Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

220/40 amp circuit / correct charging cord?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. I have attached pictures of what I currently have. I have an electrician installing a plug receptacle where the electrical box is which is currently 220 volts connected to a 40 amp circuit. I have a 2022 model 3. I would like to purchase the correct cord to charge the car. Can you please provide a link of what I need to purchase.
Thank you in advance
C5CF5131-9EC0-4661-BA98-71C90DA4E16E.jpeg

Attachments

• D45B2A9B-3C64-4149-8D2E-B07DFC6E3DFC.jpeg
    D45B2A9B-3C64-4149-8D2E-B07DFC6E3DFC.jpeg
    461.6 KB · Views: 93
It's hard to tell from your pic but it looks like you have a black Romex cable feeding that box. If you can read the lettering on it we can give much more specific advice. It should say something like "6/3 NMB" or "8/2 NMB".

It looks like this box was an EV charging outlet in the past but was decommissioned by the previous owner to avoid issues with its building code non-compliance. If so, it should be very simple to slap an outlet back in there and continue charging, sans compliance.

Upvote 0
It's hard to tell from your pic but it looks like you have a black Romex cable feeding that box. If you can read the lettering on it we can give much more specific advice. It should say something like "6/3 NMB" or "8/2 NMB".

It looks like this box was an EV charging outlet in the past but was decommissioned by the previous owner to avoid issues with its building code non-compliance. If so, it should be very simple to slap an outlet back in there and continue charging, sans compliance.
You are correct. It’s an old GE durastation level 2 charger. I was going to get a 50 amp 125/250V receptacle and connect a Nema 14-50 adapter to use the charger that came with the car. Just wasn’t sure that would work with my 40 amp circuit.

Upvote 0
We need more information to answer it. Specifically, we need to know about what wires go to that. It is just three wires or four? In other words, is it just the two hots and a ground, or does it also have the white wire for neutral? And what gauge wires are they?
I’m not sure. It was connected to this.

Upvote 0
I was going to get a 50 amp 125/250V receptacle and connect a Nema 14-50 adapter to use the charger that came with the car. Just wasn’t sure that would work with my 40 amp circuit.
There are two parts to that:
1. If you don't have the white neutral wire, then don't use a 14-50 type of outlet. That has to have neutral. If you just have two hots and ground, then you would use a 6-50 type, which are 240V only instead of the dual voltage 120V/240V.

2. Since there are not any outlet types that are specific to 40A circuits, then yes, there is an exception allowed by code to use 50A outlet types for those. A lot of ovens are done that way. If you're doing it, I would recommend putting a label on or above the outlet though to say that it's a 40A circuit.

Reactions: wws and LoudMusic
Upvote 0
There are two parts to that:
1. If you don't have the white neutral wire, then don't use a 14-50 type of outlet. That has to have neutral. If you just have two hots and ground, then you would use a 6-50 type, which are 240V only instead of the dual voltage 120V/240V.

2. Since there are not any outlet types that are specific to 40A circuits, then yes, there is an exception allowed by code to use 50A outlet types for those. A lot of ovens are done that way. If you're doing it, I would recommend putting a label on or above the outlet though to say that it's a 40A circuit.
Can you tell if this would have had a white neutral wire?

Upvote 0
No. Your eyes or a camera can tell us what it has. Unscrew that cover and take a picture of what's in it.

You wouldn't believe the kind of stuff we have seen with bad and incorrect and non code-compliant installations of things before. So just saying what piece of equipment used to be attached to it is no guarantee at all that it was done with the correct wiring.

Upvote 0
If you can read the markings on the cable there'll be no need to open it.
If it's "8/2" get a 6-50 outlet and adapter
If it's "8/3" get 14-50
If it's "6/something" that's even better
If it's "10/something" you'll need a 30A breaker and outlet
If you see the word "aluminum" printed on there you might as well just burn your house down since it'll surely happen anyway.

Upvote 0

The GE would not have needed the white neutral wire. That does not mean that there isn't one there, however. Sometimes the electrician runs 4 wires anyway, just because he happens to have that wire in his truck, or the cost difference isn't significant. Best thing to do is follow the suggestions above and read the markings on the cable, and take the cover off and post a picture. That will tell the story.

OR

Just go with the 6-50. The main downside is that Tesla doesn't sell a 6-50 adapter and you'll have to go with an aftermarket one.

OR

If you still have the GE Durastation, put it back up and use it. It will work fine with your Tesla.

OR

Buy a wall connector. Although it seems more expensive, by the time you buy the adapter and outlet, and possibly have to upgrade the circuit breaker to GFI (something not needed with the wall connector), the difference in cost may close to a wash. Although everyone talks about using them on 60a circuits, they are configurable and work fine on 40a (and even smaller) circuits.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0