Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

24h Distance Record

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think anyone here would condone someone being over the legal limit for blood alchohol and going on a long drive - however much they boasted that they could handle their drink and it didn't effect them?
Years ago the main measure as to how long it took to drive from here to there was 'how many stubbies it took'.
I don't remember anyone boasting 'that they could handle their drink and it didn't effect them'.

In the US, where the highway speed limits vary from 55 to 75, if you travel less than 85, you do it in the slow lane.
The US has fewer deaths per million miles driven that a lot of other places including Australia.

We need a little less nanny!

To the best of my knowledge, this is the current record for 24h distance, set by Horst Lüning and his son Ben:
2,424 Kilometers In 24 Hours In Tesla Model S … On German Autobahn

2424km (measured by GPS) or 2442km (measured by odometer). They booked a hotel room close to the supercharger to get some rest, while the other driver was out on the road.

Wow. I once did 820 miles in 16 hours and did it pretty much at speed & charge limits - which would equate to be 1230 miles in 24 hours.

He did 1517 miles in 24 hours. That's a 63 mile per hour average, with charge stops.

At the time I also calculated the theoretical maximum average speed with 120kW SuperChargers on an S85's taper curve to be 59 mph. So 63mph average is quite an achievement (and means Tesla improved the taper curve since 2014).

I looked back up Bjorn Nyland's video. He didn't manage nearly as much average speed as I remembered.
So 100kph average is super impressive after all. I wonder what the ideal (typical) cruising speed and resulting maximum average speed is for each Tesla, or BEV for that matter.

Ripperton, please be safe!

but can't condone or encourage people to "push through" putting themselves and others at risk

Rolls eyes, you guys sound like my Mother
Im must be the only person here who doesnt own a Tesla but the only one who knows what its like to drive one.
My record attempt consisted of 10x 1h45m AP assisted drive stints interrupted by 40 minute charge sessions where I either slept or switched my brain off completely. It was a holiday. Im not a professional driver and I dont have to adhere to regulation sleep requirements, but this pattern is sustainable. I never felt drowsy at any time during the 27 hours.
I was a mechanic in the Motorcycle Endurance World Championship in 2001 and although the riders dont have to stay awake for 24 hours the mechanics have to stay awake for 32. Doing rear wheel swaps in 46 seconds, refueling and putting the bike back together if the rider bins it, being on the ball all the time. Granted after 32 hours of LeMans you can sleep on gravel.

I elaborate as follows-
Your distance record requires definition of how it can be done. My interpretation is this. If you can use 2 Teslas with 2 drivers you should be able to achieve the theoretical limit of 2640 kms in 24 hrs by starting off at 110kphr on the Hume on a day of no road works. A 2nd Tesla is positioned around 300ks ahead. As you approach it you position yourself in synch & either climb thru windows via a plank to change drivers or pass a baton like in a relay. The 2nd Tesla then continues for about 150ks and does a screaming U turn before returning to the first Tesla which by this time has been recharged at a SC station and is waiting on the other side of the Hume to repeat the process until 24 hrs expires. The trick is to maintain 110ks and avoid slowing down and use AP during changes. The plank should be telescopic with power driven extensions. Cooperation of the police will be reqd re the plank activities..The alternative transfer by helicopter is not recommended. I could not find an Astrophysicist as you asked for but have run the above logic thru my 14 year old nephew who by no means a mathmatician thinks it a great idea. I personally thinks the idea is a complete waste of time and would rather hit my head on a brick wall. At least it feels better when you stop.

BS..I wouldnt call THAT logic and your nephew is smarter than you are.
heres a better idea, a lot like jet fighters refueling midair.
A few 4 tonne trucks with ballsy turbo diesels cruise along the Hume with a quick release solenoid coupling that the Tesla can hook up to and engage regen at about 100kW whilst maintaining 110kmh. The trucks show up on the Teslas GPS so they are easy to find.
Rolling non stop at 113kmh would get you a total of 2712km in 24h.
btw where the bleep is Malbourne ?

N.B. Post edited by moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moderators note
@RIPPERTON I love your enthusiasm, but your recent use of language is not appropriate, and there are more polite ways of pointing out spelling mistakes.
I have sent you an official warning, the next breach will result in probation where every one of your posts won't appear until I first approve it.

Moderators hat off:
Your plan may work or may not but I think it misses the point of a record like this.
To my way of thinking the reason you want to set a record like this is to prove that fast long distance travel in an EV is now possible, at least with the correct charging infrastructure.
Not entirely sure what your technique proves but you could simply drive between Sydney and Melbourne and back again until the 24 hrs expires moderating your speed to achieve maximum speed between Superchargers and minimum time charging.