Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22% depreciation in 8 months [Update: sold it for 5.4% less than new price]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, this is one of my pet peeves. I have turned off NoA to avoid the near constant nags that are sometimes presented. The other day I counted 12 nags the car gave me for no apparent reason at a particular point in the road. Clearly the data base is messed up, but how to report the problems? There is no way.

I also see the car suddenly slow or brake and that's not always an overpass. Again there seem to be mapping features that make the car slow it's speed. Sometimes the car drops the cruise speed, other times it's just the car slowing and I have to hit the throttle. What is the point of a cruise control if it arbitrarily drops the speed for no good reason?

I can use the auto pilot on roads other than highways. That has worked for a year or more.

Auto Pilot is a drivers assist feature. All FSD or Full Self Driving features have not yet been released and even once they are you will still be required to keep your hands on the wheel and will be responsible for the vehicle until regulators approve FSD. That may take a year or two or more after full FSD is released. Until then keep your hands on the wheel. If you do not understand that you should not be using Auto Pilot.

Reactions: JBT66
Auto Pilot is a drivers assist feature. All FSD or Full Self Driving features have not yet been released and even once they are you will still be required to keep your hands on the wheel and will be responsible for the vehicle until regulators approve FSD. That may take a year or two or more after full FSD is released. Until then keep your hands on the wheel. If you do not understand that you should not be using Auto Pilot.
I think most people knows how AP and navigate on AP works now. No matter how many hands you have on the wheel the ghost breaking while doing 110km/h is a PITA, and it's not good for traffic flow or passenger comfort. The nagging about changing lanes, slowing down for no apparent reason, it's annoying. That's just TACC and autosteer, something my 3 year old Ioniq did quite a lot better than the _CURRENT_ state of AP.

Sidenote: when I say FSD I'm talking about the feature, not actual fully self-driving. We're still decades away from actual FSD so I'm referring to the current FSD package content.

Owners have two options. They can focus on the good points of autopilot. How is is a great cruise control, handles things well in stop and go traffic jams and out on long stretches of boring highway. It takes a lot of the micro adjustments off the driver and can give a relaxing drive when in middle lanes of long highways.

Or you can focus on the requirements (nags) to hold onto the steering wheel, because the government is now requiring that after posts of drivers reading in the back seat :(. They can freek out when unintended braking occures, or a car gets woogie in challenging circumstances.

Autopilot is still the best available driver assist, but has issues of its own.

The choice is pretty much up to each driver.

• Love
Reactions: JBT66 and Sherlo
Now you're making me sad :(

I just ordered the taptes seat covers, they seem really good. I'm negotiation with someone who's looking to buy, they're offering what would be a 13.5% loss. If I get it up to 11% like you I'll sell it and keep the P3D+ I've ordered. If not I'll try the seat covers and pray to heavens that the next service appointment will fix the connection issues. The seat covers looked pretty good in the pictures, and even more effective than ceramic coating the stock interior.

I bet he didn’t have FSD. You get nailed if you have FSD and trade into Tesla. That’s 10% right there. Selling private will value the FSD.

Reactions: Marius A
One way to reduce phantom braking. Set the Speed Limit offset to -20mph (most negative number). This defeats some of the speed limit adjustments (including bogus ones). It does not eliminate all of them but it gets rid of a lot. Disadvantage of doing this is when you engage TACC it won’t use the current speed limit but will use your current speed. Just drove 300 miles on AP, not one phantom brake. It does get a little paranoid on cars jockeying in front or a car that it thinks might encroach your lane. Sometimes it’s right.

I never use NoA or Summon or Advanced Summon or Auto Homelink.

New HW3 I think is already improving things. And will get better.

You need to compare another Model 3 in the same location with no WiFi. Could be the LTE service they use sucks in your area. A new Model 3 wont fix that.

Reactions: Kenz and Marius A
One way to reduce phantom braking. Set the Speed Limit offset to -20mph (most negative number). This defeats some of the speed limit adjustments (including bogus ones). It does not eliminate all of them but it gets rid of a lot. Disadvantage of doing this is when you engage TACC it won’t use the current speed limit but will use your current speed. Just drove 300 miles on AP, not one phantom brake. It does get a little paranoid on cars jockeying in front or a car that it thinks might encroach your lane. Sometimes it’s right.

I never use NoA or Summon or Advanced Summon or Auto Homelink.

New HW3 I think is already improving things. And will get better.

You need to compare another Model 3 in the same location with no WiFi. Could be the LTE service they use sucks in your area. A new Model 3 wont fix that.
I'm next to a a bunch of Tesla's, one of them is a TM3 my colleague owns, he has 0 issues. My other colleagues with TMS and TMX have no issue either.
It also happens in the middle of Oslo (capital of Norway), outside home, and other areas where there's excellent reception. The service center asked for dates (again), I provided them with over 20 timestamps on different dates, as well as three photos and two videos. We'll see what happens Dec 5th.

Nice too about the offset, I'll try that. I'm actually annoyed by the current behaviour of going directly to the speed limit, so this would solve 2 issues for me.

Regarding HW3. My colleague has a HW3 car, it is considerably better in AP than mine, so you are probably right about that.

1) it is entirely possible that there is something in the black dye that is causing your contact dermatitis (and you have no way of knowing if they use a different dye if you try another car with black seats so trying that is just likely to lead to frustration). Trying the seat covers seems like a great idea.
2) Have they tried entirely disconnecting the 12v battery to reset the whole system? This seems less likely than the suggestions about the modem/antena but it did solve a weird problem I had with my phone and the mcu albeit one that occurred after it had been working well but then stopped.

Reactions: Marius A
1) it is entirely possible that there is something in the black dye that is causing your contact dermatitis (and you have no way of knowing if they use a different dye if you try another car with black seats so trying that is just likely to lead to frustration). Trying the seat covers seems like a great idea.
2) Have they tried entirely disconnecting the 12v battery to reset the whole system? This seems less likely than the suggestions about the modem/antena but it did solve a weird problem I had with my phone and the mcu albeit one that occurred after it had been working well but then stopped.
I'll ask them to do that at the next service appointment. I don't have a garage and it's -5 at daytime now, so I'm not doing anything outside (eczema + cold weather isn't a winner).

Owners have two options. They can focus on the good points of autopilot. How is is a great cruise control, handles things well in stop and go traffic jams and out on long stretches of boring highway. It takes a lot of the micro adjustments off the driver and can give a relaxing drive when in middle lanes of long highways.

Or you can focus on the requirements (nags) to hold onto the steering wheel, because the government is now requiring that after posts of drivers reading in the back seat :(. They can freek out when unintended braking occures, or a car gets woogie in challenging circumstances.

Autopilot is still the best available driver assist, but has issues of its own.

The choice is pretty much up to each driver.
That simply isn't true. Hyundai had a better driver assist years ago, and they're not exactly at the forefront of technological wonders. In stop and go traffic you're leaving too big gaps so people are constantly pulling in in front of you. The emergency breaking for nothing apparent makes it unreliable and in some situations dangerous.
If you think AP is a good driver's assist you should really try one of the German ones.

What's good about the AP is that it gets better, and your 9 year old TMS will get the same quality as a brand new one. That's something no other car maker can currently compete with.
At least until next year, I heard that Polestar2 has licensed Tesla's AP [/rumours]

Some of you might have noticed my distraught 6 year old thread. Well here's the flip side.
Put my 8 month old, 11700km black/black LR AWD tm3 for sale privately. I just sold it with a 5.4% deficit.
Now I just have to wait for my TM3P+ to arrive, and patience is also something that hasn't evolved in me since I was 6yo

[Moderator note: this was the start of a separate thread by the OP, it has been merged with his existing thread about his car]

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont understand the used market dynamics here. So you basically got the cheapest 8 month rental. Nice. Almost like the guys buying limited edition Porsches, driving it for a while, and then flipping it for higher value
I found someone selling a stealth, it's got 3500km on it, comes with a tow hitch, 19" sport summer, 18" winter, FSD, silver/white.
How much would you give for it? Seller wants more than a new one costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.