Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Insurance Costs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unpopular opinion but driving a lesser powered car and building up your NCD is a bit of a rite of passage. Jumping into a group 48/50 car that does 0-60 in 3.5 seconds for your first car sounds pretty mental.

I would have absolutely killed myself if I'd been able to do that at 17. I put my Dad's company car (I was insured, incredibly) backwards into a ditch and that was only a 405TD which was glacial in acceleration by comparison.

dce4rpr-3fdd58ef-770f-4d4c-9dfb-2ab552c0b65b.png

(etc etc)

Actually, turns out Admiral Group are doing blocking on quotes correlated by surname, date of birth and postcode by comparison site and their own after a certain threshold of repetition or variation. So no wonder their chat/call staff are flooded with demand.
This was driving me insane. I wanted to do a new quote for comparison purposes “you already have a policy, you can add to it in your account”.
I don’t want to add to it……

Then I ring them. “We are having system difficulties we will ring you back next week”

Based on this thread, and the big increases mentioned, I decided to get a new quote to renew my insurance. Renewed last May for £428 with Churchill Plus and to renew now would be £545. However with eSure I can renew for £428.
So I'm not seeing a big increase and as I just turned 70, I thought I would...
Hopefully, these quoted prices stay around for a while...

Reactions: covacure
Might be interesting to get a quote for temporary cover for 23 days then quote again for your annual insurance to start then.

The combination might be a considerably lower financial hit, if more admin. Sneaky insurers requoting once you have a registration plate…
I guess run the risk of it increasing too though. I’ve only had my licence less than 3 years so it’s kind of expected. Doesn’t help with insurance being at an all time high on top of that. Sure 10 years ago it’d have probably been half of that based on my profile. Aka 33 year old who passed his test late and is an idiot getting a powerful high insurance group car so early in his driving life 🙃

Reactions: Matthewleigh
I guess run the risk of it increasing too though. I’ve only had my licence less than 3 years so it’s kind of expected. Doesn’t help with insurance being at an all time high on top of that. Sure 10 years ago it’d have probably been half of that based on my profile. Aka 33 year old who passed his test late and is an idiot getting a powerful high insurance group car so early in his driving life 🙃

Where is the risk?!

You run the quote, if its sufficiently less to merit cancelling/paying cancellation fees/accepting new quote, you go for it.

If it's more / not worth the hassle, you've lost nothing more than a few minutes finding this out!

Based on this thread, and the big increases mentioned, I decided to get a new quote to renew my insurance. Renewed last May for £428 with Churchill Plus and to renew now would be £545. However with eSure I can renew for £428.
So I'm not seeing a big increase and as I just turned 70, I thought I would...
Hopefully, these quoted prices stay around for a while...

I got that same quote from esure, but looking at the details, protected NCB is an extra £57 and the mandatory excess is higher than other quotes.

After being quoted minimums of £1300 to £1500 Co-op essentials came in at just over £800 via comparison website money supermarket. I’ve snapped their hand off. And apparently there’s no additional charge and I don’t need to declare if I upgrade to acceleration boost at any time!!!

Madness. But if I want to change my reg plate it’s another £7

#logic

Is there a list of UK insurers that provides cover when the leasing company is both the registered keeper and owner? I have a Model Y on business lease with ALD Automotive. It was a painful experience last year finding an insurer (I got Admiral at a reasonable-ish price) but I fear this year is going to be more painful.

My insurance is due for renewal in just under 4 weeks time. I'm waiting for Admiral to provide me the renewal quote. I have been to the usual comparison sites and shockingly the list of insurers is even less than last year. AA comes out cheapest but at more than double my current price (800 vs 2000). Nothing changed other than an extra year NCB.

<controversial>

Just putting it out there, but how many people would be prepared to have their cars acceleration and top speed locked down if it gave them a significant discount on their vehicle insurance?

I am sure there are many people who didn’t buy their Tesla for its performance and would quite happily trade some of that potential for a significant cut in insurance premium.

</controversial>