Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'23 X vs '23 Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read through several threads on here, but all of them were comparing a used and older X to a new or newer Y. So I'm curious, straight up two new vehicles... what do you think? I know that I'm asking this in the X subsection, so maybe expect something of a bias, but hey we are all a bit biased are we not?

Has anyone had much experience with newer version of both of these?

Thank you for any thoughts you might have.

Had a brand new ‘20 X (totaled) and a brand new ‘22 Y. Sold the Y after 6 months for a small loss (like $2k). Hated the stiff suspension and terrible vision only Autopilot. Currently Tesla-less.

Really miss the air suspension and radar enhanced AP / FSD in my ‘20 X. New X is awesome now that you can get a steering wheel again, and with price reductions I am tempted to order a new LR again…

I have both a '22 MX and '22 MY. Aside from the major difference in price, they are both great vehicles. The MX is wonderful for highway driving but I prefer the MY in city driving, especially with smaller parking spots. For the driver and front-seat passenger, the field of view through the MX windshield is incomparable - but with the slant of the windshield, the A-Piller creates a minor blind-spot when turning to the left. But for rear-seat passengers, the MX front seats block most of the view through the windshield - whereas the glass-roof on the MY provides the rear-seat passengers with a magnificent view.

With that said, it is hard to ignore the difference in price - with the federal tax credit, the MX is now more than double the price of a MY.

I have both a '22 MX and '22 MY. Aside from the major difference in price, they are both great vehicles. The MX is wonderful for highway driving but I prefer the MY in city driving, especially with smaller parking spots. For the driver and front-seat passenger, the field of view through the MX windshield is incomparable - but with the slant of the windshield, the A-Piller creates a minor blind-spot when turning to the left. But for rear-seat passengers, the MX front seats block most of the view through the windshield - whereas the glass-roof on the MY provides the rear-seat passengers with a magnificent view.

With that said, it is hard to ignore the difference in price - with the federal tax credit, the MX is now more than double the price of a MY.

How would you feel about a 16-17 X vs new Y (about the same now with the federal tax credit) I would pay to upgrade the MCUs etc that TSLA would permit.

This is brilliant, thank you. How would you rate the X vs Y for twisty mountain roads?

Had a brand new ‘20 X (totaled) and a brand new ‘22 Y. Sold the Y after 6 months for a small loss (like $2k). Hated the stiff suspension and terrible vision only Autopilot. Currently Tesla-less.

Really miss the air suspension and radar enhanced AP / FSD in my ‘20 X. New X is awesome now that you can get a steering wheel again, and with price reductions I am tempted to order a new LR again…
Interesting, I had not known of the difference in AP between the two. If anything I'd assumed that the Y would have superior AP by dint of being newer.

Reactions: wreighven
Interesting, I had not known of the difference in AP between the two. If anything I'd assumed that the Y would have superior AP by dint of being newer.
I’d understand that assumption for sure, but unfortunately AP without the radar is a HUGE step backwards. On two lane roads (i.e. a road with one lane in each direction) my Y would FREQUENTLY brake hard thinking an oncoming car was in my lane. The AP cruise control was almost useless it phantom braked so much. If Tesla had released a “basic” cruise option with ZERO “smarts” I may have kept it. But basically needing to drive my car without any kind of cruise control was a deal breaker for me.

How would you feel about a 16-17 X vs new Y (about the same now with the federal tax credit) I would pay to upgrade the MCUs etc that TSLA would permit.
I was faced w/ this choice in summer of 2021. I really wanted an X, and the used pricing was finally coming to about the same price as a brand new Y at the time, but then Tesla raised the pricing on the Y. I shopped and waited, and got a '16 Model X P90D, private party. Drove it home from SE Florida.

Had some issues w/ supercharging speeds on my trip, so it went to the SC once I got it home to Minneapolis. HV pack needed to be replaced (under warranty, so no sweat). They had me in a 2021 Y for three weeks waiting on the replacement pack.

The Y is a nice vehicle, and I think it competes well in the price segment. It's nimble, seating is reasonably comfortable, etc. Ride quality is notably rough, having had a BMW X5 and Infiniti QX60 before going EV. The additional range and faster supercharging speeds are nice.

That being said, I'm glad I went w/ my X. It's far more comfortable overall: seating, ride quality is SIGNIFICANTLY smoother, I have more acceleration due to being the performance variant. I also have UHFS, so audio is great (though the Y actually might be a bit better). I am on AP1 and MCU1 (I actually prefer AP1 over current gen for highway driving). Do I wish I had more range and faster supercharging? Absolutely. Do I wish I had a landscape screen and MCU2? Yes.
Do I wish I had a Y? No. Between the enhanced comfort, ease of entry w/ the falcon doors, and FUSC + Lifetime Premium Connectivity, I'm pretty happy.
Up until pretty recently, I could have easily sold for at least what I paid for mine.

One thing to think about w/ the older X's is the current state of suspension. Budget in some $$$ for upkeep, as it's a heavy vehicle w/ a lot of power (even the non-P models). I recently had to sink about $5k into suspension work and tires given the age/mileage.

I was faced w/ this choice in summer of 2021. I really wanted an X, and the used pricing was finally coming to about the same price as a brand new Y at the time, but then Tesla raised the pricing on the Y. I shopped and waited, and got a '16 Model X P90D, private party. Drove it home from SE Florida.

Had some issues w/ supercharging speeds on my trip, so it went to the SC once I got it home to Minneapolis. HV pack needed to be replaced (under warranty, so no sweat). They had me in a 2021 Y for three weeks waiting on the replacement pack.

The Y is a nice vehicle, and I think it competes well in the price segment. It's nimble, seating is reasonably comfortable, etc. Ride quality is notably rough, having had a BMW X5 and Infiniti QX60 before going EV. The additional range and faster supercharging speeds are nice.

That being said, I'm glad I went w/ my X. It's far more comfortable overall: seating, ride quality is SIGNIFICANTLY smoother, I have more acceleration due to being the performance variant. I also have UHFS, so audio is great (though the Y actually might be a bit better). I am on AP1 and MCU1 (I actually prefer AP1 over current gen for highway driving). Do I wish I had more range and faster supercharging? Absolutely. Do I wish I had a landscape screen and MCU2? Yes.
Do I wish I had a Y? No. Between the enhanced comfort, ease of entry w/ the falcon doors, and FUSC + Lifetime Premium Connectivity, I'm pretty happy.
Up until pretty recently, I could have easily sold for at least what I paid for mine.

One thing to think about w/ the older X's is the current state of suspension. Budget in some $$$ for upkeep, as it's a heavy vehicle w/ a lot of power (even the non-P models). I recently had to sink about $5k into suspension work and tires given the age/mileage.

Great comparison. I know what you mean as 3 owner with rough coil ride and i assume Y will be the same?

RE: upkeep: I'm trying to buy the used X thru TSLA, but they don't make it easy. No test drives etc (which I'm okay with new but not used) but the warranty extension is hard to match unless I do aftermarket.

Tires i don't care about as much since I have DT do price matching+military discount.. eg Got my 3 tires for $400 OTD total w/ warranty!

I’d understand that assumption for sure, but unfortunately AP without the radar is a HUGE step backwards. On two lane roads (i.e. a road with one lane in each direction) my Y would FREQUENTLY brake hard thinking an oncoming car was in my lane. The AP cruise control was almost useless it phantom braked so much. If Tesla had released a “basic” cruise option with ZERO “smarts” I may have kept it. But basically needing to drive my car without any kind of cruise control was a deal breaker for me.
From what I'm reading, it seems that the X is going to migrate to vision only sometime in '23 as well.

Reactions: tierneyalvin
This is brilliant, thank you. How would you rate the X vs Y for twisty mountain roads?
I don't know if it's the MX suspension, the extra weight, or both, but to me it feels more solid in fast turns, but the MY is not bad. The regenerative braking on the MY is more aggressive, which I assume is due to lesser weight, so it is probably easier to drive on twisting roads as you can more comfortably modulate the vehicle speed without tapping the brakes, but I strongly prefer the MX for longer distance and highway driving.

Last edited:
When the lease was up on my Model X, we test drove a Model Y. It was nice, but was too stiff and unforgiving and just felt like a step down because of the lack of things like auto-presenting doors, no drive side display, etc. When we got back from the test drive, we ordered a new X.
All Model Y (and 3) have side display available, but you have to turn it on. Yes, the Model Y is absolutely a step down from the X. It costs half as much. What were you expecting? Actually I was impressed with how good the Model Y is. If I did not get such a good trade-in for my 2018, I probably would have purchased a Y. But not this time.

All Model Y (and 3) have side display available, but you have to turn it on. Yes, the Model Y is absolutely a step down from the X. It costs half as much. What were you expecting? Actually I was impressed with how good the Model Y is. If I did not get such a good trade-in for my 2018, I probably would have purchased a Y. But not this time.

A Used X is about the same price as new Y

If Y offered a better suspension like X or S I would jump. side display available??

A Used X is about the same price as new Y
Perhaps, but I really doubt it with the recent price cuts.
If Y offered a better suspension like X or S I would jump. side display available??
Yes, I have it on my 2019 Model 3. Rear view plus both sides in reverse or on demand. Either side (blind spot) with turn signals. In fact with the 3 and Y, the blind spot view can be moved to any position on the screen, something I cannot do on my 2022 X.

Perhaps, but I really doubt it with the recent price cuts.

Yes, I have it on my 2019 Model 3. Rear view plus both sides in reverse or on demand. Either side (blind spot) with turn signals. In fact with the 3 and Y, the blind spot view can be moved to any position on the screen, something I cannot do on my 2022 X.

Used '16 X is about $50K now. They're dropping too w/ the recent price cuts.

I thought you meant the HUD