Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y no USS discussion, incl. Discussion of Tesla Vision Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t think the current cameras can see over the front bumper? Not sure how Vision could do better than a human driver.

The Model 3 refresh rumors indicate there will be cameras in the headlights, which might help a lot.

The USS provided one of the “wow factors” (alongside acceleration, glass roof and heated rear seats) when I test drove an MY 2 years ago. Very good implementation & display. Sad to see it leave now that the car is at a $70,000 price point.
The fact that the cameras cannot see over the bumper (hood) and the fact that Elon stated that "Vision and HD radar" would be better than vision + radar makes me hopeful that we will get HD radar one way or the other... of course that could be rather irrational hope.

Reactions: Ts91
The fact that the cameras cannot see over the bumper (hood) and the fact that Elon stated that "Vision and HD radar" would be better than vision + radar makes me hopeful that we will get HD radar one way or the other... of course that could be rather irrational hope.
Did you consider the possibility it’s magical Vision that can see around/through solid items?

• Funny
Reactions: CharlieMY and Ts91
New theory: non-USS cars already have HD radar installed and it will be enabled via SW update in Q1.
New theory: non-USS cars already have HD radar installed and it will be enabled via SW update in Q1.
Page 4 of this thread and a member is showing how his ‘23 Y has the radar mount already installed.

There is zero prospect that (as per your parent post) currently delivered cars already have a major new component installed and no one has noticed.

There’s a small possibility the mount might be present but that’s a very long way from confirming current vehicles will be easily upgradable to use it.

And, to go back on topic, it’s unlikely new radar will have anything to do with USS replacement, at least initially.

Virtually all Birds Eye view setups are creating a virtual image by combining multiple camera images and filling in the gaps with computer generated imaging. I would be happy with having that instead of USS. It can fill in gaps in image as the car moves by calculating distance moved and direction and using prior images to synthesize the new images in real-time. That would be good enough to assist with parking which is what we need it for. Our old 2017 Chevy Bolt had this feature and even though the image quality was poor it was good enough to make parking easy.

Hi All,

want to open this thread for owner who had 2023 model Y with no ultrasonic sensor (USS).
Now car does not have park assist to show the distance in garage.

News saying we will be waiting on a Tesla Vision solution. Let's collect information together in this thread and share with others.
Was never informed or signed any disclaimer about lack of park assist or USS when taking delivery of MYLR in late Nov. user manual shows park assist functionality instructions. Have not received 40.4 release but those who have indicate still no park assist for non USS deliveries. Anyone considering class action?

Was never informed or signed any disclaimer about lack of park assist or USS when taking delivery of MYLR in late Nov. user manual shows park assist functionality instructions. Have not received 40.4 release but those who have indicate still no park assist for non USS deliveries. Anyone considering class action?
In this case I think it would be justified. Just have to be sure there’s no fine print in anything you’ve signed that might contain language about features being changed without prior notice.

I suggested this on another thread (they even continue to advertise/sell EAP yet most features within it are currently non-functional - no fine print I can see) and someone pointed out there was verbiage in the contract that prevents coordination and requires arbitration.

But I’m sure there’s some JDs here who can speak to this better.

I really miss the USS
It’s been been 3 months since Tesla’s announcement there were no ultrasonics anymore.
I really doubt there is a new component in the non-uss cars like radar which is dormant and noone noticed.
Let’s keep our fingers crossed for the real TV update to restore all lost functionalities in january

Reactions: Dbergeeke