Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

220 outlet installation in garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

can anyone recommend an electrician they have personally used to install a 220 outlet in the garage.

i know price differs by location/house/size etc. but i want to get a sense of what you paid if you have done a simple install of a 220 plug. i can only draw 24 amps so an outlet is enough for now to keep my car topped up. i have access at work to a charger.

any recommendations for the Mississauga area LMK and if you have a price you paid please let me know for reference.

also my electrical box is in the basement and needs to be run about 20 feet to the garage.

Prices vary widely depending on length or run, current requirements, and difficulty (or lack thereof) of running the cable. Since you only are looking for 24A that will be a lot cheaper than someone looking for 80A for their HPWC.

This seems like a good place to ask, has anyone done a very simple install where the HPWC is literally like 1 meter away from a 200 amp panel? I haven't looked for any quotes yet but I'm hoping this is as simple as you can get! For the Model 3 I think it would just use 50 amp.

Thanks

Hi

can anyone recommend an electrician they have personally used to install a 220 outlet in the garage.

i know price differs by location/house/size etc. but i want to get a sense of what you paid if you have done a simple install of a 220 plug. i can only draw 24 amps so an outlet is enough for now to keep my car topped up. i have access at work to a charger.

any recommendations for the Mississauga area LMK and if you have a price you paid please let me know for reference.

also my electrical box is in the basement and needs to be run about 20 feet to the garage.

I got mine done by one of the Tesla-recommended electricians in Ottawa. Cost was about $750 to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet in the garage. They didn’t have to run the wires as far as you will have to however. I’d expect to pay somewhere between $750 and $1250 for the work you need done.

Tesla referred me to a great company, they came and did the install in mississauga for me for 800. great job and nice people.

now i have a 14-50 outlet in the garage which is great.

if anyone else is looking lmk and i can pass on their info.

This seems like a good place to ask, has anyone done a very simple install where the HPWC is literally like 1 meter away from a 200 amp panel? I haven't looked for any quotes yet but I'm hoping this is as simple as you can get! For the Model 3 I think it would just use 50 amp.

Thanks

You can do it yourself. If you're technical enough to adhere to the code and research... Submit a permit, get it inspected.

My panel is about the same distance. Material cost is about $50. Permit is $74 with 50% off rebate.

It's crazy how much these end up costing when done by an electrician.

Thanks
You can do it yourself. If you're technical enough to adhere to the code and research... Submit a permit, get it inspected.

My panel is about the same distance. Material cost is about $50. Permit is $74 with 50% off rebate.

It's crazy how much these end up costing when done by an electrician.

Definitely one to do yourself -- it's not worth the electrician's time to come out, so you will get a nice markup just because of that.

You might find this posting useful as a source for the relevant information you need to plan with: What is the cheapest Ontario EVIP approved charger?

Correction: permit is $80 for non-licensed persons ($74 if licensed).

Depending on the where the wiring can traverse through or on the wall surface, you might need conduit to protect the cable. However, parts are still going to be negligible: (1-2 m of conduit material and connectors: $25 max; 3 m of cable -- if in conduit, needs to be T90 separate conductors (i.e. not in out sheath) (you only need three, L1, L2, ground): $25 max; 1 breaker (possibly more if you have to condense breakers in your panel) -- $30-$50). If you can protect the cable by having it "inside" the wall cavity and passing through joints, then you'll need cable clamps for both ends (clamping into the back of the HPWC is not great idea as clamp would be inside wall), plus the cable (for this you could likely use regular NMD cable).

If you were local to Ottawa, I'd give you my left overs from my HPWC install (which I pretty much have all that you need except the breaker and possibly a connector).

Happy to try help, but keep in mind I'm not a licensed electrical contractor; I've just done a fair bit of reading and prior electrical work.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Oh, in case it might be useful, here is an annotated parts list of what I used for my install, with pricing for most of the elements:
Sample Parts/Permit Pricing for Tesla HPWC Install
Please read the notes on some of the cells (typically colour coded) for explanations on pricing/etc.

And a link to a photo of the garage portion of the install:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7U6q3e6KToWvM3E72

Please note that this has not yet been inspected by the ESA (just finished the install the other day) and of course, may require corrections if it's found to be non-compliant in any way.

Last edited:
Oh, in case it might be useful, here is an annotated parts list of what I used for my install, with pricing for most of the elements:
Sample Parts/Permit Pricing for Tesla HPWC Install
Please read the notes on some of the cells (typically colour coded) for explanations on pricing/etc.

And a link to a photo of the garage portion of the install:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7U6q3e6KToWvM3E72

Please note that this has not yet been inspected by the ESA (just finished the install the other day) and of course, may require corrections if it's found to be non-compliant in any way.

Hello,

Thank you for that list - really helps to visualise costs. Have you had your inspection?

I'd like to do the install myself and get it inspected but my questions is: Where did you get the instructions/code requirements to do the install? Do you have a resource you can point me to?

Thank you.

Hello,

Thank you for that list - really helps to visualise costs. Have you had your inspection?

I'd like to do the install myself and get it inspected but my questions is: Where did you get the instructions/code requirements to do the install? Do you have a resource you can point me to?

Thank you.
My inspection is not done yet -- I'm waiting till I know when the care will arrive to avoid issues with the 90-day window for the rebate on the charger.

However, I did get a person I knew socially through a club who turns out to be an electrician to glance at my pictures and "correct" any issues (which was: add one clamp here, and disconnect the neutral in the 6/3 if you aren't using it, and make sure both ends have physical protection on each end (e.g. wire nut/cap).

I also redid all my load calculations after that discussion and dropped my breaker to 50A, and the HPWC to 40A so that I am definitely under my load limit (160A) for a 200A home feed (which you wouldn't think would be that hard to be under, but I'm on the limit, even with mostly gas "appliances").

IMHO, the most important parts to know are:
- how to calculate the load for your house, and ensure you are not exceeding your limits
- how to route/connect/join/protect wiring
- how to transition though building envelopes
- what conductors are required for the load, the wiring location, and the method of protection
- and most of all, how to do it safely and correctly to avoid immediate and future injury

I suggest you have a look at my post here -- it has much of the info to get you started:
What is the cheapest Ontario EVIP approved charger?

Also, since you are in Ottawa, feel free to PM me and I might be able to make some more direct observations or suggestions...

Note that I am not a licensed electrician....just to cover myself legally. :)