Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Model 3 Performance Announced - Discussion thread post announcement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read Tesla tends to low-ball trade-ins. I'm sooo tempted. Besides the performance and handling, a welcomed upgrade would be the computer itself. Browsing on my 2020 reminds me of a 56k modem.
They absolutely lowball trade-ins, but so does everyone else. Carvana, Carmax, Tesla, normal car dealerships, etc. they all offer $10k under the real market value of the car.

Every. Time.

They absolutely lowball trade-ins, but so does everyone else. Carvana, Carmax, Tesla, normal car dealerships, etc. they all offer $10k under the real market value of the car.

Every. Time.

For what it's worth, I just sold my 21 BMW m340i for 42k to local BMW dealer in anticipation of this release, and they offered me 2-3k more than CarMax and carvana, and 6k more than Tesla. And KBB had it valued at 45-48k for private sale. I actually purchased it pre-owned for 48k before taxes last year from BMW. Sometimes the market can be hit or miss, but I feel pretty fortunate on what I was able to sell it for after only a year.

Every. Time.
When I traded in my Kia last summer, Tesla was the high offer over Carvana, Carmax, and Vroom. It absolutely shocked me because everyone had warned me that Tesla in particular is terrible. I thought for sure they'd 'adjust' the trade value before my purchase was settled, but it held.

So when I trade in my current M3RWD this summer, I am FULLY expecting them to lowball. I was just glad I had one good trade with them at least! :) Definitely worth checking around, only costs a bit of time.

I think the depreciation curve on the new 3P will be much flatter as it's really good value in my opinion. The cars with the worst drops were bought at the peak of the market which had unrealistically high prices.

It's like people who bought stocks at the height of covid and then wondering why they lost so much money.
Sorry but all new Tesla’s are depreciation machines. This is especially true if you buy one at msrp with no tax credit. The newest m3p will be no exception, even with the tax credit. The car is fast but it will also depreciate fast. Especially with Tesla’s absurd and bizarre pricing practices.

• Funny
Reactions: Jeremy3292
Sorry but all new Tesla’s are depreciation machines. This is especially true if you buy one at msrp with no tax credit. The newest m3p will be no exception, even with the tax credit. The car is fast but it will also depreciate fast. Especially with Tesla’s absurd and bizarre pricing practices.
Not really. Bought my 2021 M3LR for $50k brand new in Sept 2021. Carmax next to my house has an almost identical one with similar mileage for sale for $31k. $19k depr over 3 years isn’t excessive at all actually. In fact I think that’s pretty dang good tbh.

Just don’t make bad financial decisions, e.g. buying during pandemic pricing, and you will be fine. Everyone knew at the time the pricing was outrageous bc supply prices (lithium) were outrageous.

This idea that Tesla’s are depreciation pits is bc people made bad financial decisions. What about all those people that bought RAV4s for $50k instead of their $30k normal price? Same issue.

Last winter I asked Tesla for a price as a trade in on the Y just for an idea of how little they would give me as I had a previous experience and was not expecting much at all. Turns out I have FSD which they give you 0 for and also AB which is worth 0. Bottom line is the car was a hair over 3 years old, paid around 85,000 cad and they offered me 25,000. Going rates were around 45,000-50 every where I looked without FSD or AB. When Juniper comes out either I will sell it locally or hang on to it for a family member.

When I bought the MS I asked to trade in my Mercedes 43 AMG which I had paid 90,000, they offered $25,000. Sold it privately for 53,000.

Maybe this is only in Canada but I would call it lowball on lowball. The Merc was a company car so I bought it for what they offered me as proof of value, made 28,000 when I sold it a year later.

• Funny
Reactions: primedive and Sam1
Not really. Bought my 2021 M3LR for $50k brand new in Sept 2021. Carmax next to my house has an almost identical one with similar mileage for sale for $31k. $19k depr over 3 years isn’t excessive at all actually. In fact I think that’s pretty dang good tbh.

Just don’t make bad financial decisions, e.g. buying during pandemic pricing, and you will be fine. Everyone knew at the time the pricing was outrageous bc supply prices (lithium) were outrageous.

This idea that Tesla’s are depreciation pits is bc people made bad financial decisions. What about all those people that bought RAV4s for $50k instead of their $30k normal price? Same issue.
Most of your statements aren’t accurate. The typical car buyer in the USA doesn’t see a 19 k loss on a 50 k car as low depreciation. Ask a Camry buyer how much depreciation they take on a 3 year old car. It would be similar to an accord. Tesla’s are depreciation machines period. The model s is just unbelievable at this point. You can get a 2018 p100d for 31,999. Now that the market is back to reality most of those examples you have don’t apply. The new and nice Camry is 35,000 for an upgraded se. You think this would take even 10k depreciation in 3 years it won’t. Most Tesla cars have lost 1/2 to 3/4 of their value in 4 years. I just saw a 2020 s performance ludicrous sell for 39k w 49k miles. That’s about 70% in 4 years

Most of your statements aren’t accurate. The typical car buyer in the USA doesn’t see a 19 k loss on a 50 k car as low depreciation. Ask a Camry buyer how much depreciation they take on a 3 year old car. It would be similar to an accord. Tesla’s are depreciation machines period. The model s is just unbelievable at this point. You can get a 2018 p100d for 31,999. Now that the market is back to reality most of those examples you have don’t apply. The new and nice Camry is 35,000 for an upgraded se. You think this would take even 10k depreciation in 3 years it won’t. Most Tesla cars have lost 1/2 to 3/4 of their value in 4 years. I just saw a 2020 s performance ludicrous sell for 39k w 49k miles. That’s about 70% in 4 years
Where is this Model S Luda for 39K? I want to check it out.

Has anyone seen an M3P at a Tesla sales gallery yet? I heard they may have on display somewhere in Los Angeles. Where else have they shown up?
There's a YT video published by DennisCW yesterday and he lists all the Tesla stores that have it on display in their showroom. I know there are four in CA, and the rest were spread through out the central and east coast.