Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Model 3 Performance Announced - Discussion thread post announcement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any "smart" way to work around the tax credit if you are not eligible for it? e.g., have a friend who qualifies buys it and gift it to you, and you reimburse it? Or wait till used car hit the lot and buy those since the credit should be baked in those prices.

I posted this in the speculation thread, but i'm hoping someone else can confirm as well. I thought I recall reading somewhere that the adaptive suspension was only in the rear for this car? Or is it on all four corners?

I may be mixing up my information when I was cross-shopping other cars, like the i4 m50 that only has adaptive suspension in the rear.

I posted this in the speculation thread, but i'm hoping someone else can confirm as well. I thought I recall reading somewhere that the adaptive suspension was only in the rear for this car? Or is it on all four corners?

I may be mixing up my information when I was cross-shopping other cars, like the i4 m50 that only has adaptive suspension in the rear.

The i4 has rear AIR suspension...sometimes you see that on cars for purposes of being able to raise/lower the rear for cargo access purposes, but even the i4 has adaptive suspension on all 4 corners. No car from what i've seen has only 2-corner adaptive suspension.

The M3P does not have Air suspension. Just traditional adaptive suspension on all 4 corners.

The i4 has rear AIR suspension...sometimes you see that on cars for purposes of being able to raise/lower the rear for cargo access purposes, but even the i4 has adaptive suspension on all 4 corners. No car from what i've seen has only 2-corner adaptive suspension.

The M3P does not have Air suspension. Just traditional adaptive suspension on all 4 corners.
wow, I had it all wrong this whole time with regard to the i4. Thank you for that clarification!

0-60 MPH in 2.9s is not the same as 0-100 km/hr (62.1 MPH) in 3.1s.
At 2.9s 0-60, you're accelerating by 1 MPH every 0.04833 seconds.
At 3.1s 0-62.1, you're accelerating by 1 MPH every 0.04992 seconds, roughly 3.28% slower, which seems to match up with the LG vs Panasonic battery differences.

Extrapolate that through the entire quarter mile: If the Panasonic-equipped car traps 125* MPH, the LG-equipped car would trap 120.9 MPH. (125 x 0.9672 = 120.9)

* I have no proof of a 125 MPH trap speed, just used that number as an example. And I know the acceleration isn't linear, but the numbers do illustrate what a 3.28% difference can make when all other things are equal.
Gross assumption here is 3.1 isn’t simply a rounded up number from 3.06. Maybe easier to simply state 3.1 rounded for advertising 🤷🏽‍♂️

100kph is 62.1371 mph.
3.1 is thus 0-62.1371 mph
Thus, 0-60 is 96.56067 % and should translate to 2.99338.

If we assume a 0-100kph as 3.051 (rounds up to 3.1), 0-60 would now be 2.946 (rounds down to 2.9).

Alot of ways to manipulate this marketing wise. Everything above is just conjecture but could also be a simple explanation.
Round up, round down. 🤷🏽‍♂️

I’m assuming they want to make the mph figure more attractive as sub 3 sec Perf is what sells. So the 0-100 may very well be rounded.

Reactions: Sellout and cptnslo
I have a Dragy. The best I was able to get on my 23’ M3P was 3.46 to 60 and 11.88 in the 1/4. Although, I didn’t do it often lol. So maybe 3.2 secs? Sounds like the mid range has improved on the new model.

Last edited:
3.23 is typically what you can achieve for a true 0-60 mph with the old car. That is ~3.03 for 0-60 mph with 1 foot rollout subtracted.

The new car is said to do 2.90 for 0-60 mph but it isn’t clear if it can actually do that without subtracting rollout. There are some indications that it is WAY quicker than what Tesla stated.

3.23 is typically what you can achieve for a true 0-60 mph with the old car. That is ~3.03 for 0-60 mph with 1 foot rollout subtracted.

The new car is said to do 2.90 for 0-60 mph but it isn’t clear if it can actually do that without subtracting rollout. There are some indications that it is WAY quicker than what Tesla stated.

it's 2.9 WITH rollout. Cammisa's IG post he says 3.04 with 2 people on board and 88% SOC. Since he says 2.9 in the video, and 3.04 in the IG post, i imagine he's using rollout time in the former, and no rollout in the latter

Tesla proudly trumpets 9.23s @155mph quarter mile times for the Model S Plaid.

There's a reason they're being silent about the new M3P's quarter-mile times and it has to be one of two things. Either the M3P is too good for roughly half the price of a Model S Plaid and would cannibalize its sales even more, or it's an underwhelming, mid 11-sec range. (To think we live in a time when mid-11-second quarter mile would be considered underwhelming.)
I'm going to guess 11.1
~0.5s quicker than before

I think they only flaunted the Plaids numbers because it was ridiculous

Reactions: jose3030 and selby
it's 2.9 WITH rollout. Cammisa's IG post he says 3.04 with 2 people on board and 88% SOC. Since he says 2.9 in the video, and 3.04 in the IG post, i imagine he's using rollout time in the former, and no rollout in the latter

3.04 without rollout would be ~3.84 with rollout. However, he said he was averaging the times in some of his statements. It is hard to know exactly what the numbers are without seeing the actual Dragy results.

It does sound like 2.90 is entirely possible with rollout subtracted though. In all likelihood it is quicker especially with a single lighter person in the car.

lol, deception? This is massively hyperbolic. None of the reviews have any performance testing metrics (because they were almost certainly prohibited from instrumented tests). How can you deceive someone when you aren't publishing specs yet?
By saying arguments like: "this new Model 3 performance has a very strong pull above 60-70mph, unlike the older version". Such assertions could be said mainly because of that extra 50hp that the USA version has.

It definitely doesn’t make sense, but they’ve been doing it for the MS Plaid for awhile now. Pretty annoying IMO. I’m in SC and can’t run summer tires year end. Per my Googling it is extremely dangerous under 40F and shouldn’t be done at all.
Yeah I had a Mustang that I put summers on for the warmer months and winters on for the colder ones. I found that once you got around freezing it could be an adventure taking a turn. If I were to buy this car, I'd probably get some all seasons that are performance based and sell the summers.

Reactions: Jeremy3292