Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2ND Brand new M3LR Highland with vibration ! Anyone else with the same car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so I went to Wolverhampton service centre and the service technician and the manager were both extremely helpful and I wish I had met them when I bought my highland in march as I am sure I would not had ending up rejecting the car (they only opened in may). the reason I say this is because when I was visiting the other service centres during march I had suggested to the service centres that we should try the 19" alloys of the previous model 3 and see if I had any vibrations but they chose to ignore me, which meant the problems were not fixed so I ending up rejecting the car and ordering a new model 3.

As you know from the initial thread even the new highland that I collected on Wednesday had the exact same issues but this time when I visited the Wolverhampton service centre and I was able to show the technician the fault on a test drive and suggested that we swap the wheels with the previous gen model 3 they agreed and when we went for a test drive the vibrations had felt like they had gone. Now I am not 100% sure of that and that's because I need to be doing 67mph plus and due to the traffic on the motorway I was only able to achieve that a few times and for about 10-20 seconds but I am confident that swapping the wheels has made a big difference. When I returned to the SC I was advised that first all the wheels will be balanced using the newer road force machine and also the wheels will be checked for alignment because I feel the steering is not perfectly level and then I need to try the car and if the vibrations are still there then the service manager will get approval to replace all 4 tyres (long winded but that unfortunately for me is the process)

If it does turn out that replacing all the tyre fixes the issues for me then I will be so cheesed off at Tesla as I asked them to try the older wheels and they ignored me, which meant I had to reject the car then I had to buy a cheap run around for a few thousand and pay for insurance, cancel my Tesla insurance etc until my new Tesla come and all this could have been avoided had they did what Wolverhampton SC are now doing/done. so far I have lost about 4K and will be writing to Tesla for some sort of compensation as all this happened because there service centres were not competent enough to apply some common sense in trying to diagnose a fault.

hopefully next week I will know 100% if the vibrations have finally been cleared.

ps I personally think that these new generation hancook tyres are to blame as my previous 2022 LR had the 19" hancook tyres and I had 2 years of trouble free driving and those same tyres were also on the donor car we took the wheels from for our test drive. I am pretty sure the old generation were T0 and the new gen tyres are T1 and the new gen have an issue with flat spots during transportation as other members have suggested.

Well, I got my M3LR yesterday, and this morning went to Luton airport - about an hour and a half round trip. I can't feel any issues with the steering. A tiny vibration perhaps, but that's probably due to road surface feedback. I was also impresssed with the consumption - 220 wh/mile. That's a lot better than my 2019 M3P.

2nd long drive today and I’m not absolutely sure there is a vibration worth reporting.

I’ve got a service visit on the 27th but I’ll see how it goes over the next few days. If there is a vibration I’ll request an earlier date considering it’s a new car.

Had a call from Tesla today to say that their European headquarters have sent them instructions on how to fix the issue of vibrations and they say that this is due to flat spots on the tyres and they recommended that they lower the tyre pressure to 27psi and drive the car for 50 miles to fix the issue. This has really pissed me off as they want are basically saying that the tyres have been damaged due to flat spots and we will basically repair the tyres and give you back the car. I did my research and this is on michelins website

Semi-permanent tyre flat-spotting occurs after a complete standstill of at least four weeks. It can be aggravated if your car has had to withstand an additional weight load for a longer duration of time. This situation should not be taken lightly, as flat-spot tyres have a significantly higher chance of puncturing when driving.
Our expert advice: If your tyre shows signs of flat-spotting, make an appointment to service your car at a garage immediately. If it is not possible right away, change the tyres as quickly as possible to avoid irrevocable damage.

it angers me that Tesla expect me now to drive a car thats had damage of flat spotting and then have driven the car for 50 miles at speeds of 50-70mph, which will do god knows what damage to the sidewalls, and then use the car with my 2 and 3 year old and have confidence that they tyres are perfectly fine !!!

Had a call from Tesla today to say that their European headquarters have sent them instructions on how to fix the issue of vibrations and they say that this is due to flat spots on the tyres and they recommended that they lower the tyre pressure to 27psi and drive the car for 50 miles to fix the issue. This has really pissed me off as they want are basically saying that the tyres have been damaged due to flat spots and we will basically repair the tyres and give you back the car. I did my research and this is on michelins website

Semi-permanent tyre flat-spotting occurs after a complete standstill of at least four weeks. It can be aggravated if your car has had to withstand an additional weight load for a longer duration of time. This situation should not be taken lightly, as flat-spot tyres have a significantly higher chance of puncturing when driving.

it angers me that Tesla expect me now to drive a car thats had damage of flat spotting and then have driven the car for 50 miles at speeds of 50-70mph, which will do god knows what damage to the sidewalls, and then use the car with my 2 and 3 year old and have confidence that they tyres are perfectly fine !!!
You're being a bit over-dramatic. The slight flat spotting these tyres suffer from won't do any damage to the sidewalls and why do you think you're more likely to get punctures? It's annoying at most, but certainly not dangerous to drive on them. 27 psi is a bit low though IMO. OK to drive on for short distances and without putting any significant lateral load on them, but that's about it. Maybe double check the pressure they recommended and ask for it in writing.

Reactions: Clivew and GRiLLA
Well if they're already up to 47psi, as someone said above, there's not much headroom left as the max. inflation pressure is likely to be 50psi or so.
I'm thinking this has become a problem recently due to the compounds EV/Eco tyres are being made from.
Perhaps some particular mixes of rubbers, silica and the other eco-friendly materials used now means the tread blocks don't recover as quickly from being deformed as in the past.

You're being a bit over-dramatic. The slight flat spotting these tyres suffer from won't do any damage to the sidewalls and why do you think you're more likely to get punctures? It's annoying at most, but certainly not dangerous to drive on them. 27 psi is a bit low though IMO. OK to drive on for short distances and without putting any significant lateral load on them, but that's about it. Maybe double check the pressure they recommended and ask for it in writing.
I have done some research and when a car has been stationary under heavy load (I think being strapped down tightly to the floor of a ship for a month that is being thrashed about in the sea constitutes that)can form "semi permanent" flat spots and its recommended to replace the tyres. I also personally think its a tad bit shitty that spending £54k on a car with tyres that have been damaged and then expect the customer to drive for 50 miles at 27psi to "fix" the tyres. Maybe you are right I am being a bit"over-dramatic" but I don’t know about you but I prefer that the only piece of the car that actually touches the road are in perfect order.

I have done some research and when a car has been stationary under heavy load (I think being strapped down tightly to the floor of a ship for a month that is being thrashed about in the sea constitutes that)can form "semi permanent" flat spots and its recommended to replace the tyres. I also personally think its a tad bit shitty that spending £54k on a car with tyres that have been damaged and then expect the customer to drive for 50 miles at 27psi to "fix" the tyres. Maybe you are right I am being a bit"over-dramatic" but I don’t know about you but I prefer that the only piece of the car that actually touches the road are in perfect order.
Slight flat-spotting certainly doesn't mean you always have to replace the tyres. All the tyre manufacturers have advice on this if you do a bit more research.
As I said above, it could be the newer EV tyres are more prone to it, but if the easiest fix is to take some air out and drive on them for a bit I don't think it's too unreasonable for them to tell you that. I do think 27 psi is a bit low though.

Would you expect a car dealer to replace all your tyres if you parked it up for a month and got flat spots that way?

Reactions: Adopado