Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Model 3 Performance Announced - Discussion thread post announcement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great car at a great price/benefit ratio. Would have definitely ordered it if I were in the market right now. Meanwhile, I am patiently waiting for Tesla to drop the current price ($2K) on the acceleration boost for the M3LR so that my 0-60 becomes 3.7s :)

Reactions: arkhos
IMG_9464.jpeg

Reactions: juliusb
As for the badge, I think they'll launch a software upgrade for Ludacris sometime at the end of this year? That's just my guess, but as it stands, there's no way the new 3P is deserving of that badge. It just doesn't make sense. I had mentioned in the older thread that it's like if BMW came out with a regular 3 series and slapped a M badge on there. Doesn't make sense right?
Regarding the badge, I believe in one of the YT vids I saw, they mentioned it's not a Plaid badge. It's not Ludacris, but some new marketing term (don't remember it, would have to go back and watch that vid again).
So if it's a new version, and the badge is new to represent that, I don't think you can say it doesn't deserve the badge.

Regarding the badge, I believe in one of the YT vids I saw, they mentioned it's not a Plaid badge. It's not Ludacris, but some new marketing term (don't remember it, would have to go back and watch that vid again).
So if it's a new version, and the badge is new to represent that, I don't think you can say it doesn't deserve the badge.
I really don’t understand how so many people don’t see right through this. It’s 100% obvious that it’s a ludicrous badge, indicating that ludicrous mode is coming.

They don’t want to say that out loud because some will choose to wait until ludicrous mode is available before they will purchase. So they hold it back, sell as many cars as possible to those who are excited about the car and either don’t care or see right through this, and then later on when ludicrous mode is released you get automatic free advertising from all over the place and there’s another great quarter waiting for them to pull that trigger whenever they feel like they need it.

I really don’t understand how so many people don’t see right through this. It’s 100% obvious that it’s a ludicrous badge, indicating that ludicrous mode is coming.

They don’t want to say that out loud because some will choose to wait until ludicrous mode is available before they will purchase. So they hold it back, sell as many cars as possible to those who are excited about the car and either don’t care or see right through this, and then later on when ludicrous mode is released you get automatic free advertising from all over the place and there’s another great quarter waiting for them to pull that trigger whenever they feel like they need it.
If it’s just a software update, though, you could buy the car now and then add the software update later. It would just depend on whether it would be cheaper to do the update or cheaper to wait and buy it already on it or they can make it exactly the same cost.

Reactions: Sellout
If it’s just a software update, though, you could buy the car now and then add the software update later. It would just depend on whether it would be cheaper to do the update or cheaper to wait and buy it already on it or they can make it exactly the same cost.
Absolutely.

I think the ultimate reason to do this is the additional publicity; they probably end up selling more cars by leaving that little bit of mystery out there to drive discussion and then a bump when the discussion goes nuts later on as we realize we had the right idea in the first place and so many people start talking about how they could have had it sooner but they over-thought and blah blah blah…

But don't those 2 things (EU being limited by battery & Ludacris performance update via OTA) contradict each other?
Or are you suggesting the US Version has enough reserves for this OTA Luda upgrade and the EU version is stuck at current performance?
That would be a bad look enabling an OTA just for the US buyers

Issue: can’t make enough Panasonic batteries at Nevada (USA).

Business decision: use most of them in Model Y (tax credit) as it is the best seller.

Result: M3P differences between regions. Model Y demand tanks, too many Model Y available for sale.

I am confused as to why they can’t just manufacture a battery with the same performance in China/Germany though. Is Nevada manufacturing really that much more advanced?

@eivissa

Last edited:
Reactions: juliusb
Just like all Tesla's, this one is not fully baked, but good enough at launch. That's the reason no 0-60 or 1/4 mile testing. It's going to get better. CyberTruck is still waiting on too many OTA updates to critical features. I am going to check it out today as my local store has one.
I expect:
Track Mode V3 will get more features including Launch/drag mode.
They will be able to tweak the suspension for even better comfort/handling.
No or very little extra power.
No or very little extra cooling vs previous M3P.

Best performance per dollar sedan by a huge margin.

Just like all Tesla's, this one is not fully baked, but good enough at launch. That's the reason no 0-60 or 1/4 mile testing. It's going to get better. CyberTruck is still waiting on too many OTA updates to critical features. I am going to check it out today as my local store has one.
I expect:
Track Mode V3 will get more features including Launch/drag mode.
They will be able to tweak the suspension for even better comfort/handling.
No or very little extra power.
No or very little extra cooling vs previous M3P.

Best performance per dollar sedan by a huge margin.
This seems pretty much right to me.

Absolutely.

I think the ultimate reason to do this is the additional publicity; they probably end up selling more cars by leaving that little bit of mystery out there to drive discussion and then a bump when the discussion goes nuts later on as we realize we had the right idea in the first place and so many people start talking about how they could have had it sooner but they over-thought and blah blah blah…
Another reason is that "proper" Ludicrous might cost $10k more. So you sell it now, offer a $10-$12k upgrade later when you sell the activated Ludicrous new.

For buyers, it's worth the "early access" and (for some) the tax credit.

It's not Ludacris. It's Ludicrous. You can't reference Space Balls every time you talk about Insane+ and then suddenly claim the images aren't what they are.
I reference Spaceballs every chance I get! 😆 My favorite movie of all time! (maybe tied w/Deadpool now)
There is no Insane speed in Spaceballs. (Light-Ridiculous-Ludicrous)

Ludicrous - Sorry, I got my rappers and adjectives mixed up.

I was just saying, the only badge Tesla had before this one was for Plaid.
This one is similar but not identical. So the badge is new in that sense. It can represent whatever they want it to.

I do like how they've carried it into the new seats as well. It's a nice touch.

Reactions: cptnslo
Does this one have gear stalks?

That was my only deal breaker when we test drove the highland refresh. Everything about the car was quieter and more comfortable, and the interior lighting was a really pleasant experience.

Only big negative was three-point turns felt awful with the screen gear selector. Can’t believe lack of a gear stalk had such a big impact on wanting to buy a refresh.