Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024.20.1 w/Matrix Headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2023 Model Y and just installed 2024.20.1 this morning. I was excited to try out the new feature which is supposed to adjust for curves but when I just took it out for a night time test drive I noticed nothing changing throughout a variety of types of turns and speeds. It is turned on in the “Lights” menu but doesn’t appear to do anything. Anyone else feel the same or know under what circumstances they start working? Thank you!

Reactions: Bikeman
I have a 2023 Model Y and just installed 2024.20.1 this morning. I was excited to try out the new feature which is supposed to adjust for curves but when I just took it out for a night time test drive I noticed nothing changing throughout a variety of types of turns and speeds. It is turned on in the “Lights” menu but doesn’t appear to do anything. Anyone else feel the same or know under what circumstances they start working? Thank you!
Same. I can tell no difference after installing.

No perceptible change here either.

the swiveling function of headlights are rarely ever perceptible. in cars ive had, they look obvious when first turned on (and they swivel to calibrate), but on-road driving theyre not noticeable.

the matrix-blanking function of headlights, if delivered to north america, is noticeable. but they do not activate instantly or in bright ambient condition. if youre driving in a dark country road, it might take a beat or two for them to activate or reactivate if the headlights were in the low-beam mode.

the swiveling function of headlights are rarely ever perceptible. in cars ive had, they look obvious when first turned on (and they swivel to calibrate), but on-road driving theyre not noticeable.

the matrix-blanking function of headlights, if delivered to north america, is noticeable. but they do not activate instantly or in bright ambient condition. if youre driving in a dark country road, it might take a beat or two for them to activate or reactivate if the headlights were in the low-beam mode.

I haven't tried it in my Tesla. However, I have used it in our Mercs and it is very obvious. If no one sees any perceptible difference, is it like the auto wiper thing where Tesla says they've improved it after every update but they haven't?

I'm excited to try this as well as I got the update last night. In my old BMW, the swiveling was very noticeable. I would think this would be more of enabling additional light coverage which may be a smoother and less noticeable transition than a physically shifting/swiveling of the project lens.

Last night was my first night drive on 2024.20.x. There was no noticeable difference with the lights in turns. I even added extra distance on my drive home to try to see the feature in action. Meh. No difference. But what I did notice was that when active in the settings, the automatic brights were acting weird. On a quiet street with no traffic, the lights bounced from regular to bright many many times and seemingly without reason. And every two seconds or so. I turned the feature off when I got home. I classify this early U.S. Matrix Lights effort in the same category of worse-than-all-other-cars and it almost ties with the humorous Tesla Auto Wipers.

Keep working on it Tesla. Maybe someday I will turn the feature back on.

I haven't tried it in my Tesla. However, I have used it in our Mercs and it is very obvious. If no one sees any perceptible difference, is it like the auto wiper thing where Tesla says they've improved it after every update but they haven't?
Yeah my Porsche was very noticeable but the whole headlight actually moved and it was very cool on Colorado’s mountain roads - especially with all the wildlife.

I am not sure what the Tesla headlights actually do? Maybe someone knows.

I did notice that in the garage the lights move a tad as I turn the wheel. Who knows. 24 MYP
I noticed that too in both our MYs. But I just thought that was because the car was stationary and turning the wheels made the car move slightly, causing the lights to move a bit as well. I did also notice it seems like it turned a bit while taking turns. But again. Not sure if it's the adaptive lights at work or the lights just turning along with the car. I didn't pay attention before and now I'm not sure. Definitely nothing like in our other cars though. But then, those cars, like others mentioned, either has swiveling headlights or an extra bulb in the cluster that turned on.

I've done several night drives since getting 2024.20.1, and see absolutely no difference whatsoever. Yes, I have matrix headlights. Yes, I have adaptive headlights turned on.

In fact, if I go into the headlight adjustment dialog in the service menu, I cannot adjust either headlight left/right at all (up/down works).

Overpromise and underdeliver. The Tesla way.

Reactions: ucmndd
I'm not clear if the headlight curve adjusting feature is for all Model Y's, or only those with matrix headlights?

I have a 2024 Austin built MYLR and I do see the option now in my "Lights" menu and it is selected in blue. Does that mean my car's headlights supports the feature? I don't know which headlights I have and I don't see matrix headlights mentioned in my window sticker. I haven't yet tried testing the feature.