Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed an order on Nov.10th,'23 . Speaking to my assigned sales manager I told him I will not accept it unless it's delivered after Jan.1st '24. I'm not after the year of it but more for IRS Energy Credits where $7,500.00 can be left with the dealer to lower the purchase price instead of the previous tax credit where there's a cap on income.
@Inci Willard
You may already know this but it's not definite that Tesla will qualify for the entire $7500. It could only be $3750 or nothing. Also, I'm fairly certain the Personal Income Cap, still applies. Hope the following is helpful to you:

For vehicles placed in service April 18, 2023 and after:​

• $3,750 if the vehicle meets the critical minerals requirement only
  • $3,750 if the vehicle meets the battery components requirement only
  • $7,500 if the vehicle meets both
A vehicle that doesn't meet either requirement will not be eligible for a credit.

Who qualifies​

You may qualify for a credit up to $7,500 under Internal Revenue Code Section 30D if you buy a new, qualified plug-in EV or fuel cell electric vehicle (FCV). The Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 changed the rules for this credit for vehicles purchased from 2023 to 2032.

The credit is available to individuals and their businesses.

To qualify, you must:

• Buy it for your own use, not for resale
  • Use it primarily in the U.S.
In addition, your modified adjusted gross income (AGI) may not exceed:

• $300,000 for married couples filing jointly
  • $225,000 for heads of households
  • $150,000 for all other filers

I placed an order on Nov.10th,'23 . Speaking to my assigned sales manager I told him I will not accept it unless it's delivered after Jan.1st '24. I'm not after the year of it but more for IRS Energy Credits where $7,500.00 can be left with the dealer to lower the purchase price instead of the previous tax credit where there's a cap on income.
Saxman gave you a good answer. I was going to simply say what you thought is not correct.

Reactions: Saxman
Just to reinforce what Saxman mentioned, the income cap still applies, here a snip off the IRS guide for 2024
1700268494678.png

Reactions: Inci Willard
Guys, life’s too short to fret this whole model year VIN thing.

How you take care of your car and the mileage you put on it will matter much more. The difference in a late 23 and early 24 car is a tiny percentage of the value of the car.
Only after more than 5 years. If in the next year or two when you trade it in or sell it, the value will be 10 to 15% more for a 2024 than a 2023. Unless you need a car now, it is better to wait for a 2024 VIN.

Thank you! I've asked our accountant and it was updated on October with a cap on income. Still getting it with an updated delivery Jan.21st /March 17th.
@Inci Willard @ Daniel L
What is unclear to me is how in 2024 it works for Time of Sale credit confirmed. From the above attachment it seems that Dealer & Feds have to QUALIFY that buyer meets all requirements BEFORE vehicle delivery. Knowing how slow the government works, how far in advance will the vetting process take.

@Inci Willard @ Daniel L
What is unclear to me is how in 2024 it works for Time of Sale credit confirmed. From the above attachment it seems that Dealer & Feds have to QUALIFY that buyer meets all requirements BEFORE vehicle delivery. Knowing how slow the government works, how far in advance will the vetting process take.
The dealer doesn’t have to prove anything. Everyone gets $7500. If you exceed the income limit, then at tax time you owe the $7500 back. There is no minimum federal income tax anymore to qualify as it isn’t a tax credit but an outright gift from the federal government.

• Informative
@Inci Willard @ Daniel L
my guess is they (the IRS) will "take back" (not literally, but via taxes) the money if you don't qualify due to AGI cap (like you accidentally went over AGI cap due to investment income etc) or on the other end, you don't have $7,500 in tax liability...so your accountant will have you pay more taxes in 2024.

• Informative