Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Insurance Costs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's robbery is what its is..and we all sit there and take it instead of refusing to pay..if we all refused renewals and got the bus/train for a few weeks most of these insurance firms would go under and the rest would soon fall into line and provide acceptable prices
To better understand your undoubted annoyance would you care to reveal the cost of your policy? It might make an interesting comparison.

It's robbery is what its is..and we all sit there and take it instead of refusing to pay..if we all refused renewals and got the bus/train for a few weeks most of these insurance firms would go under and the rest would soon fall into line and provide acceptable prices
Errr.....I really don't think that is going to work in a million years!

Yes, Tesla insurance prices in particular are high, and prices for other vehicles have in many cases increased.

But insurance for many cars, for many people are perfectly acceptable (as is the case for the 2 ICE cars in our household) and certainly nothing which would make me take the pitchfork from the shed and scream rebellion!!!

The numbers of people you'd need to ditch their cars, not pay insurance and take the bus instead to make insurance companies even blink would be huge.....and completely unattainable.

Also, your cunning plan seeks to drive some companies out of business....so reducing competition and then remainder magically dropping their prices?! I see a slight flaw in this logic!!

I have just SORN'd the leaf (spare) as the quotes I was getting for it were more than for the Y in March last year but I doubt it will make a dent towards this.

Comes March, I might have to consider wether to SORN the Y and bring the leaf back. Im at least hoping the insurance for the bike won't go up this year as that has only cost me about 100 quid.

Reactions: Whyone
Many people have to drive to the nearest station and do not have a regular bus service.
Do you cunning plan only works for those who could do without a vehicle in the first place.

damn. £550 last year with the Y - changed halfway through the year so only paid £80 to update so didn’t mind (was £450 for the 3LR before that)

just got renewal from churchill - £870! Comparison sites lowest is £750 and goes to £810 if you skip the first few (may be ok but often limited options).

Direct line (because hey they’re not on comparison sites) - £1350!

Any others to try? Its a Y RWD so pretty basic, quoted value is £38k, only do 5000 miles at the moment with wfh

For those that have to see it to believe it, Ill post this video.

Not only has the insurance written off that Audi but they devalued it by giving it the wrong category hence less return on salvage. No guesses as to who is paying for that now! Bonkers!

Reactions: Obie and MrT3
damn. £550 last year with the Y - changed halfway through the year so only paid £80 to update so didn’t mind (was £450 for the 3LR before that)

just got renewal from churchill - £870! Comparison sites lowest is £750 and goes to £810 if you skip the first few (may be ok but often limited options).

Direct line (because hey they’re not on comparison sites) - £1350!

Any others to try? Its a Y RWD so pretty basic, quoted value is £38k, only do 5000 miles at the moment with wfh
I suggest you phone them up and increase you voluntary access by £300. I did that and it saved me £150/year. If I don't have an accident for 2 years I will be making a saving...

Meerkats are saying around 870ish this year but I haven't had my renewal offer yet and last year it was cheaper to renew than switch insurers (wierdly).

If it's at that level it's a 30% increase, way above inflation. If I wasn't in the hole on the PCP I'd be thinking of just switching to using taxis instead of owning a car.

Reactions: Mrklaw
Meerkats are saying around 870ish this year but I haven't had my renewal offer yet and last year it was cheaper to renew than switch insurers (wierdly).

If it's at that level it's a 30% increase, way above inflation. If I wasn't in the hole on the PCP I'd be thinking of just switching to using taxis instead of owning a car.

friend of ours does that to cut down to one car. I’d be tempted but then we’d be stuck with the wife’s e-golf which for long trips isn’t ideal :) and she wouldn’t want a bigger car.