing?"
2FA for cars

Reactions: BigNick
I received my brand new Tesla Model 3 this week on a lease which I’m extremely happy about. I’ve purchased the Enhanced Autopilot and I’m based in the UK.

I expected to get Summon, Smart Summon and AutoPark but can’t see to see any options for these, nor have I managed to get AutoPark to come up when in a car park.

Am I doing something wrong?
Got my Tesla Y 2023 on December 30, 2022, no Summon or Auto park. Paid $15,000 for SFD.

Last edited:
No. Park assist is included on all cars whether you have basic Autopilot or the Enhanced auto pilot or FSD options. The proximity sensors aren't there anymore. Park assist won't work. You need to wait it out for Tesla to bring back the feature that use Vision.
Another poster:
"Nov 10, 2022: yep. This has been discussed in many threads. Functionality is supposed to return in the coming months."

HAHAHAH. This person apparently doesn't remember FSD being promised in late 2018. "Tesla Vision" replacement of USS is *never* coming. Never. They'll screw around for 3 years, then eventually put USS back due to market pressure. A $65,000 vehicle that doesn't have parking assist is going to be a dinosaur in the market.