Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As someone who's shopping for 18 inch wheels and tires for my new M3P, are the hankooks semi decent performance wise? I am not looking for Michelin PS4 AS levels of grip (I had them on my old sports sedan which were fantastic) but I don't want them to feel like Michelin primacy levels of mediocrity.
Hankook offers a summer version of the Hankook iON EVO tire. If you don’t need absolutely maximum efficiency like I do then I would get the summer version.

Fantastic video. I have no practical need for better 60-130 acceleration but watching your analysis makes me want to get a Highland Performance.
This car met and even exceeded my expectations. It truly is a fantastic car. I look for excuses to go for a drive now. My wife loves the fact that I will do every errand she wants now.

Great post and data thanks!! One question - how do you feel those tires will hold up over time/mileage? I’m definitely going to need to get some all season wheels/tires coming up this fall and keep the stock ones for summer and track days. I’m not super concerned about efficiency, as not planning to road trip it, we have another car for that. I’m more looking to not have to buy new tires every time I turn around !

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I appreciate your moderation of these posts. I understand why that rule is in place but I also appreciate why you made the exception. I am going to try to provide as much information as possible in this thread. In some cases I have to make videos of it because it is more efficient to communicate it to everyone that way. If I wrote a post with many thousands of words people wouldn't read all of it. However, with the video they can watch it at double speed and gobble up a ton of data very quickly.

Here are some of the things I am going to add to this thread in the coming days.

1. A full explanation and video demonstration of what wheels work, why some wheels won't work, and how to efficiently swap wheels out.
2. More on how to extend range with this vehicle.
3. How to modify the car if you hate the new turn signal buttons like I do.

I just watched the video (the whole thing). I really enjoyed it! I like fact based videos, and a lack of "hey whats up guys...", and a focus on the information instead of a focus on trying to grab eyeballs.

I really really loved the style, and I am not a "subscribe to youtube channel type person. I am not making these comments on behalf of TMC, just on my own behalf, but after watching the video I feel I have confirmed my decision to sticky the thread.

Im looking forward to the other videos you mention you are going to create in this series. Nice job!

This car met and even exceeded my expectations. It truly is a fantastic car. I look for excuses to go for a drive now. My wife loves the fact that I will do every errand she wants now.
Are you going to discuss the suspension at all? Is it lower than the non-P? I have tint, PPF, rims, and full MPP suspension on my current car which is part of the reason that upgrading to a new model is unattractive (also the cost and higher personal property taxes). I am curious how the new suspension feels.

Glad to hear you are really enjoying it. That says a lot about the car given how good I feel the old P is.

Looking for excuses to drive ... that's been my truth ever since I got my P3D- in 2018.

And people don't get what great road trip cars they are. The morning after a twelve-hour LA --> SLC run, my wife piped up "Hey, let's go for a drive today!"

Can't wait to get my hands on the new!! (Just hoping an opportunity arises for getting red ... without getting rid of the tax credit!)

Great post and video. So far my forecasts are correct about performance. Im sure Ludicrous mode will come within months and would up the maximum torque but keep the maximum power. So it will cut another .2 seconds off the 0-60 and probably 0.4 off 1/4.

I just want to remind everyone that while motors torque limit is set below capabilities of all-season tires for acceleration, the stopping distance of UHP summer tires is dramatically shorter.

Its not just a track gimmick for cornering, but a safety thing that comes at the cost of range, noise and average tire cost.

• Disagree
Great post and data thanks!! One question - how do you feel those tires will hold up over time/mileage? I’m definitely going to need to get some all season wheels/tires coming up this fall and keep the stock ones for summer and track days. I’m not super concerned about efficiency, as not planning to road trip it, we have another car for that. I’m more looking to not have to buy new tires every time I turn around !
These tires have a 50k warranty. They will do just fine over the entire term of the lease I have.

Reactions: ArrghMatey
Great post and video. So far my forecasts are correct about performance. Im sure Ludicrous mode will come within months and would up the maximum torque but keep the maximum power. So it will cut another .2 seconds off the 0-60 and probably 0.4 off 1/4.

I just want to remind everyone that while motors torque limit is set below capabilities of all-season tires for acceleration, the stopping distance of UHP summer tires is dramatically shorter.

Its not just a track gimmick for cornering, but a safety thing that comes at the cost of range, noise and average tire cost.
I disagree that there will be a Ludicrous mode but I agree that at least summer tires are a must for everything but straight line acceleration.

The battery is absolutely maxed out in this car. There isn’t another KW to give with it if you can launch with 627 HP of metric Max Discharge. There won’t be any straight line acceleration upgrades for this car unless they are weight reductions.

Are you going to discuss the suspension at all? Is it lower than the non-P? I have tint, PPF, rims, and full MPP suspension on my current car which is part of the reason that upgrading to a new model is unattractive (also the cost and higher personal property taxes). I am curious how the new suspension feels.

Glad to hear you are really enjoying it. That says a lot about the car given how good I feel the old P is.
I am not an expert on suspension. Corners and handling just aren’t my area of expertise. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge in that area than me will post that information.

I just watched the video (the whole thing). I really enjoyed it! I like fact based videos, and a lack of "hey whats up guys...", and a focus on the information instead of a focus on trying to grab eyeballs.

I really really loved the style, and I am not a "subscribe to youtube channel type person. I am not making these comments on behalf of TMC, just on my own behalf, but after watching the video I feel I have confirmed my decision to sticky the thread.

Im looking forward to the other videos you mention you are going to create in this series. Nice job!
My YouTube user name is LearningFast for that very reason. I try to get the information out there as quickly and accurately as possible.

It was really difficult to get the video down under 11 minutes with how much information I had to share. I literally said the information as fast as I possibly could because people lose interest if the video goes much past 10 minutes.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin