Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Model 3 LR AWD is now eligible for the $7500 tax credit [posted 06/17/2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Older Highlands are not eligible for the Federal rebate. You can clearly see this just by going to their site and checking out available inventory. I can see Highland LRs that aren’t eligible like this one:

And those that are eligible, like this one:

So it is clearly not the case that all Highland LRs are eligible (something about the car itself, not the legal requirements, has changed). If you just took possession of a Highland LR and are eligible for the tax rebate, you got screwed. If you haven’t yet taken possession of one, are eligible, and are about to pick one up, I’d cancel my current order and make sure I got one that is (you’d lose your $250 deposit but gain a $7500 rebate…well worth it).
Yeah, it’s pretty obvious but some refuse to believe it and chalk it up to “Tesla hasn’t updated their website yet” lmao 😂 which obviously makes no sense bc Tesla clearly has updated their website to distinguish between the two

Adding screenshots bc those links will be broken once someone purchases them (but there are countless other examples to find if one wanted to):

IMG_7085.png

IMG_7084.png

Last edited:
Reactions: E90alex and mborkow
The website was updated today, there were no 3's with tax rebate in inventory yesterday, today most of them are. I checked three models that I was looking at yesterday and they still display the same "Lease or business tax credit only". It looks like there is a cutoff date/VIN.

Anybody figured out a way to unhash VIN from the inventory vehicles? Like that 5YJ3204_0dd36b2e6532b73627c2cca053477bd0, 32 character hex, like MD5 or something? I can't find production date in the source code also.

• Funny
Reactions: Jeremy3292
Tesla is legally required to disclose the part content information in the Monroney Label of each car. If there is a difference between early 2024 and late 2024 cars, I would consider this a confirmation. Here is the information for my 2024 Model 3 LR AWD, delivered in May:
  • US/Canada - 35%
  • Mexico - 20%
  • China - 40%
I took delivery of a M3 AWD-E yesterday. Called out in the app as eligibile for tax credit.
Parts content are 75% USA/Canada and 20% Mexico.
Manufactured date was this month and the one sitting next to it on the lot was born on 6/10/24, so barely a week old.
There are others that still show not eligible, especially if you look at black interior. I think they are putting most of the current white interiors on the AWD-E since they know they can get 8500 more for it now with the rebate.

IF I were still at the showroom, i would bee looking at the long range cars and see if there was AWD-E and AWD monroneys on them and i bet it matches with the credit eligibility.

To be fair, it is a little hard to believe that tesla could just flick a switch and have a new battery pack in a shipping car and have all the ducks lined in row for it to be ready on a government website without a single person getting wind of it.
So i was skeptical too, but am i little bit more excited to have a Panasonic pack, if only because it is more US content and that’s generally a good thing for folks.

But it seems that the differentiator on the monroney is the AWD-E label for the car. But i would want to see a LG pack car to see if it said AWD only.

I would have posted sooner but I didn’t;t think find this thread until today. I had been hanging out in the M3P waiting room but decided to go LR AWD after the rebate came into play. It’s a better fit for me though part of me does want that harder acceleration, but it is plenty fast for me in AWD trim. Sorry, AWD-E trim.

Reactions: Thysanopter
I assumed it was all wheeel drive - electric which is what some other automakers are using these days, but i suppose it really could be literally eligible.
Yeah it is Eligible or something similar since this is new and related to pack capacity and type.

They technically could but have no reason to do so.
Yes, seems only negative for them; they want all vehicles to be eligible. But could be optimal depending on demand. Seems unlikely though, even though they have built the vehicle and tested it.

To be fair, it is a little hard to believe that tesla could just flick a switch and have a new battery pack in a shipping car and have all the ducks lined in row for it to be ready on a government website without a single person getting wind of it.
That's impressive, although looking back the writing was on the wall. I was set to get Model Y when they were giving them practically away two months ago, clearly they overestimated demand for Y, which freed Panasonic batteries to be used in 3. My wife didn't like the Y, like at all, but she loved the Highland.

What can you do, I needed a second car back then, missed the tax credit for the second time - first time regulations changed while I was waiting for delivery after ordering making it ineligible. This will be the last year in which I could qualify for it anyway, my 2024 AGI will put me outside, could have still used the 2023, so it stings a little but it's not the end of the world for me, lol.

Enjoy your new car, it's really a great, mature product!

I’m starting to think that Tesla has gone out of their way to be silent on what specifically changed about the LR to allow it to qualify for the tax credit, likely because if it got out that the new models have Panasonic batteries in them nobody would want to buy the remaining inventory of LG equipped vehicles. But they can only hide it so long now that there is a disclaimer on those vehicles that they don’t qualify for the credit on a purchase.

-E Eligible
-I Ineligible

Wonder when they will start selling the ineligible Model Y? Plot twist! They are all ready for it.
In the EPA Docs it says LR AWD and LR AWD-E weigh the same, but this may also be an error, as the Panasonic should be 20kg heavier.

It also lists all cars, even Performance as 230A, which cant be correct, as LG is 230Ah and Panasonic is 235-236Ah.

This is a bit confusing...

In the EPA Docs it says LR AWD and LR AWD-E weigh the same, but this may also be an error, as the Panasonic should be 20kg heavier.

It also lists all cars, even Performance as 230A, which cant be correct, as LG is 230Ah and Panasonic is 235-236Ah.

This is a bit confusing...
So are we thinking the AWD-E is the LR variant that qualifies for the tax credit?