Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Model 3 LR AWD is now eligible for the $7500 tax credit [posted 06/17/2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$2K off for Stealth Grey or Blue which they have and I walked the lot to see them a few days back - same rep I met with then.
Both are fairly new Austin builds and not demos.
Bizarrely he said they can give me the $2K extra I am paying for QuickSilver color as a discount applied to what they have

Odd way to discount, only going what I was told on the phone not in writing.
Just to clarify, are they just offering to reduce the price by $2K for the grey? I mean the QS upgrade is $2K so the normal price of a gray one would be $2K less anyway. Or are they offering a $2K discount off MSRP for taking a grey car?

Model Y sales were slow in Q1 but with the .99% promotion in March Model Y sales picked up substantially. If you read through the comments both here and on Reddit, the biggest complaint right now from Model Y buyers is the long lead times. Some people are being quoted August deliveries. They still have some inventory but if you want a popular configuration, including anything with QuickSilver, you have a long wait time.
I think we’ll see with the Q2 results that they significantly cut production of the MY to more closely match demand. This is why they have extra Panasonic packs to go into the 3LR.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
Just to clarify, are they just offering to reduce the price by $2K for the grey? I mean the QS upgrade is $2K so the normal price of a gray one would be $2K less anyway. Or are they offering a $2K discount off MSRP for taking a grey car?
Yes, I asked the same question as that would be no deal at all.
But yes he said $2K off MSRP.

Grey has white int and Blue has black int so is a $3000 difference to me vs what I ordered now.

Is it possible that the tax credit on the P model made it so LR models were selling on really low numbers? If there are bitters who would prefer the LR, putting the Panasonic batteries in the LR could make sense as it may simply move many sales from P to LR. So long as they have enough batteries to cover any additional sales they may pick up from the LR sales that go up due to the tax credit. Of course some of the LR sales could cannibalize RWD sales in much the same way.

Is it possible that the tax credit on the P model made it so LR models were selling on really low numbers? If there are bitters who would prefer the LR, putting the Panasonic batteries in the LR could make sense as it may simply move many sales from P to LR. So long as they have enough batteries to cover any additional sales they may pick up from the LR sales that go up due to the tax credit. Of course some of the LR sales could cannibalize RWD sales in much the same way.
Yes, without a doubt. The "waiting room" threads on here show as much. It was an untenable situation for Tesla with the tax credit being only on the P.

If you're buying the RWD you're likely a very price conscious consumer, so you're going with the cheapest model available.

Is it possible that the tax credit on the P model made it so LR models were selling on really low numbers?
For sure, although I strongly doubt that’s the motivation. Tesla would gladly sell all M3Ps if they could as they net $thousands more for each vehicle.

It’s really very simple - Model Y sales have tanked enough that they have extra Panasonic packs now, so they’re putting them in the 3LR. That’s the end of the story.

What is your source that the LG pack is 20kg lighter? I don’t see how that could possibly be - it’s the same number of identically sized 2170 cells in an identical housing.
Panasonic 2170L LR pack is 475kg according to European type certification and 480kg according to EPA test certificate.

LG M50F LR pack is 456kg according to European type certification. EPA stopped listing battery pack weights right about when the LG pack was first used in the states.

• Informative
Reactions: ucmndd
There’s 9 quicksilver MYP available in inventory with a 90060 zip code and all deliverable range.

For whatever reason, there are people waiting for a VIN for that type of order, and i could go buy 9 of them today if I wanted. It’s kind of silly.

But there are a lot of pre-highland M3 at every lot i look at and a lot of Model Y in other colors. They build too many of ones that people aren’t wnanting right now.

There’s 9 quicksilver MYP available in inventory with a 90060 zip code and all deliverable range.

For whatever reason, there are people waiting for a VIN for that type of order, and i could go buy 9 of them today if I wanted. It’s kind of silly.

But there are a lot of pre-highland M3 at every lot i look at and a lot of Model Y in other colors. They build too many of ones that people aren’t wnanting right now.
Very frustrating for me to see.

It seems like they are in this case selling off the Showroom vehicles. 7 of the 9 are listed as Demos with almost zero mileage so not sure what else it could be.
I will add a few days ago there is either o or maybe 1 QS MYP in this zip code so this is brand new for their to be 9.

Smells like a minor refresh like interior LEDs or similar is coming to the Y and they will be getting new showroom cars or something similar (total guess with no evidence)

Unfortunately New England received zero showroom quick silvers and in general very few in the new color have made it this way.

Panasonic 2170L LR pack is 475kg according to European type certification and 480kg according to EPA test certificate.

LG M50F LR pack is 456kg according to European type certification. EPA stopped listing battery pack weights right about when the LG pack was first used in the states.
20kg is a lot. I wonder what the difference is. That's like a 4-5g difference in each cell.

Comparing to 2170C cells, right? I have 2170L cells in my 2021 M3 LR I’m pretty sure. And I don’t think they’ve changed from 2170L cells since 2021, correct?
Right. 2170C seem better. They are slightly lower capacity. The 2170L were allegedly going to be 5% higher capacity. For that increase in capacity, maybe some of the compromises would be worth it, but it did not happen. Instead we get closer to ~2.5% best case possibly with faster capacity loss.

Getting better charging speed is definitely still desirable - not at point of significant diminishing returns quite yet. But instead things go backwards. 4C to 40% would be a nice big improvement! Apparently only Porsche buyers get that.

Model Y sales have tanked enough that they have extra Panasonic packs now, so they’re putting them in the 3LR.

Maybe they have also slightly boosted production of the Panasonic cell (I have no idea). There is a strong incentive for them to make as many as possible.

Maybe there is a basic economic reason this wouldn’t work, haven’t thought about it, but they should lease or sell to customers with too high income both Model Y and Model 3 with ineligible packs. Model Y is higher volume so probably makes sense to simplify and make all Model 3 eligible and then play games balancing the Model Y -I volume and matching those -I to leases or high income individuals.

Everyone wins. Except for the annoying characteristics of the LG pack.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
Maybe they have also slightly boosted production of the Panasonic cell (I have no idea). There is a strong incentive for them to make as many as possible.
Sure, possibly.
Maybe there is a basic economic reason this wouldn’t work, haven’t thought about it, but they should lease or sell to customers with too high income both Model Y and Model 3 with ineligible packs. Model Y is higher volume so probably makes sense to simplify and make all Model 3 eligible and then play games balancing the Model Y -I volume and matching those -I to leases or high income individuals.

Everyone wins. Except for the annoying characteristics of the LG pack.
An interesting hack. Given the mineral sourcing and manufacturing requirements don't apply at ALL to lease vehicles, they should give everyone who leases an LG pack. ;)

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Sure, possibly.

An interesting hack. Given the mineral sourcing and manufacturing requirements don't apply at ALL to lease vehicles, they should give everyone who leases an LG pack. ;)
It makes financial sense for Tesla to do that but it would be a logistical nightmare. Especially since you can change the payment option pretty much up until delivery.

They would have to make it so if you select lease or purchase at order time you cannot change to the other option without cancelling and reordering.

Reactions: ucmndd
I don’t think it will be that big of a problem. They can al;ready differentiate between the ones that qualify and the ones that don’t. If the promotion is on the lease, then if you select lease, you get the promotional program lease. If you switch to financing you go back to current available rate, etc.

If you order an AWD-E, you don;t get a promotional lease rate or financing rate. Should be easily done.

Reactions: mreynolds767