Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y no USS discussion, incl. Discussion of Tesla Vision Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I chatted with an advisor on the Tesla website and asked about a timeframe for the return of Park Assist. I was told there is currently no timeframe for “when or if” the function will return. That was concerning, although I’m not convinced a website advisor would have full knowledge of the situation. It’s just disappointing that it has been 5 months since ultrasonic sensors have been removed and there is no software fix yet.

Basic is right. Read the fine print. I’m probably going to trade in my 2023 Y because this nightmare just doesn’t end. Wonder if Elon drives one of these without USS..
I agree. It’s been 4 months since I took delivery of mine. My wife reminds me every day it’s missing. But no one mentioned when I purchased this would be missing. Only after I ordered one and you are ready to take delivery. Bait and click. I am also thinking trading back to a ICE Mercedes, but the price reduction was the second slap that makes it harder.

I agree. It’s been 4 months since I took delivery of mine. My wife reminds me every day it’s missing. But no one mentioned when I purchased this would be missing. Only after I ordered one and you are ready to take delivery. Bait and click. I am also thinking trading back to a ICE Mercedes, but the price reduction was the second slap that makes it harder.

I started thinking that the price reduction, other than having the effect to push up sells, was meant to be "locking" former buyers to keep the Tesla, even if not satisfied, due to high loss in value, at the end retaining customers.

Reactions: Happy Hippo and SPF
I started thinking that the price reduction, other than having the effect to push up sells, was meant to be "locking" former buyers to keep the Tesla, even if not satisfied, due to high loss in value, at the end retaining customers.
I agree - screws over customers who took delivery and now can’t sell without a huge loss, and suckers in new customers who haven’t done their research properly and realised they are over paying for a car that is missing basic features even at the lower price.

Reactions: SPF
I am slowly losing hope that these features will ever come to Tesla Vision only cars. Recently, I chatted with an advisor on the Tesla website and asked when Park Assist is expected to be restored to camera-only vehicles. I was told that "there isn't current timeframe as to when or if that will be back." Hearing that is discouraging given that the Tesla website had said that the feature is "coming soon" to camera-only vehicles.
For my peace of mind I'm assuming my car will never have parking warnings.

We need to notify any service people that there are no warnings. I didn't think of this when I had PPF/Ceramic applied. The poor guy working on my car has to maneuver client vehicles around a relatively small garage. He was smart enough to avoid hitting anything. I felt embarrassed that I forgot to tell him.

I find it kinda funny that Tesla is going cheap by removing USS, and Volvo goes gangbusters to ensure that it has the hardware to enable higher SAE levels of full self driving. The EX90 has as standard equipment:

8 cameras
16 ultrasonic sensors
5 radar
1 LiDAR

Tesla should be leading the way, not removing hardware…

Reactions: L1TR and SPF
I find it kinda funny that Tesla is going cheap by removing USS, and Volvo goes gangbusters to ensure that it has the hardware to enable higher SAE levels of full self driving. The EX90 has as standard equipment:

8 cameras
16 ultrasonic sensors
5 radar
1 LiDAR

Showing themselves up to be manufacturers of highly over priced average cars. They are letting their previous market lead position disappear at a phenomenal rate by poor engineering and product management decisions, and even worse customer care. Suffice to say that my next or ever again car will not be a Tesla.

8 cameras
16 ultrasonic sensors
5 radar
1 LiDAR

I also have a 2023 and want parking sensors, but meaningfully, that EX90 is almost twice the money of my 3, especially after the dealer jacks up prices in my neck of the woods, with no real delivery date. I impulse bought my Tesla and it was in my garage in days, and it cost what the website said it would cost (which seems like it should be the norm here), and I didn't spend 4 hours filling out paperwork so the dealer can get payouts on running loan applications. The no hassle buying experience forgives many sins. I'll be more annoyed with Tesla when i can buy that Volvo with similar ease.

I also have a 2023 and want parking sensors, but meaningfully, that EX90 is almost twice the money of my 3, especially after the dealer jacks up prices in my neck of the woods, with no real delivery date. I impulse bought my Tesla and it was in my garage in days, and it cost what the website said it would cost (which seems like it should be the norm here), and I didn't spend 4 hours filling out paperwork so the dealer can get payouts on running loan applications. The no hassle buying experience forgives many sins. I'll be more annoyed with Tesla when i can buy that Volvo with similar ease.
I’m super confused as to your point. Tesla removed USS from all its vehicles, including the flagship S/X — the latter of which would compete with the EX90.

My point is, the competition at all price points is doing active safety better and upping the game. Tesla is going backwards.

I’m super confused as to your point. Tesla removed USS from all its vehicles, including the flagship S/X — the latter of which would compete with the EX90.

My point is, the competition at all price points is doing active safety better and upping the game. Tesla is going backwards.
My point is there is no EX90, whereas you can get the Tesla today. It's only competition if you can buy both cars at the same time.

Reactions: bhzmark
i couldnt imagine not having USS .. its the only way i can back into my garage when the cameras are covered with snow
Not trying to be condecending or anything, but i just wonder how you were able to park, back in the day, before parking sensors existed. ?

I have owned 7 different cars in my life, and only the last 2 has had those sensors. When i get the Tesla it will be 8 different cars, with 6 of those without sensors.

Reactions: ASN21
Not trying to be condecending or anything, but i just wonder how you were able to park, back in the day, before parking sensors existed. ?
For one thing, cars used to be better at providing the driver visibility of not only their own bumpers, but also visibility of what's around the vehicle. For example, one car I had, I could see not only the very corners of my own hood, but I could look out the back when parallel parking and see the hood of the vehicle behind me. Contrast this to modern cars, which manufacturers have made taller and taller, and you often cannot see the corners of your own hood and when looking out the back, you see only the windshield of the vehicle behind you because they've made the trunk so damn tall (Tesla is one of the absolute worst at this). And then they try to fix the problems they've created by putting sensors and cameras all over the car.

Reactions: gt2690b
For one thing, cars used to be better at providing the driver visibility of not only their own bumpers, but also visibility of what's around the vehicle. For example, one car I had, I could see not only the very corners of my own hood, but I could look out the back when parallel parking and see the hood of the vehicle behind me. Contrast this to modern cars, which manufacturers have made taller and taller, and you often cannot see the corners of your own hood and when looking out the back, you see only the windshield of the vehicle behind you because they've made the trunk so damn tall (Tesla is one of the absolute worst at this). And then they try to fix the problems they've created by putting sensors and cameras all over the car.
On one of the previous cars i had with sensors i would have traded them for a reversing camera any day. These sensors were screaming at me in an annoying tone, that was not very helpful.

It also had front sensors, if i parked up against a wall, front in, as soon as i started the car, they would beep at me furiously, even when i was not in gear, and the handbrake was engaged.

They could be cancelled, but if i did that, they would immideately be reengaged when i put the car into reverse. Why it felt it needed to warn me about the wall in front of me, when the car was in reverse i never understood.

Would i have liked the sensors on the Tesla....Sure, a car at this pricepoint should absolutely have them, but am i realistically going to need them to a point where the car is "undriveable" without, certainly not.

I have owned 7 different cars in my life, and only the last 2 has had those sensors. When i get the Tesla it will be 8 different cars, with 6 of those without sensors.
I never had to back another car into the garage to reach it's charger.. I'm sure I'd manage though maybe break the old tennis ball on a string out

Reactions: hmadsen
I never had to back another car into the garage to reach it's charger.. I'm sure I'd manage though maybe break the old tennis ball on a string out
If it is just to know when to stop to not hit the wall, maybe this will be an option.

It is basically the USS, but mounted on the wall, with a "traffic light" to tell you when to stop.

Reactions: gt2690b

For my 2 cents, I’d just like my car to be as advertised with features I have paid for. I believe it is called fraud when you don’t supply that. Why would anyone in their right mind give £70k to a fraudster…oh because we didn’t know we were being conned by Tesla until the last minute, when they then added the “coming soon” lie…

Reactions: hmadsen