Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

250wh per pile to get performance rated range of 315 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m curious to see the range difference between all season 20s and all season 18s

The difference in EPA figures between the LR (which comes with 18s with low-rolling-restistance All-Season tires) and the P (which comes with 20s with low-rolling-resistance UHP Summer Tires) would be a good place to start.

Unless you just want to spend money without knowing what you might expect.

If you buy anything other than an EV-specific tire, you're almost guaranteed to lose range, even if you go down in size.

The EPA ratings themselves don’t make sense. Because if you look it up on the EPA website they quote the 3 Performance as using 30 kWh/100 mi aka 300 Wh/mi combined. Which translates to approximately ~271 mi assuming ~81 kWh usable battery.

The difference in EPA figures between the LR (which comes with 18s with low-rolling-restistance All-Season tires) and the P (which comes with 20s with low-rolling-resistance UHP Summer Tires) would be a good place to start.

Unless you just want to spend money without knowing what you might expect.

If you buy anything other than an EV-specific tire, you're almost guaranteed to lose range, even if you go down in size.
The performance epa is based on summer 20 inch tires though right? Not all season 20 inch tires? Seems like there could be a 5 - 10 mile increase from the 315 epa with the less grippy all seasons

Which could give an epa of 320 - 325 vs 18 inch wheels giving me 358 epa

I really like the look of these 20 inch wheels

Something else that surprised me is I lose more miles just sitting parked and playing with the screen while the AC runs than I expected

I thought doing this I would lose maybe 1 mile of estimated range per hour but it seems more like I’m losing 1 mile every 15 mins doing this

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Something else that surprised me is I lose more miles just sitting parked and playing with the screen while the AC runs than I expected

I thought doing this I would lose maybe 1 mile of estimated range per hour but it seems more like I’m losing 1 mile every 15 mins doing this
I have the S3XY buttons and the Teslogic display which allows me to monitor power draw for all of the systems in real-time. The heating and cooling system is able to draw up to 12 KW in extreme situations. That is a very significant amount of power.

IMG_1852.jpeg
IMG_1851.png

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
The EPA ratings themselves don’t make sense. Because if you look it up on the EPA website they quote the 3 Performance as using 30 kWh/100 mi aka 300 Wh/mi combined. Which translates to approximately ~271 mi assuming ~81 kWh usable battery.
There are several different EPA ratings that mean different things. That 300 wh/mi is what you would typically see in real world “combined” driving.

The range estimate is based off of 250 wh/mi which is much less realistic unless you are driving at slower constant speeds.

I have the S3XY buttons and the Teslogic display which allows me to monitor power draw for all of the systems in real-time. The heating and cooling system is able to draw up to 12 KW in extreme situations. That is a very significant amount of power.

View attachment 1014031View attachment 1014032
I thought that new S3XY knob looked good I thought about getting it

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
And multiple people have told you how you could do it, and that it’s not realistic, and yet you keep asking….

Given your extreme focus on range and efficiency, your screen name is humorous…
Again, this individual is obviously new and is just trying to learn. Perhaps this thread isn't the best use of your time. Might I suggest scrolling to the top and clicking the "Unwatch" button?

Unwatch.PNG

• Funny
Reactions: Zcd1
There was a very good (albeit lengthy) post on this that I keep bookmarked:
This is good info thanks

That number includes charging losses. It is the AC electricity consumed at the EVSE supply. You can't use that to estimate range or battery capacity.

The correct number to use to get rated is the line that shows up on the energy screen that is labeled as "Rated".

Reactions: Zythryn and E90alex
I would still increase the range I would get otherwise though right

Like maybe I’d get 270 doing that instead of 240 with the right tires

I would like to keep these 20s because I like the way they look more than I thought I would, but I originally planned to get ev01 18 inch wheels for the performance so I would get more range but if I get some all season 20s I’m not sure if the difference between that and the 18s would be worth it or not

I’m curious to see the range difference between all season 20s and all season 18s

This is not really the best mindset for road tripping in a Tesla.

Don't try to micro-manage your 100%-0% max range. Instead, look at your route, find a delightful charging station about half way along your travels, drive there at whatever pace you prefer, stop and charge from 20% to 90% in 30 minutes while getting a snack, and then finish your trip. The end

This is not really the best mindset for road tripping in a Tesla.

Don't try to micro-manage your 100%-0% max range. Instead, look at your route, find a delightful charging station about half way along your travels, drive there at whatever pace you prefer, stop and charge from 20% to 90% in 30 minutes while getting a snack, and then finish your trip. The end
I like having a good buffer for unexpected stops, traffic jams, and wrong turns. That’s only reason I would like to have as much as possible for a road trip

Could easily take a wrong turn and add 10-20 miles to your next stop

I like having a good buffer for unexpected stops, traffic jams, and wrong turns. That’s only reason I would like to have as much as possible for a road trip

traffic jams typically extend your range - EV's are crazy efficient at 0mph to 25 mph stop-and-go work

Use the navigation to your destination and you get pretty-darn accurate estimates of range-remaining-on-arrival which factor in weather, your driving style, traffic, elevation, etc. If the estimate starts to run low, you can always just drive a bit slower or grab a nearer charger for a top up. The best thing about Tesla is the charging network - it is fabulous

Reactions: E90alex
That must be it because it was 32 degrees that morning even though it warmed up to 60 degrees by noon it must have still been remembering it was 32 when I started driving

It doesn't remember the temperature from the morning, it goes by battery temperature which is rarely the same as the ambient temperature unless the car has been parked for a full day or more. If it was 32 in the morning, it was likely even colder at night. The battery cooled down quite a bit. The battery doesn't warm up with the ambient temperature within a few hours. It takes a long time.

I disagree completely on your first paragraph. These Hankook iON EVO AS tires make a MASSIVE difference. Their 6% gain claims are honestly pessimistic if you are switching from summer to all season tires.

I have done controlled testing with all of the tires I have tried and these Hankook tires were 18% more efficient than the stock 20” summer tires and at least 6% more efficient than the 18” summer tires I had before.

I can easily exceed the EPA numbers with a 60 mph average speed now. I probably wouldn’t go below the EPA numbers until a 65+ mph average speed.

I have literally done a 283 mile trip with 16 miles left without charging in a 2022 Model 3 Performance. That wasn’t even with the Hankook tires either. I think I could easily exceed 300 miles now and that is with 10%+ degradation.

Speed is all that matters. If you are doing 80+ mph you are going to have terrible efficiency. If you are doing 60 mph or less then you will match or exceed the EPA numbers with the right wheels and tires.

The issue is that the EPA test isn’t representative of real world driving styles in most of the country.

View attachment 1013568

That is an impressive improvement. Now what if those Hankooks were in a 235/45 R18 size? I stand by my original statement. All other things equal a wider tire will produce more aerodynamic drag.

That is an impressive improvement. Now what if those Hankooks were in a 235/45 R18 size? I stand by my original statement. All other things equal a wider tire will produce more aerodynamic drag.
It sure what you are asking. The Hankooks were in a 235/45/18 size. However, I have tried 245/40/18 Pirelli tires which were actually more efficient than the 235/45/18 Michelin PS4S tires but not anywhere near as efficient as the 235/45/18 Hankook all season tires.

Tread width doesn’t affect efficiency a lot. Tread composition and design matter the most for efficiency.