Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

24h Distance Record

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, new guy here, Danny from Kings Park.
Have been lurking for a few weeks and noticed how much fun you guys have in your Tesla's.
I dont actually own a Tesla so I just rent one when I can afford it. (EVEEH)
I want to start a world wide contest for longest distance driven in an electric car in a 24h period.
So I set a preliminary record of 1667km on the 7th August 2016 in the EVEEH Model S 70.
Went Sydney Melbourne Sydney stopping at each Supercharger along the way.
The 24h rolled around half way between Goulburn and Sydney. I had a few setbacks which cost me time but I think its possible to do almost 2000km in 24h.
I did the trip solo and about 80% AutoPilot to reduce fatigue. Only took 3 NoDoze tablets toward the end and never felt drowsy but did sleep for 50 minutes in Gundagai on the return leg. The AutoPilot definitely reduces fatigue. After 27h 20 minutes and 1848km I was still jumping around excited it was such an epic Endurance Grand Touring experience.
In 0C degree temperatures I was getting up to 65km range error figures ie in Wodonga I started with 290km range, drove 196km and it showed 29km range left when I got to Gundagai.
Now 290km minus 196km is 94km so there was an error factor of 65km.
The air in the tires chilled so much that all 4 tire pressure warnings came up so I checked them in Euroa, 40-38psi. I jacked them up to 46psi. The tires should be inflated with Nitrogen as is done in most Mazda service centers.
Heres a screenshot of the owners GPS tracking app.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e62/ripperton_2008/GPS screenshot_zpsyfsmpnuj.png

• Funny
Reactions: GSP and Blue heaven
Hi, new guy here, Danny from Kings Park.
Have been lurking for a few weeks and noticed how much fun you guys have in your Tesla's.
I dont actually own a Tesla so I just rent one when I can afford it. (EVEEH)
I want to start a world wide contest for longest distance driven in an electric car in a 24h period.
So I set a preliminary record of 1667km on the 7th August 2016 in the EVEEH Model S 70.
Went Sydney Melbourne Sydney stopping at each Supercharger along the way.
The 24h rolled around half way between Goulburn and Sydney. I had a few setbacks which cost me time but I think its possible to do almost 2000km in 24h.
I did the trip solo and about 80% AutoPilot to reduce fatigue. Only took 3 NoDoze tablets toward the end and never felt drowsy but did sleep for 50 minutes in Gundagai on the return leg. The AutoPilot definitely reduces fatigue. After 27h 20 minutes and 1848km I was still jumping around excited it was such an epic Endurance Grand Touring experience.
In 0C degree temperatures I was getting up to 65km range error figures ie in Wodonga I started with 290km range, drove 196km and it showed 29km range left when I got to Gundagai.
Now 290km minus 196km is 94km so there was an error factor of 65km.
The air in the tires chilled so much that all 4 tire pressure warnings came up so I checked them in Euroa, 40-38psi. I jacked them up to 46psi. The tires should be inflated with Nitrogen as is done in most Mazda service centers.
Heres a screenshot of the owners GPS tracking app.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e62/ripperton_2008/GPS screenshot_zpsyfsmpnuj.png
Cool Ripperton - on the safety side - did you have a speed limit policy? Maybe the rules of your record should include maximim driving times (like trucks) with driver rotation. The NT has unrestricted and 130 zones but no superchargers and you'd be killed by a roo at night time so maybe not!

Last edited:
Cool Ripperton - on the safety side - did you have a speed limit policy? Maybe the rules of your record should include maximim driving times (like trucks) with driver rotation. The NT has unrestricted and 130 zones but no superchargers and you'd be killed by a roo at night time so maybe not!

Yes you obviously have to adhere to speed limits. The S is doing 113kmh if the speedo is reading 115kmh so I set the ACC to 115kmh and the HP tend not to get too excited about 3kmh over.
There is so much idle time when SuperCharger Touring that you really dont need to pause outside of charge sessions.
I actually think these records should be done solo and with 70kWh packs just to show what can be done with base models.
The 95kWh packs wouldnt be much of an advantage other than only stopping every second SC instead over each one.
Even the Hume has animal hazards, wouldnt want to hit a Wombat in an S, it would take the front suspension right out.

Heres zero hour at My place 2am

Here I am slow charging at Sally's Corner because I didnt think it would make it to Goulburn.

Tire pressure warnings

Melbourne

24h mark 1667km

AutoPilot cheat. resting you thigh up under the wheel keeps the hands on warning from showing.

I think you discovered that range is affected by the low temperatures resulting on the predictions being off, particularly if the car is set to Rated Range.
Starting a competition that encourages Tesla drivers to drive solo, non-stop through the night invites criticism of being irresponsible and dangerous.
I think the rules should stipulate a minimum of 2 drivers and a mattress in the back where the off driver can sleep.

This kind of driving isnt for everyone. I would discourage the average person from undertaking endurance driving.
You have to be a "Driver" This requires the right kind of psychology, experience and techniques.
What IS irresponsible is the kind of things people get up to with AutoPilot like sleeping on the way to work and reading a book.
AP isnt what people think it is. They give it way to much authority.
I use it a motor substitute so I dont have to use the muscles in my arms and hands to move the steering wheel. This reduces mental effort by 50%. I still have to be fully conscious in a supervisory capacity to make sure the AP is doing its job.
I have had AP literally drive off the highway on one occasion. It veered slowly toward the right until the tires hit the ripple bumps then I grabbed the wheel and corrected it. Interesting but not scary.
Its probably less fatiguing to drive solo as you dont have to use mental effort to generate conversation !
It wouldnt be right to ignore the copilot for 24h.
After the last drive I believe I could easily drive non stop for 32h.
The next attempt will be done closer to summer. Increased battery efficiency will reduce charge times.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Excellent initiative, although I reject the solo driver in combination with 24hr duration. Swapping drivers is much more healthy.
My best bet is (for 90kWh MS, I wouldn't know 70kWh) to find a stretch in Germany. Unrestricted Autobahn that doesn't get congested even in rush hour. Or at east clean in weekends.
Based on a MS P85(D?) test by Bjorn Nyland I think a 90kWh can cruis a bit over 100mph/161kpu (to almost 0%) and then charge back up just enough, and do it again, for an average speed of well over 120kph. I believe Bjorn had a short out and back stretch, using the same SC each time. The turnaround point, if forcing you below 100mph in the turn, wastes time.

To skip Superchargers is to waste time. Because the charging is fastest when the battery is empty, filling it up to skip a SC makes you spend (let's say) 3x as much time charging to go 2x the distance.
Paradoxally you get the most mileage per day on a battery that's being kept as empty as possibble. Charging a few % more than needed to make the next SC at 100mph is also a waste of time.
I love the idea of such a record, it takes precision. But due to the fast charging, it encourages fast driving. Realistically, you can not make a rule to drive any faster than the speed limit, even for overtakes.
That such a record will always be set in Germany proves that Ev have nothing to prove anymore. At least those with access to Tesla Superchargers.

Which makes me come up with an alternative. 24hrs, 2+ drivers, non-SC public charging only . Much more interesting. Driving speeds will need to be slower.

[a mattress in the back where the off driver can sleep.]
The route should be iconic so people all over the world can identify with it.
Not just between 2 random SuperChargers.
Sydney Melbourne is a classic route, 2 major cities that everyone in the world knows.
May end up with a points system with deductions for high speed limits and co-pilots.
Anyway heres my dream car the, 24h special in blue.

What a great effort!
With the P90D and its improved charging and updated aero it should be a bit quicker by default. P100DL coming up potentially even more so.
Trick is to keep the battery as low as possible and drive not too long at not too low a speed. It could all be put into a formula. If you driver anywhere with a speed limit, you're losing time/distance. If Bjorn Nyland managed 120kph average (against just over 100kph in the 24u record), with another serious attempt onunrestricted Autobahn here may be a good margin, depending mostly on traffic and being rain free, I suppose.

I concede defeat, they got it down to a science of optimals and did away with the romance of Grand Touring but hey 2424km is just awesome !!! Well done.
I hope to be back in the seat soon to see what I can do solo and come up with an Australian record.

I think you discovered that range is affected by the low temperatures resulting on the predictions being off, particularly if the car is set to Rated Range.
Starting a competition that encourages Tesla drivers to drive solo, non-stop through the night invites criticism of being irresponsible and dangerous.
I think the rules should stipulate a minimum of 2 drivers and a mattress in the back where the off driver can sleep.

I did not find your comment 100% clear so please forgive me if I misunderstood but if you meant one driver could sleep on a mattress in the back of the car while the other driver drove, that won't fly. Everyone in a moving car must wear a seat belt. Tesla seat belts are not suitable for horizontal passengers.

Reactions: Cloxxki
I did not find your comment 100% clear so please forgive me if I misunderstood but if you meant one driver could sleep on a mattress in the back of the car while the other driver drove, that won't fly. Everyone in a moving car must wear a seat belt. Tesla seat belts are not suitable for horizontal passengers.
Only suggested that it was arguable safer than trying to drive 24 hours solo and falling asleep at the wheel, but your right, not legal. Of course, neither is exceeding the speed limit legal. :)

Ripperton, please be safe! Within speed limits, I do like the idea of records between big cities which many people drive. EV's will be slower than committed "racers" in fossil cars, but the gap will be diminishing, and already seems gone for those who like a bit of a rest/bite between stints.

Their stints were 94km between charges rabbiting back and forth between the supercharger in Seligweiler and the clover leaf Autobahn intersection near Augsburg where they just did a U turn and headed back to the SC.
Contradictory is where they say the off driver slept in the hotel but there was always a passenger in the car.

Their stints were 94km between charges rabbiting back and forth between the supercharger in Seligweiler and the clover leaf Autobahn intersection near Augsburg where they just did a U turn and headed back to the SC.
Contradictory is where they say the off driver slept in the hotel but there was always a passenger in the car.
I didn't read it as a contradiction. 2 drivers taking turns, and likely multiple passengers taking turns. It was planned, not 2 guys taking off on a whim.

I don't think anyone here would condone someone being over the legal limit for blood alchohol and going on a long drive - however much they boasted that they could handle their drink and it didn't effect them?

Being awake for a prolonged period, let alone driving for all of that time, will end up having a similar effect on someone's ability to react in an emergency - ignoring the risk of falling asleep at the wheel. This is not me just succumbing to nanny state messaging, I work in an industry where the impact of fatigue and fatigue management is taken seriously.

I admire the feat that Ripperton achieved to the extent that it shows what an EV can achieve, but can't condone or encourage people to "push through" putting themselves and others at risk of serious injury or worse. The Tesla driver may well survive (given the car's safety features) to live the rest of their life with the guilt that they paralysed or killed an innocent person in another vehicle.

Rant over - surely we can collectively come up with a challenge which doesn't encourage speeding or rely upon a single driver to drive continuously without a rest, but still shows how awesome a modern EV can be?

Reactions: Mark E and Cloxxki