Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To do List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Checked the bungs. They are at an angle and would project an elipse is my guess.also, I am not confident i could run wires from there to the puddle lights.they are also in metal whereas the puddle lights are in the plastic door liner.

Hey Dborn, it looks like the Tesla is lucky to have puddle lights directly under the door where the projector can go without having to drill a new hole or even having to take the door panel off. From what you say, it seems that if you pry off the existing puddle light, force the hole to be slightly bigger, you can grab and connect the wires, and just shove the projector into the existing hole at the bottom of the door. An aluminium face plate to cover the gaps on both sides help and so double sided tape on either side or perhaps self tapping screws to hold it up.

But the beauty is no need to take off the door panel and stuff around.... So, am I on the right track or am I missing something here...

The projectors need to mount to something.others have removed the stock lights and then removed the mechanism, and carefully drilled the plastic lens and mounted the circular projector onto it and pushed the lot back in. I considered that but felt I was likely to crack and destroy the lights. Once you remove the fitting, the wiring comes with it, of course. Unclip and retain the plug, and splice into the wiring just back of the plug with crimp on splices which incorporate a blade connector, put blades on the projector wires an you are good to go.
Incidentally I used the projectors with spring clips rather than with a screw on nut. I felt they would be easier and they were, but either will work.

The projectors need to mount to something.others have removed the stock lights and then removed the mechanism, and carefully drilled the plastic lens and mounted the circular projector onto it and pushed the lot back in. I considered that but felt I was likely to crack and destroy the lights. Once you remove the fitting, the wiring comes with it, of course. Unclip and retain the plug, and splice into the wiring just back of the plug with crimp on splices which incorporate a blade connector, put blades on the projector wires an you are good to go.
Incidentally I used the projectors with spring clips rather than with a screw on nut. I felt they would be easier and they were, but either will work.

Yes Dborn, I found this my.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/super-simple-puddle-logo-light-installation
the danger is breaking the plastic thing along the way.

which leads me to my next question. What did you do with all your left over puddle lights? Did you break them all? Did you install any in your boot?

They are sitting in a drawer. Frankly they are poor quality and quite dim. I did consider installing in my boot, but if i am going to go to all that trouble, i may well go for ribbon LEDS installed under the parcel shelf supports. I have not really turned my mind to it, as one has to be able to route a cable there from the existing lights. A better option might be to see if i can find replacement lights that are brighter, but which have the same connector. That would make it a clip in job. I suspect though, that like a lot of other stuff, the connectors are not industry standard, else the Americans would have done this already. The Tesla Tap site referenced earlier in this thread i think has a section on upgrading the trunk lights. (It also has my trims on there as well).
I have clicked out the trunk lights (they are the same model as the ones i removed from the doors), I have noticed that the cables are heavily wrapped in a tape and quite short which makes splicing into them a bit of a challenge.

Does that actually work raynewman? Are they sturdy? Want to post some pictures here? And what image(s)/logos did you get? Too many questions I know...
Here's the photos; front and back (back door not fully open).

IMG_3800.JPG

IMG_3801.JPG

Thanks for that raynewman. I really need to get my Tesla (I have no real mental image of all these things on the Tesla doors). I looked at the door on my i3 and it is definitely not easy to put a puddle light in that - I mean it will at least involve taking off the inside of the door and in fact there are no existing puddle lights to tap in to. The closet I can think of is the internal door handle lights but then they are on every time the car is on - so I have given up on the i3 project.

For Ztrekus. Here is a photo with the projector light installed in place of the puddle light on my car. As you see, the projection is symmetrical.View attachment 81922

Well and truly sold Dborn... Have told my whole family about it, so very excited...

I am a little concerned that when I remove the puddle lights, the plastic will either break at that point or break when I try and drill it. I am hoping to use them to hold the projector. I went to Bunnings yesterday and bought a metal file as well as a kind of a dremel bit to widen the door.

Incidentally, the red door edge light is the same make and size as the removed puddle light. It is also about as bright as the standard light. Considering that my car came with the so called lighting package, I consider those fittings to be an insult for the price.
Should you break the plastic when you come to fit them, don't fret. A bit of sheet metal will do very nicely. There are also whole threads on the subject on this web site.

Incidentally, the red door edge light is the same make and size as the removed puddle light. It is also about as bright as the standard light. Considering that my car came with the so called lighting package, I consider those fittings to be an insult for the price.
Should you break the plastic when you come to fit them, don't fret. A bit of sheet metal will do very nicely. There are also whole threads on the subject on this web site.

Yes, I am sure it shouldn't be too difficult to rig something up. I really wish I got to see those lights that day I saw you in Gosford. Do the puddle lights come on in the day or just night?

I hope that the new v7 UI allows some RHD specific changes. For instance all the pop up window closure buttons are on the left side of the window, great when you sit in the left seat but a further reach for those of us who sit on the right, it would be good if they could change over for us or at least allow skins so that someone else can write an app to do it.

My 4 puddle lights arrived today from China. Two Tesla symbols and two wolf symbols. But the wolf circles are much smaller than the Tesla circles. But that is not such a big deal. They both look really cool. Now all I need is a Tesla to stick them in.

(It is not really appropriate to install them in an i3. The i3 has a white LED in the door handle which points down to the ground illuminating it in white light. It would be a shame to mess with it 'cause it actually looks quite modern.)