Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Model 3 LR AWD is now eligible for the $7500 tax credit [posted 06/17/2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new AWD-E versions are showing on the window sticker as 75% US/Canadian content, 20% Mexico. The prior AWD version had a window sticker of 35% US/Canadian, 40% China, 20% Mexico. To me it looks like there was a supply chain change and they are now using the US made Panasonic battery in the LR.

Reactions: E90alex
In the EPA Docs it says LR AWD and LR AWD-E weigh the same, but this may also be an error, as the Panasonic should be 20kg heavier.

It also lists all cars, even Performance as 230A, which cant be correct, as LG is 230Ah and Panasonic is 235-236Ah.

This is a bit confusing...
Yeah I often ignore a bunch of the data in these docs. I am not saying it is always wrong, it sometimes seems correct. But not always. They do seem to use copy and paste a lot.

The measured data which can’t be copy pasted seems pretty reliable though. I don’t ignore that.

If the car then pulls 250kW to at least 14% it is a Panasonic. If it hits 250kW for a few seconds and then drops it is the LG
It’s so annoying how slow these packs are now. The original pack does 250kW to over 25%, as I recall IME.

I wish they would make them better. It’s been nearly four years. Even the Panasonic seems notably worse.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Seattle and eivissa
It’s so annoying how slow these packs are now. The original pack does 250kW to over 25%, as I recall IME.

I wish they would make them better. It’s been nearly four years. Even the Panasonic seems notably worse.
Yes. They have been going backwards since the release of the original Panasonic Long Range pack in 2018/2019.
  • Those packs showed over 79kWh in some EPA tests. The best current Panasonic packs average around 80kWh, some go to 82kWh. LG no more than 79kWh.
  • The old packs would pull 250kW to 30% even. and 150kW at 60%. Better than current Panasonic and much better than any LG.
  • Even degradation data suggests that the old / initial Panasonic packs hold up better than anything that came later.
  • Power wise there is also no advantage. An old pack would do up to 430kW. Current Panasonic do around 435kW and LG peaks at 415kW.
This really isn't the development most of us have hoped for :-(

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Yes. They have been going backwards since the release of the original Panasonic Long Range pack in 2018/2019.
  • Those packs showed over 79kWh in some EPA tests. The best current Panasonic packs average around 80kWh, some go to 82kWh. LG no more than 79kWh.
  • The old packs would pull 250kW to 30% even. and 150kW at 60%. Better than current Panasonic and much better than any LG.
  • Even degradation data suggests that the old / initial Panasonic packs hold up better than anything that came later.
  • Power wise there is also no advantage. An old pack would do up to 430kW. Current Panasonic do around 435kW and LG peaks at 415kW.
This really isn't the development most of us have hoped for :-(
I’m sure you know this, but it is simply cell availability. The Model Y didn’t exist in 2018/2019. Tesla didn’t sell a lot of cars back then either. I don’t know if it’s “going backwards” as much as managing their supply chain.

As I stated previously, Tesla miscalculated sales of the Model Y vs the Model 3. Everyone knows Juniper is coming, even if not til 2025, so people are holding off on buying the Model Y if they can - unless given a sweet deal on one now like Tesla has been trying to do.

So Tesla pushed all their Nevada cells into the Model Y (except M3P which needs them) and were left short handed for the M3LR. Now they are sitting on tons of Model Y inventory and a lower future sales forecast, so cells are available for the M3LR now. Couple that with people want refreshed models and Tesla was basically forced into going back to the Panasonic cells for the M3LR, which I believe they wouldn’t have changed in the first place had enough cells been available to begin with.

The new Panasonic plant in Kansas is coming online next year, which will solve the USA cell issues for the foreseeable future one would think.

Last edited:
Reactions: mborkow and E90alex
I’m sure you know this, but it is simply cell availability. The Model Y didn’t exist in 2018/2019. Tesla didn’t sell a lot of cars back then either. I don’t know if it’s “going backwards” as much as managing their supply chain.
No. We are comparing Panasonic 2170 vs. Panasonic 2170L. If they sacrificed cell capacity presumably they could go back to the old charge curves.

Or they have discovered problems with the old charge curves and are just not worrying about it for those older vehicles (don’t want to software update to make worse) but fixing it by slowing down charging, going forward. (Unlikely I think.)

As I stated previously, Tesla miscalculated sales of the Model Y vs the Model 3. Everyone knows Juniper is coming, even if not til 2025, so people are holding off on buying the Model Y if they can - unless given a sweet deal on one now like Tesla has been trying to do.

So Tesla pushed all their Nevada cells into the Model Y (except M3P which needs them) and were left short handed for the M3LR. Now they are sitting on tons of Model Y inventory and a lower future sales forecast, so cells are available for the M3LR now. Couple that with people want refreshed models and Tesla was basically forced into going back to the Panasonic cells for the M3LR, which I believe they wouldn’t have changed in the first place had enough cells been available to begin with.

The new Panasonic plant in Kansas is coming online next year, which will solve the USA cell issues for the foreseeable future one would think.
Model Y sales were slow in Q1 but with the .99% promotion in March Model Y sales picked up substantially. If you read through the comments both here and on Reddit, the biggest complaint right now from Model Y buyers is the long lead times. Some people are being quoted August deliveries. They still have some inventory but if you want a popular configuration, including anything with QuickSilver, you have a long wait time.

Model Y sales were slow in Q1 but with the .99% promotion in March Model Y sales picked up substantially. If you read through the comments both here and on Reddit, the biggest complaint right now from Model Y buyers is the long lead times. Some people are being quoted August deliveries. They still have some inventory but if you want a popular configuration, including anything with QuickSilver, you have a long wait time.
Every single configuration of the Model Y says delivery in June right now, which only has 10 days left, including quicksilver paint. There are soooo many in inventory and sitting in lots across the country. This isn’t my opinion; it’s readily verifiable.

No. We are comparing Panasonic 2170 vs. Panasonic 2170L. If they sacrificed cell capacity presumably they could go back to the old charge curves.

Or they have discovered problems with the old charge curves and are just not worrying about it for those older vehicles (don’t want to software update to make worse) but fixing it by slowing down charging, going forward. (Unlikely I think.)
Comparing to 2170C cells, right? I have 2170L cells in my 2021 M3 LR I’m pretty sure. And I don’t think they’ve changed from 2170L cells since 2021, correct?

Every single configuration of the Model Y says delivery in June right now, which only has 10 days left, including quicksilver paint. There are soooo many in inventory and sitting in lots across the country. This isn’t my opinion; it’s readily verifiable.
I agree with you on the larger issue and give you credit for being one of the first to have the change in battery theory.

But you are not correct about the model Y sales and availability in the US.
Telsa leaves the June date on the site with the hope the buyer will choose a config already made and destined for a region and/or so they can upsell you something in inventory when the June date is unattainable.

I ordered a Y on 5/15 ; financing approved same day
Still no VIN
I have been waiting over a month
My EDD currently reads 6/29-6/30 on 6/20

Local sales advisor called me this morning with a discount offer for me to switch to something they have on the lot so I can take delivery in June ; he said my June delivery without a VIN yet is not happening.
Advisor told me he had a list of 50 people to call with a similar offer - only a small portion of MA they handle.

This is one story only but even the sales data was up in Q1 in 2024 vs. Q1 in 2023 for the US market.
Q2 definitely seems like the .99% was a big success.

The larger point is true that earlier in the year Tesla forecast the Y to do better that it has ; that does not mean sales have slowed they just have not reached the forecast while at the same time production has improved efficiency, Sales not meeting internal forecast is different than sales tanking or even sales slow in relation to previous years/quarters.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
I’m on the east coast for reference, but you can type in any zip code you want to check
I did before I responded. In Southern California things look much different. Almost every car left in inventory is a demo car. Tesla may be quoting June deliveries on their order page but the Reddit sub is filled with people who ordered early May and still don’t have a VIN. They are being asked to consider a different configuration for an earlier delivery because their color/trim is not available.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
I agree with you on the larger issue and give you credit for being one of the first to have the change in battery theory.
Thank you
I ordered a Y on 5/15 ; financing approved same day
Still no VIN
I have been waiting over a month
My EDD currently reads 6/29-6/30 on 6/20
What's your configuration and where are you located?
The larger point is true that earlier in the year Tesla forecast the Y to do better that it has ; that does not mean sales have slowed they just have not reached the forecast while at the same time production has improved efficiency, Sales not meeting internal forecast is different than sales tanking or even sales slow in relation to previous years/quarters.
Fair enough

What's your configuration and where are you located?
Quick Silver (of course, lol)
MYP
nothing else, black interior, no tow

They have other performance colors available ; Quick Silver is the problem in my case.
Boston, MA

Most of the cases like mine are either Quick Silver, 7 Seater or some combo that is uncommon.
In my area they have decent inventory in the commonly ordered configs. Other regions are much more barren even for the basics / Stealth Greys.
It happened quickly so Telsa has not had a chance to move cars from region to region to solve these issues.

Quick Silver (of course, lol)
MYP
nothing else, black interior, no tow

They have other performance colors available ; Quick Silver is the problem in my case.
Boston, MA

Most of the cases like mine are either Quick Silver, 7 Seater or some combo that is uncommon.
In my area they have decent inventory in the commonly ordered configs. Other regions are much more barren even for the basics / Stealth Greys.
It happened quickly so Telsa has not had a chance to move cars from region to region to solve these issues.
Quicksilver MYP seems to be the most difficult combination to find anywhere in the country right now. Everyone wants the new color.

Quicksilver MYP seems to be the most difficult combination to find anywhere in the country right now. Everyone wants the new color.
Definitely true and I do really prefer it but may give up soon and take another color at a discount.
If I lived in California I think the demand for a different/new color would be even greater just because of the shear number of Y's on the roads every day.

I feel terrible for those that purchased a 24 AWD 3 a few weeks ago with no knowledge the battery would change to get back on topic of the thread.
I debated hard over the YP or a 3P ; ignoring the regular AWD 3 due to the lack of federal credit available at that time.

How much discount are they offering and for what colors?
$2K off for Stealth Grey or Blue which they have and I walked the lot to see them a few days back - same rep I met with then.
Both are fairly new Austin builds and not demos.
Bizarrely he said they can give me the $2K extra I am paying for QuickSilver color as a discount applied to what they have.

Odd way to discount, only going what I was told on the phone not in writing.
Since I have the .99 / 72 month deal ; getting a discount on top of that is definitely atypical.

Have a service appointment in the AM at the same location for my 3 so I will at minimum look at them again.