Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving from X to Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
Has anyone moved from a newer X to a Y recently?

Since I work from home and the pandemic forced me to go online, I wonder if I need an X anymore. The money is fine, but it is a quirky car. We got the 5 seater since it we are a 2 person household with no children at home. So I am thinking about turning it in and leasing a Y instead. Any thoughts? Has anyone else done this?

These are all great points and I say the same. We have a 2018 X and a 2020 Y. The MX is the wife's car and loves it. She really don't like the Y at all. Me, I love the Y and feel that the X is just a bit on the large size and feels a slight disconnect from the road. Really love the FWD and still to this day love the attraction.
I'd say stick with the X until you have driven the Y. The single screen takes a little getting use to. YMMV.

These are all great points and I say the same. We have a 2018 X and a 2020 Y. The MX is the wife's car and loves it. She really don't like the Y at all. Me, I love the Y and feel that the X is just a bit on the large size and feels a slight disconnect from the road. Really love the FWD and still to this day love the attraction.
I'd say stick with the X until you have driven the Y. The single screen takes a little getting use to. YMMV.
I have driven a Y. The ride was a bit harsh to me and it did not handle as smoothly as our 3 LR or X does. And since I drive both cars, I am used to the single screen and kind of hate the lack of the driver side binnacle.

I wonder if the Y is easier to park and a more practical car. The X FWDs are neat, but not very practical and not fun to use in the garage.

Also, I wonder if the Y is better assembled car. Our 2 Xs (2018 and 2022) have rattled a lot. I have to coat each door seal and door plate with Gummi Plege every other month to prevent rattles and squeaks on uneven road surfaces. Also, the driver side binnacle rattles so much it ruins any distance travelling. And now I am hearing some additional creak noises when start off at a stop light. All of this seems unacceptable for a 14-month old car with 5K miles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darmie
Also, I wonder if the Y is better assembled car. Our 2 Xs (2018 and 2022) have rattled a lot. I have to coat each door seal and door plate with Gummi Plege every other month to prevent rattles and squeaks on uneven road surfaces. Also, the driver side binnacle rattles so much it ruins any distance travelling. And now I am hearing some additional creak noises when start off at a stop light. All of this seems unacceptable for a 14-month old car with 5K miles.
My 2 MYs have rattled more than the X/S, which still rattle.

I have driven a Y so know about the harsher ride quality. I was just curious what others experience had been moving from an X to a Y.

If you don't need the space (or need the money), get an Y.

If you are bigger or you have a family with money, get an X.

I myself am 6.3' and I hate the 3 which is in all relevant metrics same size as the Y. To accomodate rear passengers (kids who are so small they sit with their feet straight and thus require more space) I must compromise my own comfort and stress my hip joints.

i'm waiting for a reasonable price point for the X, or the CT, whichever comes first.

Last edited:
I traded a ‘22 X for a ‘23 Y 7 months ago. I’m glad I did but it was mostly for financial reasons. The timing was just before all the X price drops this year so the trade in value was ridiculously high relative to what I initially paid.

If X prices drop in the future, I would be very tempted. Of course resale on the Y (w/ fsd) is low right now so that could be a problem.

Both cars are great imo, but the X has more space, more features/tech, and slightly more range.

Reactions: maytaurustiger
I'm against the grain. I love the X. Build quality, interior craftsmanship, ride height, interior width, sound system, falcon wing doors IN THE GARGE IS AMAZING, so much interior space in frunk, wheel wells for camping... I have a video on it. If money isn't an issue I'd go X any day. I'd trade in my X to get a NEW X just for the headlights but that's dumb.

But the Y is great too. Good value. Light. Lots of space.

I’d ask this question in the Y forum and also see what the responses are. There will be bias on both sides of the forum :)

I have a late 22’ MYPerf and tbh the suspension at 38/39psi and 275/295 tires (Vs the oem 255/275) makes for a totally diff ride. Not the X but much closer.

Handling is much better. Having said this, the X is an nicer place to be hands down.

Reactions: Sandiegodoug
Yes follow the "existing inventory" option from the referral link you have.
Thanks. I figured it out by emailing myself the link. The ‘self refer’ loyalty option from the app doesn’t work or at least there’s no obvious discount being applied on the order page. The loyalty option is inferior anyway because there’s no referer credits available.

Current X inventory in the SF Bay Area is less than last week. With inventory discounts, buying a Tesla at a ‘good ‘ price now requires checking inventory regularly. Now that supply/demand is more balanced, this makes sense.