Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2Q 2013 Model S Deliveries Potential Surprise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems a little late in the quarter to start hiring for a end of quarter push. Does this point to a more permanent increase in production?

I think it must be, which makes this quite explosive news. It means that they are adding a production shift about 5 months earlier than they had planned. That in turn should mean:

1. They are über-confident in the demand
2. They are going to deliver some 5-6.000 more cars this year than guided

I just sold some puts and bought some calls. :)

Tesla is adding a 3rd shift now?

I don't think they're adding a third shift. Just examine where the 574 open positions are located. Here's the link to the listings: Careers | Tesla Motors

211 openings in Europe
184 openings in US Service Centers and Stores
78 openings in the Deer Creek HQ
101 openings in the Freemont Factory

To get back to the OT, I think there is still a strong likelihood for a 2Q Deliveries surprise on the + side.

Looks like the first batch of european production got the missin VINs

Why would you think that any European orders are missing VINs...with one exception, the only VINs I've seen reported from Europe have all been in the 14xxx + range. It looks to me like TESLA got to about 14000 built in Q2 and then started on the European orders.

Based on 100M delivery of Model S cells from Panasonic (link in battery thread), I can come up with following number of total pack development to get a rough idea on # of Model Ss being built.

100000000 Cells
60% 85kw - 7700 cells
40% 60kw (includes 40kw) - 5600 cells

Calculation shows Tesla built around 14500 cells if no cell is wasted. To be a bit precise, the number should reflect the end of month battery pack tally. Rewind 4-6 weeks and you still get ~13000+ Model S built.

85 kWh pack uses 7,104 if none are wasted. Surely some are rejected as manufacturing variances, but even at 1% we're looking at under 7,200.

Based on 100M delivery of Model S cells from Panasonic (link in battery thread), I can come up with following number of total pack development to get a rough idea on # of Model Ss being built.

100000000 Cells
60% 85kw - 7700 cells
40% 60kw (includes 40kw) - 5600 cells

Calculation shows Tesla built around 14500 cells if no cell is wasted. To be a bit precise, the number should reflect the end of month battery pack tally. Rewind 4-6 weeks and you still get ~13000+ Model S built.

Plus stationary packs for SC, plus packs built for Toyota and Mercedes, plus warranty and parts inventory packs for Roadster and MS. Plus research and development. Panasonic data is a weak signal.

I meant to say battery packs.

Updated calculations considering 1% bad cells.

7,300.0060%85kw15,479.88
5,200.0040%60kw
This method is never going to be precise but would help generate rough estimate. Plus, battery pack generation could happen way beforehand(weeks) than actual production of the cars. Still, the ballpark number suggests there have been 13000+ Model S packs created/used.