Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

290mi at max charge after 6 months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2021 MYP just turned 6 months old, I observed the range of charge to the border between “daily” and “trip” decreased over time, from 271 to 259.
Today, I played around on the app and moved the bar to max, and it shows 290, vs 303, so I lost 12-13mi in 6 months, expected?

Since delivery, i have been charging at the supercharging station to that daily/trip border whenever it gets down to 150 or below, and have not charged to max except once for a short trip.

thx

My 2021 MYP just turned 6 months old, I observed the range of charge to the border between “daily” and “trip” decreased over time, from 271 to 259.
Today, I played around on the app and moved the bar to max, and it shows 290, vs 303, so I lost 12-13mi in 6 months, expected?

Since delivery, i have been charging at the supercharging station to that daily/trip border whenever it gets down to 150 or below, and have not charged to max except once for a short trip.

thx
I wouldn’t pay much attention. For reference I have 8k miles and mine was showing 306 full which would be a 20 mile loss in range. I start toying with different soc and now I’m back at 316 full. Lots of forum posts about this. Just the bcm guessing what you really have in the pack. Only way to know for sure is to drain the pack down and then full charge a couple times. I just changed ours to % of battery and ignore the mileage rating. It isn’t true anyway.

I wouldn’t pay much attention. For reference I have 8k miles and mine was showing 306 full which would be a 20 mile loss in range. I start toying with different soc and now I’m back at 316 full. Lots of forum posts about this. Just the bcm guessing what you really have in the pack. Only way to know for sure is to drain the pack down and then full charge a couple times. I just changed ours to % of battery and ignore the mileage rating. It isn’t true anyway.
Thank you for the info and advice.

This is the correct answer.

There’s no way to know exactly how much is in there battery so it’s a guess by the battery management software.

I agree with the advice to change to the % display in the car. I just did a one time calc of what minimum % I was comfortable with (eg, across town and back + 5%). And then never thought about the range projection again. For daily driving, it doesn’t matter (except maybe that minimum) and for road trips, the trip computer (and ABRP) report to you in %s anyway. So once you get used to it, it saves a lot of brain cells.

Had mine MYP for 8 month and the rated range never went anywhere near 305 - always hovered around 265-275ish. I always charge it to 80% on a daily basis. Do you think I need to have the service center take a look at the battery health?

Attachments

• IMG_2603.jpg
    IMG_2603.jpg
    760.7 KB · Views: 196
Reactions: Velcade
Had mine MYP for 8 month and the rated range never went anywhere near 305 - always hovered around 265-275ish. I always charge it to 80% on a daily basis. Do you think I need to have the service center take a look at the battery health?
It's almost certainly because you charge it every day and never let the car go to sleep for 7-8 hours at both low and high charge levels. That just about guarantees that the BMS has no idea what the real battery capacity is. Let it drain to 20-30% and not charge it overnight, and charge it up to 90-100% every now and then, and ensure that the car goes to sleep (e.g. sentry mode turned off).

There's a massive amount of posts about this.

Talk to Tesla once you drop below about 204 rated miles (wasn't 291 the max rated range? I guess it's not clear whether you had the 82kWh pack or not, but probably not, so not clear what your 100% was, and I don't know whether a software update changed the constant from the initial (77.8kWh/291mile) value at some point). Sounds to me like you got a bad pack, but it is what it is.

Easy to verify - drive the car continuously (no stopping!!!) from 100% to 10% or so, and use the formula TripEnergy/0.9/0.99/0.955 = Pack Capacity. Probably around 71kWh for you, if you should have been at 77.8kWh originally.

See whether the range at 100% adjusts. You can also see whether the energy screen calculation adjusts.

I am pretty skeptical of the claims that this is BMS miscalibration. However, it DOES happen (rarely!). You can do the steps to ensure your car sleeps (must turn off Sentry, etc.), at a variety of SOCs, but I doubt it will do much unless you have very unusual use patterns and never drop below 60% SoC or something.

Of course, the BMS can be off by a couple kWh, that's common (5-10 rated miles). But this sort of discrepancy you are seeing is unlikely to be simply a misestimation. And occasionally Tesla seems to change the software and that can cause shifts in the estimate (seems less common these days since I think they understand the pack's voltage & temperature characteristics better now?).

Try the steps recommended (drain pack, let it sleep, charge it up to a lower SOC, let it sleep, exercise a different SOC range, etc., etc.), but I wouldn't hold your breath.

But, DO report back after you try these things. Sleeping is obvious - you'll hear the contactors closing routinely when you get to your car, and the app response will become routinely sluggish. If you don't see/hear these behaviors, you need to change your car configuration to ensure it is sleeping. But again, don't hold your breath. The BMS needs to have a decent idea of remaining energy, whether it is allowed to sleep or not.

The good news is that the 9% capacity loss you are seeing is fairly common. The unusual thing about your situation is that you apparently started there, so I worry about the prospects for you a year or two for now. Keep us posted. No reason to contact Tesla until about 205 miles at a full charge.

Last edited:
Right now my DISPLAYED range in the GOM bounces between 302 and 304. When new the most I saw was 312 (Tesla/EPA claimed 316). But the REAL test is charging to 100% and driving to as near ZERO as you can stand and see how many kW's you can pull from the battery. The number of miles in the GOM is just that - A GUESS.

FYI, we recently took a long road trip (1900 miles) and we had a long leg between SuperChargers along our route so I charged to FULL (99% indicated) and when we arrived at the next SuperCharger we had driven 199 miles (plug to plug) and consumed 55 kW and the GOM said we arrived with 19% capacity left.

HcoZcmX.jpg

Maybe someone can analyze these numbers and tell me what this means about the health of my battery? I have a 2020 LR AWD Y am told I have about 72.5 kW of available power, don't really know what the nominal pack size is.

Similar situation. I charge to 80% every day. My typical usage goes from 80% - 45% My max 303mi after 10 months and 13k miles.

1626359617235.png

Right now my DISPLAYED range in the GOM bounces between 302 and 304. When new the most I saw was 312 (Tesla/EPA claimed 316). But the REAL test is charging to 100% and driving to as near ZERO as you can stand and see how many kW's you can pull from the battery. The number of miles in the GOM is just that - A GUESS.

FYI, we recently took a long road trip (1900 miles) and we had a long leg between SuperChargers along our route so I charged to FULL (99% indicated) and when we arrived at the next SuperCharger we had driven 199 miles (plug to plug) and consumed 55 kW and the GOM said we arrived with 19% capacity left.

HcoZcmX.jpg

Maybe someone can analyze these numbers and tell me what this means about the health of my battery? I have a 2020 LR AWD Y am told I have about 72.5 kW of available power, don't really know what the nominal pack size is.
It’s not a GOM. That term has a different meaning that does not apply to the Tesla’s gauge, which estimates remaining energy.

I think your vehicle got a boost on “range” to 326mi with a software update that actually changed the constant (others correct me if wrong).

So 303/326 *77.8kWh = 72.3kWh

Or:

55kWh/0.8/0.99/0.955 = 72.7kWh

Original battery capacity was nominally 77.8kWh or so.

The only place that I look at charge in miles of range is in the battery degradation page of TeslaFi. Otherwise, I stick to %SOC, as it is the only measure that is correct, and near to constant. My first Tesla was a 2020 Model 3, which I traded after nearly a year of ownership for a 2021 Model Y. Both were dual motor, long range. Battery capacity for both cars has followed the same trend. Above average, relative to the fleet, during our mild Pensacola winters, with a dip in capacity as we moved into our hot and humid summers. I'll use the Model Y as the example. It went from upper third, relative to fleet, to lower third, during the second week in May. This was at about 6000 miles, and as the first summer heat rolled in. Now, at 8900 miles, it is in the lowest 25%. It will be interesting to see what happens starting in November. The more interesting thing, though, is that I have noticed no actual loss of range on the highway. I make frequent trips to and from Tallahassee, a round trip of about 400 miles - not including local driving. I find myself pulling into the same Superchargers with the same SOC that I have seen since October - and starting from the same SOC in both directions. In other words, my range over the road has not diminished in any noticeable way, even though my total degradation on the chart is nearing 8%. Long getting to my point here, but we worry too much about range. Just get in the car, pay attention to the energy consumption chart on your screen, and enjoy the drive. Loving my car. Cheers.

It’s not a GOM. That term has a different meaning that does not apply to the Tesla’s gauge, which estimates remaining energy.

I think your vehicle got a boost on “range” to 326mi with a software update that actually changed the constant (others correct me if wrong).

So 303/326 *77.8kWh = 72.3kWh

Or:

55kWh/0.8/0.99/0.955 = 72.7kWh

Original battery capacity was nominally 77.8kWh or so.
I received the SW update but NEVER saw any difference in the range as displayed in the car. Thanks for the math. So if I read your formulas correctly I don't have any battery degradation after 12 months or 81xx miles?

I received the SW update but NEVER saw any difference in the range as displayed in the car. Thanks for the math. So if I read your formulas correctly I don't have any battery degradation after 12 months or 81xx miles?

Not sure what to make of the no change in range. Would have to see data from tracking 3rd party apps probably.

You seem to have about 6.5% capacity loss. There's some uncertainty because I don't know what your vehicle constant is but easy enough to check via the energy screen methods, etc. Also your actual discharge on that long trip provides evidence supporting about a 73kWh capacity.

Not sure what to make of the no change in range. Would have to see data from tracking 3rd party apps probably.

You seem to have about 6.5% capacity loss. There's some uncertainty because I don't know what your vehicle constant is but easy enough to check via the energy screen methods, etc. Also your actual discharge on that long trip provides evidence supporting about a 73kWh capacity.

I should add that if indeed you didn't have an increase in range (meaning no change in the constant for your 2020 vehicle, just efficiency improvements), then your capacity loss is a bit lower, more like 4% - but that doesn't align with your trip meter results (I'm assuming on that 199.3 mile segment you did not stop at all for a break). If you did stop, then you could have had some unmetered energy use there, and that would throw off that calculation and make 4% more likely.

2021 MYP March build, 82kwh pack. 6,000 miles on odometer. My estimated mileage varies quite a bit, between 280-300mi. Sometimes the 100% SOC estimate will show low 280s, other times it will be in 290s. It’s interesting how mine varies so much with such few miles, but I’m not overly worried about that low number. Daily charge usually set between 60-80% except for trips I charge 100%

I routinely take a 225mi all highway trip door-to-door with this car, and although my number estimate has dropped under 300mi at 100% charge, what is interesting to me is that my SOC on arrival has essentially remained unchanged since it was new on this predictable/repeatable drive. Typically driving 78-80mph on autopilot, using 310-320ish wh/mi, 71-73Kw from trip computer, and have always arrived with a few percent remaining.

This means that my usable range in the car has not actually degraded like the BMS sometimes suggests when displaying lower EPA mileage estimate numbers at me.

Attachments

• A43E42AD-44D8-4030-888A-F496986F8556.jpeg
    A43E42AD-44D8-4030-888A-F496986F8556.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 166
Reactions: jpfive