Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y RWD vin assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove a white RWD Y at the Fremont Sales Center on Monday. Unless you absolutely need to do freeway launches 24/7, it's plenty. It's just not an MYP or MYLR. Since I'm coming from an S85 RWD, it's about the same, fast enough and faster than 9.5 out of 10 ICEs. If you want performance, get the MYP. I'm getting this for the LFP battery pack which will last longer and I won't have to baby. The LR has 330 miles of range but that drops fast and you have to baby it.

BTW, the VIN was 7SAYGDED9PF907474 (Fremont build, Single motor). Also the Additional Vehicle Information page did not even have a High voltage battery type line. Otherwise, Ryzen, 2G/3G/4G, Permanent magnet. I didn't check whether it had Matrix.
The Fremont RWD Y with vin 7SAYGDED9PF907474 does not have an LFP pack. The 7th digit is the fuel type. E is for lithium ion and F is LFP. I think it is more likely to be a 55-60 kwh pack consisting of 4680 cells. The AWD Y standard range pack used 4680s with a capacity of 67.6 kwh and charges at up to 200kw (according to Tesla's specs page before it was discontinued). The lower charging speed on the RWD Y and weight is consistent with there being fewer cells.

Model Y vin decoder: https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/mid/home/displayfile/fbec7f77-5e2b-4d06-b46c-267e7327c2ff

Reactions: EVChris
The Fremont RWD Y with vin 7SAYGDED9PF907474 does not have an LFP pack. The 7th digit is the fuel type. E is for lithium ion and F is LFP. I think it is more likely to be a 55-60 kwh pack consisting of 4680 cells. The AWD Y standard range pack used 4680s with a capacity of 67.6 kwh and charges at up to 200kw (according to Tesla's specs page before it was discontinued). The lower charging speed on the RWD Y and weight is consistent with there being fewer cells.

Model Y vin decoder: https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/mid/home/displayfile/fbec7f77-5e2b-4d06-b46c-267e7327c2ff
Sad about no LFP, but more importantly, what motor does it have? Just the piddly little 6.9 second 0 - 60 one, or the bigger 5.9 second jobbie?

Sad about no LFP, but more importantly, what motor does it have? Just the piddly little 6.9 second 0 - 60 one, or the bigger 5.9 second jobbie?
According to EPA documents, it has a 198 kW motor. See page 19 here: https://dis.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=58042&flag=1

In comparison, the Model 3 RWD has a 192 kW motor. Page 18: https://dis.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=56622&flag=1

Also, based on those two documents, the highway range of Model Y RWD is 322 mi/351 mi= 91.7% of the Model 3 RWD. The 322 mi and 351 mi numbers are highway dyno test scores and the reason they are so unrealistically high is that they are running the highway test at 48 mph which is too low. To convert that to 65 mph, a good multiplier would be 70.3%. So, that would be 322*0.703 =226 mi for Model Y RWD vs 351*0.703 = 247 mi for Model 3 RWD. Range at 70 mph should be 20 miles less and 75 mph should be another 17 mi less. Additionally, assume 5% battery degradation and 15% winter range loss.

Model 3 Long Range AWD98 and 195 kW AC 3-Phase
Model 3 Performance AWD131 and 190 kW AC 3-Phase
Model 3 RWD192 kW AC 3-Phase
Model Y AWD91 and 200 kW AC 3-Phase
Model Y Long Range AWD91 and 200 kW AC 3-Phase
Model Y Performance AWD133 and 179 kW AC 3-Phase
Model Y RWD198 kW AC 3-Phase

That’s not good. Does anyone think the RWD with 2170 is a good deal compared to the LR + AWD for 5K more. The effective daily range with RWD is then 260-20% = 208, which is practically about 150mi or less on bad weather days assuming you want to arrive at the destination with at least 10%. To top that the car will charge slower than the AWD.
If the RWD has an LFP battery as I'm led to believe, you should get the full 260 miles as Tesla encourages owners to charge them to 100%. OTOH the LR has 2170 NMC batteries, they recommend charging NMC to 80% for daily use, which would result in 264 miles (330x80%). So the effective range for daily use is basically the same for the RWD and the LR. LFP batteries are good for more cycles so they will last longer, and there is less risk of a thermal runway compared to NMC - but I am not saying NMC is risky. The only advantage to the LR is you could occasionally charge close to 100% to get longer stints on road trips if desired. There are reports the LFP battery initial degradation is faster than NMC, but that slows for both chemistries, and the LFP will actually last longer in the end.

[It is a PITA that Tesla won't even tell buyers what they are ordering/getting. HW3 vs HW4? LFP or NMC? etc.]

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-29 at 12.54.16 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-29 at 12.54.16 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 73
Last edited:
4680 is a deal breaker for me
4680 cells aren't bad and the form factor was never expected to come bearing breakthroughs in energy density or chemistry, alone. Rather, it was primarily for improving cost and manufacturing. For longevity, 2170s were already modeled/expected to last 300-500k miles in existing packs, while 4680s were claimed to be capable of achieving 1M mile per pack. Gen 2 4680s are expected to have a 10% volumetric energy density improvement over gen 1, according to the reveal at the latest earnings call.
Even though the ideal LFP packs generally have a longer calendar life and a more gentle degradation curve compared to NMC and NCA chemistries, unless you plan on running the pack beyond 500k miles, prioritizing the chemistry of the pack itself may not be worth the performance differences. I believe A123 Systems was the last company to make LFP cells in the US and it went bankrupt years ago and new entrants are just starting up, so LFP manufacturing in the North America is several years away from mass production. Further, based on the tax credit situation and trade-war with China, I don't think we'll be seeing any LFP Y's any time soon.

Last edited:
The Fremont RWD Y with vin 7SAYGDED9PF907474 does not have an LFP pack. The 7th digit is the fuel type. E is for lithium ion and F is LFP.
Yes, the new Model Y RWD at Fremont doesn't have CATL LFP cells because it has 2170 cells but the VIN you mentioned doesn't actually prove no LFP because it is a 2023 model year VIN and in 2023 Digit 7 doesn't have E, and F versions. It shows only E for all 2023 model year Teslas, including the Model 3 SR RWD at Fremont which uses CATL LFP cells. See the 2023 decoder here: https://cdn.motor1.com/pdf-files/tesla-my2023-vin-decoder.pdf

Digit 10 in the VIN you mentioned is P which means 2023. R means 2024 but Tesla hasn't started using that yet. We will find out about LFP or non-LFP from Digit 7 for the first time when Tesla switches production to the 2024 model year probably in a few days.

Last edited:
Yes, the new Model Y RWD at Fremont doesn't have CATL LFP cells because it has 2170 cells but the VIN you mentioned doesn't actually prove no LFP because it is a 2023 model year VIN and in 2023 Digit 7 doesn't have E, and F versions. It shows only E for all 2023 model year Teslas, including the Model 3 SR RWD at Fremont which uses CATL LFP cells. See the 2023 decoder here: https://cdn.motor1.com/pdf-files/tesla-my2023-vin-decoder.pdf

Digit 10 in the VIN you mentioned is P which means 2023. R means 2024 but Tesla hasn't started using that yet. We will find out about LFP or non-LFP from Digit 7 for the first time when Tesla switches production to the 2024 model year probably in a few days.
I just read somewhere (Electrek?) that starting with the 2024 models, it will indicate in the VIN whether the car has an LFP or LIO battery. Ths implies they aren't doing this yet.