Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y Custom Order Wait Time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m so wishy-washy.

Originally, I ordered a MYLR black, then changed to MYLR black, induction wheels, tow and 7 seater (ie, full options). I wanted black and the tow hook so I could put a bike rack. I have an e-bike my father uses sometimes, so the rack would be for if he needs me to pick him up or drop off for whatever reason. So I chose the 7 seater to get both options and the EV credit. I justified it as having something in a pinch. The wheels were me going overboard. Plus I don’t really like the aero cover or the color of the wheel underneath.

Now, after the loan was accepted and in process of verifying the trade-in (taking pictures of odometer), I changed my order again. This time… no options. I found out that you could do colored PPF…! So that meant I could get any color via the PPF, which I’d want to keep the car looking decent. I took off the tow hook and of course the 3rd row for the same reasons… I’d just have to force myself to do something else in that “pinch.” Though maybe add that tow hook later if I deem it necessary again. The wheels, well… I think I could use an aftermarket cover that looks better… or worse, replace the wheels altogether (which I might’ve done even with the 20” induction).

I do have to restart the loan and I’d guess the trade-in too… but since my EDD is in April-May (given after I finished my part of loan and trade-in process), I would’ve had to do it anyway as they would’ve expired by then.

Dunno if/how the EDD is affected by my latest change.

That said, that removes me from the custom order category, maybe?

I’m so wishy-washy.

Originally, I ordered a MYLR black, then changed to MYLR black, induction wheels, tow and 7 seater (ie, full options). I wanted black and the tow hook so I could put a bike rack. I have an e-bike my father uses sometimes, so the rack would be for if he needs me to pick him up or drop off for whatever reason. So I chose the 7 seater to get both options and the EV credit. I justified it as having something in a pinch. The wheels were me going overboard. Plus I don’t really like the aero cover or the color of the wheel underneath.

Now, after the loan was accepted and in process of verifying the trade-in (taking pictures of odometer), I changed my order again. This time… no options. I found out that you could do colored PPF…! So that meant I could get any color via the PPF, which I’d want to keep the car looking decent. I took off the tow hook and of course the 3rd row for the same reasons… I’d just have to force myself to do something else in that “pinch.” Though maybe add that tow hook later if I deem it necessary again. The wheels, well… I think I could use an aftermarket cover that looks better… or worse, replace the wheels altogether (which I might’ve done even with the 20” induction).

I do have to restart the loan and I’d guess the trade-in too… but since my EDD is in April-May (given after I finished my part of loan and trade-in process), I would’ve had to do it anyway as they would’ve expired by then.

Can I ask the timeline of your order change? If the original purchase was made before the Y price increase and then the change was made after, did Tesla use the updated increase price for your order?

I’m so wishy-washy.

Doesn't really matter if you are in the custom order category. That used to make a 3 month difference in EDD but that was when custom orders were 6 months and stock was 9 months. Tesla removed that variation from the order page last fall. Stock orders seem to be fullfilled quicker than most. Tesla should honor your original order date for placing you in the line for the stock car.

Can I ask the timeline of your order change? If the original purchase was made before the Y price increase and then the change was made after, did Tesla use the updated increase price for your order?
Tesla will always give you the price that was in place at the time you placed the original order.
The only exception to that was for people who had longer standing orders for 7 seaters or had MSM selected. MSM was a free color until Jan 13th. But the price decrease made up for the increase in MSM and/or 7 seater.

01/22/2023 (early morning): original order
01/23/2023 first change
01/28/2023 (or 01/29/2023, I forget which) lost option to change details.
01/30/2023 lost option to switch to local inventory
01/31/2023 replied to text that came with initial order asking about making change, responder unlocked ability to make change, so I did. After my change, it unlocked ability to switch to inventory. New price did not include extra $500.

I might change my order again, to inventory… IF I find a standard range with 279 mi range (ie 4680 battery version MYAWD). Maybe.

That said, this last change was actually triggered because I was browsing inventory and saw a MYAWD in local inventory the other day. After some thinking and realizing it would save me about $200 per month on my loan, I decided to switch… but someone beat me to it.

While I can afford (barely) the loan on a fully optioned MYLR, I decided to just be a little more thrifty and remove the options to reduce the loan with the justification on the options as I mentioned in the other post.

Reactions: Dr.O
Welp, what a bummer. Teslas official trade-in offer came back 8k less than the estimate they provided 2 weeks ago (which financially allowed me to order). Now I can’t justify the cost. Called Sales rep and all they could say was that the estimates are inaccurate and I should’ve spoken to someone in person because they would’ve told me so. I don’t believe that bc my trade in estimate a couple years ago was spot on to the official offer and I proceeded with trade in. I am unable to take delivery unless I can sell independently. What are some good options based on experience? I’m already listed on cargurus with no bites, don’t want to do FB, and all the other instant offer sites were about 1-2k less than teslas final low offer. Upset that I may need to cancel order. Thanks for help.

I tried their website but it said they need to see in person. Closest is 2+ hours away :/
Carmax is a ripoff. Any offers you're getting instantly are lowball. Get a loan to bridge you over and then take your time selling on Cargurus. Use KBB value for private sale and knock a little off so between trade in value and private sale value. All offers close to trade in are dealer low ball offers

Tesla will always give you the price that was in place at the time you placed the original order.
The only exception to that was for people who had longer standing orders for 7 seaters or had MSM selected. MSM was a free color until Jan 13th. But the price decrease made up for the increase in MSM and/or 7 seater.
Thanks for responding. I thought I had read that in one of the threads here too but couldn't find to confirm that. I was curious because I had attempted to make a change and Tesla had told me that if I did I would have to use the new 500 increased price in my new updated order.

Welp, what a bummer. Teslas official trade-in offer came back 8k less than the estimate they provided 2 weeks ago (which financially allowed me to order). Now I can’t justify the cost. Called Sales rep and all they could say was that the estimates are inaccurate and I should’ve spoken to someone in person because they would’ve told me so. I don’t believe that bc my trade in estimate a couple years ago was spot on to the official offer and I proceeded with trade in. I am unable to take delivery unless I can sell independently. What are some good options based on experience? I’m already listed on cargurus with no bites, don’t want to do FB, and all the other instant offer sites were about 1-2k less than teslas final low offer. Upset that I may need to cancel order. Thanks for help.
If $8k makes or breaks the deal, I would seriously reconsider if purchasing is a good financial decision. Or maybe get a SR model 3 instead if you really want a Tesla. I would be disappointed in your shoes but seems better to break it off at a loss of $250 instead of a depreciating car that you can't afford.
Carmax is a ripoff. Any offers you're getting instantly are lowball. Get a loan to bridge you over and then take your time selling on Cargurus. Use KBB value for private sale and knock a little off so between trade in value and private sale value. All offers close to trade in are dealer low ball offers
Carmax offered me $3-4k higher than any other places as of last week. In line with private party value on KBB.

I sold my trade to CarMax and got more than KBB trade-in and just under private party value. It doesn’t cost anything to ask them, other than your time and travel. YMMV.

Reactions: WetzelPretzel
I have this urge to preach, but I’ll try to refrain from doing so, especially since it’ll make me a hypocrite.

That said, you could try doing what I did, or maybe you have, and that is drop the option to none (I saw your order post, the only thing would be white interior) and or try to see if you find a standard range AWD Y in inventory, also preferably with no options. That would reduce the total by some 3k-3.5k (only 1k if just the interior). Plus shopping(?) around for the best trade-in you can get, that might make it something you can justify.

Last edited:
Reactions: AJLanger5