Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving from X to Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going to the Y will save you some $, but you will give up power, adapatble air suspension, driver focused display, swiveling center display, rear seat display and controls, heated/cooled seats, towing capacity, automatic load leveling, falcon wing doors, automatic doors and hatch, larger trunk, HEPA air filtration and Bio-Weapon health protection, better rear seat comfort, tan interior option, Sony Atmos speaker system, automatic sound cancellation, option for Yoke or circle stearing, panoramic windshield, Flagship status, automatic leveling on rough roads or steep driveways, ability to raise and lower suspension as desired, etc.

I understand the pull of the super popular Y and its value proposition, but it is not in the same league with the Mighty X.

Going to the Y will save you some $, but you will give up … adaptable air suspension

Not to quibble but if a non-air suspension X was offered, I’d of gladly opted for that. Air is nice, but one more thing to break and the complexity of the air system leverages up the failure points and makes it harder to find non-OEM solutions when parts will inevitably need to be replaced. Specifically ordered my 2017 S without air and when the shocks reached the end of their useful life, I was able to use a 3rd party (SCALE) option for coil overs for about ⅓ of the cost Tesla quote for the OEM Bilistien (sp) replacement.

Agree mostly with the rest:
…driver focused display, swiveling center display, rear seat display and controls, heated/cooled seats, towing capacity, automatic load leveling, falcon wing doors, automatic doors and hatch, larger trunk, HEPA air filtration and Bio-Weapon health protection, better rear seat comfort, tan interior option, Sony Atmos speaker system, automatic sound cancellation, option for Yoke or circle stearing, panoramic windshield, Flagship status, automatic leveling on rough roads or steep driveways, ability to raise and lower suspension as desired, etc.

Going to the Y will save you some $, but you will give up power, adapatble air suspension, driver focused display, swiveling center display, rear seat display and controls, heated/cooled seats, towing capacity, automatic load leveling, falcon wing doors, automatic doors and hatch, larger trunk, HEPA air filtration and Bio-Weapon health protection, better rear seat comfort, tan interior option, Sony Atmos speaker system, automatic sound cancellation, option for Yoke or circle stearing, panoramic windshield, Flagship status, automatic leveling on rough roads or steep driveways, ability to raise and lower suspension as desired, etc.

I understand the pull of the super popular Y and its value proposition, but it is not in the same league with the Mighty X.
I have a Y, and to correct your statement - heated/cooled seats, towing, HEPA air filtration and Bio-Weapon health protection are there in my car. Had to pay a $1000 to Tesla to get tow factory installed.

Not to quibble but if a non-air suspension X was offered, I’d of gladly opted for that. Air is nice, but one more thing to break and the complexity of the air system leverages up the failure points and makes it harder to find non-OEM solutions when parts will inevitably need to be replaced. Specifically ordered my 2017 S without air and when the shocks reached the end of their useful life, I was able to use a 3rd party (SCALE) option for coil overs for about ⅓ of the cost Tesla quote for the OEM Bilistien (sp) replacement.

that s like a 4runner vs a gx460... gx460 rides so much better...

maybe an m3 would ve suited you better...

I'm against the grain. I love the X. Build quality, interior craftsmanship, ride height, interior width, sound system, falcon wing doors IN THE GARGE IS AMAZING, so much interior space in frunk, wheel wells for camping... I have a video on it. If money isn't an issue I'd go X any day. I'd trade in my X to get a NEW X just for the headlights but that's dumb.

But the Y is great too. Good value. Light. Lots of space.
How tall is the ceiling in your garage? And do you have another car? Ours is about 7-8 feet, and the FWDs are a pain since they are constrained on one side by another car and above by the ceiling. The same issues occur in parking garages.

...rides so much better...
Would agree.

My point however is I view my car with a 'work lens' vs a toy or over-stuffed-codpiece - and as such - reliability and functionality are my priorities. For the former I've found simpler is (almost) always better and note it's the foundation for the latter.

It's not that I do not like the air suspension, the ride it offers, or the greater degree of customization it affords; it clearly is superior on all those fronts from what 3/Y offers. It's more like the added cost [and that's cost in terms of time, not $$$'s] don't justify the benefits.

maybe an m3 would ve suited you better...
Doubtful.

In 2016 I was hitting ~200k+ on my Acura TL and it sorely needed replacement. Choices at the time were the X or the S. While I originally jumped in line for the X, I eventually opted for the S as I felt the Tesla still needed some more time to work out kinks in producing the new (at the time) X while the S had about 5 years already under its belt...again note the theme of reliability and function (the established S) being preferred over the new and flashy (new build Xs).

Earlier this year when evaluating how to replace my S, I knew I wanted the two hitch meaning my options were either the X or the Y.

When I started digging into the nuances of the hitch, it became clear the X had a material edge of the Y for my purposes (see the links below if interested).

Believe it or not what sealed the deal for me to opt for the X boiled down to the 3 years of free supercharging TSLA was offering. As a high mileage driver, this is a non-negligible savings and the ability to charge quicker + less often means the cost (again, time cost) is materially less than the S.

My hope is by the time the air shocks reach the end of their service life an acceptable aftermarket solution, or better yet, solutions will exists. While I can only gaze so far into the future, my assumption is the first priority I'd consider when selecting between options would be reliability followed by longevity followed by comfort.

When we bought ours in 2017, there was no choice available. If you wanted a 6 seat capacity electric suv, only choice was the x. Ours doesn’t have cooling seats, as we opted for the real leather seats, which still look new after 6 years, and the car still had current styling.

where are you seeing these X's with the $7500 discount? The Model X is well above the $80k Fed rebate threshold.
They are/were recently under ‘existing inventory’. Obviously inventory changes at any time and varies by region. I’ve seen some with even bigger discounts and many others with smaller discounts. This includes new cars as opposed to new demo cars with miles from test drives.

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa

Single data point but, I have 270,000 mi on my model S and have never had a single problem with the air suspension. True, something over $200,000 Tesla replaced the air compressor pump at their cost saying it should have been done earlier. But it wasn't giving any errors. I do know of a number of people with over 100,000 on their S's who have never had any air suspension problems.

But, if they do have problems, yes, it is expensive to repair! Although somewhere on this forum is a long discussion of doing this work yourself.

Reactions: Darmie