Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Model 3 LR AWD is now eligible for the $7500 tax credit [posted 06/17/2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It makes financial sense for Tesla to do that but it would be a logistical nightmare. Especially since you can change the payment option pretty much up until delivery.

They would have to make it so if you select lease or purchase at order time you cannot change to the other option without cancelling and reordering.
For sure. Also appears to be unnecessary for now as they have enough Panasonic cells to meet all US Long Range and Performance demand at the moment.

This does make the 3 RWD rather unappealing from a value perspective... wouldn't surprise me if they went back to a Panasonic SR+ style pack in the not too distant future... of course that might stimulate demand enough that they don't have enough cells again. Quite the balancing act.

For sure. Also appears to be unnecessary for now as they have enough Panasonic cells to meet all US Long Range and Performance demand at the moment.

This does make the 3 RWD rather unappealing from a value perspective... wouldn't surprise me if they went back to a Panasonic SR+ style pack in the not too distant future... of course that might stimulate demand enough that they don't have enough cells again. Quite the balancing act.
A tax credit eligible 3 RWD would be an amazing value proposition. But the market is moving further and further away from sedans in general so it would only attract those that are purely focused on buying the lowest cost Tesla. I don’t think Tesla necessarily wants to focus on catering to the low profit margin configurations.

We suspect Y demand has softened to provide more Panasonic cells but it could also very well be the new 3 is seeing far less demand as expected, other than from the Tesla faithful that just needs to have the new thing. Either from a softening sedan market in general, not being tax credit eligible, and/or highland 3 changes are not appealing to the general public (eg no stalks).

Reactions: ucmndd
Or even just make an LR RWD like the Y. They could bump the msrp up by 4k and still end up considerably below the old price after the tax credit.

Reactions: E90alex and ucmndd
We suspect Y demand has softened to provide more Panasonic cells but it could also very well be the new 3 is seeing far less demand as expected, other than from the Tesla faithful that just needs to have the new thing. Either from a softening sedan market in general, not being tax credit eligible, and/or highland 3 changes are not appealing to the general public (eg no stalks).
Probably a combo of both

Reactions: E90alex and ucmndd
I just talked to my “sales guy” today about my battery questions. We have been talking for sometime. He is quite reliable. He told me he has confirmed the model 3 LR received a different battery to qualify for the tax credits. He said they have earlier vehicles in inventory that do not qualify for the tax credit. So, they are materially different. The new battery is allowed under the reinterpreted rules and is by LG sourced from Korea.

He did not know the chemistry or other details.

I believe everything he told you except for the sourcing for the new battery. The monroney stickers for the new qualifying cars do not list South Korea as a source of content and the previous version does.
The new data has 7x% of the content coming from the US.
It is a few pages back in this thread.
Korea was never a source of the batteries. They were sourced from the LG Chem factory in China next to Giga Shanghai.

I put my thinking cap back on and believe he said sourced from LG and I heard Korea.

I want to buy a 3LR and was waiting for the tax credit to return, but was put off due to concerns about the pre tax credit battery having a slow charging rate.

Anyone know if the battery change fixed that concern?

Anyone know if the battery change fixed that concern?
Again: the ONLY Tesla 3/Y battery eligible for the tax credit is the US-built Panasonic 2170 NCA pack sourced from gigafactory Nevada. It is not made by LG, it does not come from China or Korea or anywhere else. Your “sales guy” is wrong. This is the same 250kw capable pack as a 3P or Long Range / Performance Model Y and will charge exactly the same as those models do.

Further confirmation in the photo below. Should I tag the naysayers from the early parts of this thread who have disappeared or would that be too petty? I mean I did tell them to check back in…🤣

IMG_7100.jpeg

Not a screen. A “dealership” spec sheet/delivery sheet
Interesting. I asked my sales rep that question and he didn’t have a clue how to look it up. Good find.

On another note, I’m seeing a bunch of Model Y’s in inventory that no longer qualify for the tax credit (other than a lease). So did they take the batteries they were previously using on the LR M3 and put them into a bunch of Model Y’s? I’m assuming they had enough customers who were leasing the Model Y’s to justify making the switch since they can steer those units to lease customers.

Interesting. I asked my sales rep that question and he didn’t have a clue how to look it up. Good find.

On another note, I’m seeing a bunch of Model Y’s in inventory that no longer qualify for the tax credit (other than a lease). So did they take the batteries they were previously using on the LR M3 and put them into a bunch of Model Y’s? I’m assuming they had enough customers who were leasing the Model Y’s to justify making the switch since they can steer those units to lease customers.
Did you check the model year? Tesla still has 2023 Ys in inventory for sale. I’m not as familiar with the Model Y’s bc they’ve changed so many trim options over the past year. They had a 4680 Y at one point and an LFP Y at one point too. Now they are all the same Panasonic 2170 cells from Nevada (at least as of today).

Did you check the model year? Tesla still has 2023 Ys in inventory for sale. I’m not as familiar with the Model Y’s bc they’ve changed so many trim options over the past year. They had a 4680 Y at one point and an LFP Y at one point too.
These are brand new 2024 Model Y’s that showed up right around the same time the Panasonic M3 LR was announced.

These are brand new 2024 Model Y’s that showed up right around the same time the Panasonic M3 LR was announced.

As I indicated up thread, this is not surprising since they tested the vehicle that way. AWD-I

I am assuming the -I stands for ineligible.

Just have to find a Monroney for the vehicle. Apparently the AWD-E was indicated so presumably AWD-I is as well. For some reason people don’t like post decent pictures of things though. So no idea.