Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y no USS discussion, incl. Discussion of Tesla Vision Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We took delivery of a 2023 November-built Austin-made LRY last week, and it didnt come with USS (as expected.) This is also my wife's chief complaint about the car, as she had been familiar with how it worked on my USS-equipped M3P. I really dont understand why they would remove it without having a backup. The cameras are enough for me to maneuver the rear of the car, but from my seating position, I dont even see the front of the car. I find myself being super cautious as I dont quite have a bearing on the front corners.

We took delivery of a 2023 November-built Austin-made LRY last week, and it didnt come with USS (as expected.) This is also my wife's chief complaint about the car, as she had been familiar with how it worked on my USS-equipped M3P. I really dont understand why they would remove it without having a backup. The cameras are enough for me to maneuver the rear of the car, but from my seating position, I dont even see the front of the car. I find myself being super cautious as I dont quite have a bearing on the front corners.
Did you try talking to someone at Tesla Sales about this? When will the functionality be coming back? I hope it's before the end of the year.

For now try to find reference points around and approximate where you are when parking, and where the front part of the vehicle is (forward parking). You may be able to tell when looking to your left and checking the parking lines in reference to where you are, if those are present. Reverse parking may be a little easier because you have the backup camera and can try to estimate distances that way.

Last edited:
Just received my new MYHP today in Los Angeles. No sensors. Wasn't even aware they had done away with them or promised a replacement tech until I tried to park it today in the garage (very tight) and thought the sensors must not have been working. I've come to rely heavily on them, have them in my 2020 Model 3 and EVERY car I've had since probably early 2000's. This is unacceptable. Had I known, would NOT have purchased a new Tesla. Fix it please asap.

Can anyone share how the parking experience is in a non-USS Tesla Model Y vs. say a regular SUV with a backup camera? Just how bad is the experience? I'm taking delivery soon and coming from an old BMW sedan although I've driven rental SUVs in the past. Some might have had USS sensors while others just have a video to see how far you can push it.

Reactions: Mike7564
Just received my new MYHP today in Los Angeles. No sensors. Wasn't even aware they had done away with them or promised a replacement tech until I tried to park it today in the garage (very tight) and thought the sensors must not have been working. I've come to rely heavily on them, have them in my 2020 Model 3 and EVERY car I've had since probably early 2000's. This is unacceptable. Had I known, would NOT have purchased a new Tesla. Fix it please asap.
It’s a good feeling knowing my gardener’s 7year old pickup has more sensors than a new MY.

• Funny
Reactions: Falcon73
Can anyone share how the parking experience is in a non-USS Tesla Model Y vs. say a regular SUV with a backup camera? Just how bad is the experience? I'm taking delivery soon and coming from an old BMW sedan although I've driven rental SUVs in the past. Some might have had USS sensors while others just have a video to see how far you can push it.
I've got a non-USS Model Y. Backing up is fine for me, IMO the side cams nicely show where the wheels are so I don't hit any curbs when reverse parking and the backup cam shows part of the bumper/license plate so I can get close to obstacles.

I'm still extra careful though, since on the sides (rear corners) I have no info whatsoever. But I don't blindly follow the camera: I read the setup before parking carefully (like you would without sensors) and only use the camera to get closer than I normally would to objects I KNOW are there or not.

So I definitely want USS or an equivalent functionality, but backing up is not my issue.

(Disclaimer: I'm quite good at parking and therefore have a slightly easier time than people who rely solely on sensors. The only issue is this is my first Tesla and I'm not used to the dimensions of the nose yet. I do the old "drive 'till you're sure, get out, check, and inch forward some more" now to get used to it. I shouldn't have to on a premium car... :mad:)

Can anyone share how the parking experience is in a non-USS Tesla Model Y vs. say a regular SUV with a backup camera? Just how bad is the experience? I'm taking delivery soon and coming from an old BMW sedan although I've driven rental SUVs in the past. Some might have had USS sensors while others just have a video to see how far you can push

I just got my 2023 MYLR without USS and parking is fine. Yes, it’s nice to have an inch by inch guide, but I’ve been parking for 35 years without USS and the MY is no more difficult to park than any other car.