Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y no USS discussion, incl. Discussion of Tesla Vision Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any news on that?

I was initially freaked out about missing those warnings, but the only thing I miss now is warnings about pedestrians while backing out in a parking lot. Pulling into parking spaces is easy, and it's better now that I stay further away from the curb because those sensors never protected against scraping the under carriage.

I would think if radar is still there that someone would have found it. Given that Elon promised that TV is the only way, USS will not return. I'm really surprised they haven't enabled blind spot warnings while driving manually, since they function as part of FSD. I doubt I can I use FSD to back out of a parking spot.

I wish the youtube channel SarahnTuned would get a Tesla because she starts reviews by putting them up on the lift, and usually points out interesting stuff. One example, Genesis GV60:
They didnt take it off and I need to take it in to realign the side fenders a bit towards the doors, bummer.

Hi All,

want to open this thread for owner who had 2023 model Y with no ultrasonic sensor (USS).
Now car does not have park assist to show the distance in garage.

News saying we will be waiting on a Tesla Vision solution. Let's collect information together in this thread and share with others.
I agree, no USS is an accident waiting to happen. Whether we are backing up or going forward toward an object we now have no way to judge proximity.

Will Tesla install proximity sensors on our 2023 Model Y's. There is a lot of talk about the front and rear cameras doing the job "sometime" in the future but has this been tested. I own two Model Y's. A 2022 with sensors and a 2023 without the sensors. The 2023 Tesla Model Y, without the sensors, is an accident waiting to happen. I know older cars from yesteryear never had them but this is 2023! Tesla needs to send through the update withe the camera proximity to give us something to work with.

Reactions: Falcon73
Will Tesla install proximity sensors on our 2023 Model Y's. There is a lot of talk about the front and rear cameras doing the job "sometime" in the future but has this been tested. I own two Model Y's. A 2022 with sensors and a 2023 without the sensors. The 2023 Tesla Model Y, without the sensors, is an accident waiting to happen. I know older cars from yesteryear never had them but this is 2023! Tesla needs to send through the update withe the camera proximity to give us something to work with.

We don’t know about retrofitting. My guess is "no" due to the profit priority.

The Autopilot distance codes are being written for sonarless cars but still dormant:

I agree, no USS is an accident waiting to happen. Whether we are backing up or going forward toward an object we now have no way to judge proximity.
Agreed. I haven't seen it being mentioned much here, but parallel parking would be so much easier with sensors. I am new to the EV world. As it is, I am learning to adjust to pressing the gas pedal instead of releasing the brake pedal as I back into spots( I am using hold instead of creep) - sure could some help with the sensors warning if I am too close to nearby objects.

Reactions: bbbop and Falcon73
I have a new Model Y without USS. There are NO warnings when getting close to anything. It makes things like backing out of a parking spot, or pulling into your garage extra tricky. I think we have all become accustomed to having audio and visual "help" with those things.

My 2019 Model X has USS and it beeps when getting close to an object and shows how far you are away on the screen.
I am new to Tesla and three weeks ago I got my 2023 MYP without USS, and it was a big disappointment not having the park assist. (I am moving from a 2015 Nissan with 360 views and have a small garage). The thing that bothers me the most is why Tesla removes USS when clearly their function is not replaced by Tesla's vision

Reactions: Falcon73 and 804son
My old/previous Lexus RX350 won't allow me to back out if not safe. I could press the gas pedal and the car would not move
Now I have to rely on Tesla Vision Cameras and the 2 "artificial" lines in the back to give me some "safety" comfort, I don't like that. Maybe I will get used to it but the safety features on Lexus is better IMO

Hi All,

want to open this thread for owner who had 2023 model Y with no ultrasonic sensor (USS).
Now car does not have park assist to show the distance in garage.

News saying we will be waiting on a Tesla Vision solution. Let's collect information together in this thread and share with others.
Had our Tesla Y performance delivered last month and so disappointed. After waiting 7 months for it the Sonar was disabled so no parking sensors which fine if it had a front camera for parking but of course it doesn’t! Didn’t realise it doesn’t support Apple CarPlay which nowadays is a standard in most new cars especially high end which with this price tag I would say is the case! Voice recognition don’t get me started, simple commands like call xxxx comes up with navigate to, most frustrating. My Kia e-Niro Interim car was better on tech than this. Tesla need to up their game or expect another shitty quarter of sales

Potential buyers of Tesla need to be made aware of the lack of proximity alerts. If more widely known, it is likely to dampen demand in the short term, which in turn will get Tesla to act more quickly on providing a working solution.

At this point, I don't think Tesla is providing any notice/disclaimer about the removal of USS without a working alternative (I didn't get one) - so this info needs to come through external sources.

Here is my temporary USS for my garage. It takes the place of my proximity sensors that are missing from my 2024 modelY
59DC9377-E455-426D-83AB-4FFC89912DD0.jpeg
7A2549F5-33D8-454C-AFF2-666735BEE927.jpeg

Here is my temporary USS for my garage. It takes the place of my proximity sensors that are missing from my 2024 modelYView attachment 894908View attachment 894910
[missing from my 2024 modelY?]

Good Engineering work though
I hang a tennis ball from my garage door motor and it works quite well. Now I know exactly how far to go in, almost perfect every time

Reactions: heapmaster