Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3% Price increase across the board

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same here. From the sound of it the price of the car could go up by as much as $3500 ($1500 3% adjustment for dual motor red w/white interior + $2K autopilot price increase?). Very confusing and frustrating. What is muddling things here are all the obnoxious economically illiterate legacy owners who whine and complain about price drops and I can't tell if Elon was talking about their price to upgrade or the price of new owners for EAP/AP.

I never quite understood the pay more if you buy it later... in my mind..software also depreciates... you know..like windows 8 today is less expensive than it was 7 years ago because windows 10 is out... so for legacy owners to think tesla shouldn't drop the price after 2-3 years is weird because there's always going to be new versions of the car and software... I get it if you don't purchase with the car its more expensive for the first 1-2 years but if I decide to add it 3 years or later then it should probably cost less in my opinion. Plus Tesla would earn more money because there's no way most people would add FSD for 7k x number of years after buying the car...but if they dropped it to 3 or 4k thats still going to make tesla money and users will probably want to add it .. its called exclusive access you pay more for something that you want to be the first to have...I do agree however since FSD hasn't been delivered Tesla should have given legacy owners who paid full price for fsd a refund for the difference or free supercharging etc. Quite honestly once the technology is stable enough they should move to a subscription service...like x amount per month to have FSD...there's times of the year I probably won't need it but it would be nice to have it on months I will be traveling more etc.

I'm stuck between a rock and hard place trying to determine if I should order my LR AWD before monday vs waiting (I have a lease with 5 more payments and anticipated doing it in June for the $3750 tax rebate). I guess the 3% increase in itself would be like almost $2k for this spec. If they push the "basic" autopilot up from $3k to $5k that's another $2k.

I'm stuck between a rock and hard place trying to determine if I should order my LR AWD before monday vs waiting (I have a lease with 5 more payments and anticipated doing it in June for the $3750 tax rebate). I guess the 3% increase in itself would be like almost $2k for this spec. If they push the "basic" autopilot up from $3k to $5k that's another $2k.

I am on the same boat!! My Lincoln MKC lease is up June 6th. Was planning on ordering May so I'd have Model 3 in june and wouldn't spend extra ordering this week etc. If I order this month I can save 2k on Tesla but I would have to trigger the buy out clause on the current lease, finance that to buy the car...then sell it off and maybe pay a small difference from lease buy out to what the seller pays for it.. I may still be better off though cause I would save 2k on Tesla. Or I could just pay the rest of the lease out and return it. I was really looking forward to current prices in May. Now they are saying prices will rise and so will AP and FSD though it hasn't been clarified..why would they raise AP from 3k to anything higher since AP is now just lane keeping and adaptive cruise...it doesn't even do automatic lane changing or navigate on auto pilot... the new AP for $3k is fair... if they raise it up to 4k or 5k it would in theory be more expensive than the EAP they sold for 5k months ago which had way more features. For LR AWD we would now pay 2k more for the car and then possibly additional for AP which is what I was looking at. I was looking at 52k out the door for White LR AWD with AP. now itll be more like 54-55k.

I am on the same boat!! My Lincoln MKC lease is up June 6th. Was planning on ordering May so I'd have Model 3 in june and wouldn't spend extra ordering this week etc. If I order this month I can save 2k on Tesla but I would have to trigger the buy out clause on the current lease, finance that to buy the car...then sell it off and maybe pay a small difference from lease buy out to what the seller pays for it.. I may still be better off though cause I would save 2k on Tesla. Or I could just pay the rest of the lease out and return it. I was really looking forward to current prices in May. Now they are saying prices will rise and so will AP and FSD though it hasn't been clarified..why would they raise AP from 3k to anything higher since AP is now just lane keeping and adaptive cruise...it doesn't even do automatic lane changing or navigate on auto pilot... the new AP for $3k is fair... if they raise it up to 4k or 5k it would in theory be more expensive than the EAP they sold for 5k months ago which had way more features. For LR AWD we would now pay 2k more for the car and then possibly additional for AP which is what I was looking at. I was looking at 52k out the door for White LR AWD with AP. now itll be more like 54-55k.
Why not just pay the 2 remaining payments on the lease?

I have April 1 payment, May 1 payment, and June 6 payment. That's about $1600. I have to read the clause if I can just pay them the remaining payments and return the car or if they will have some sort of penalty. If there isn't I am guessing it would be smart to pay the lease off and order the model 3...return the lease when model 3 comes in in 3-4 weeks. I would save money with current prices but I'd have to deal with terminating the lease 3 payments before and hopefully them being okay with it and letting me keep the car while I wait for tesla... which I guess they should since I am paying for the months I still owe up front. Reason I would probably want to pay off lease is so it disappears from my credit / I have prove its paid off so financing is easier either thru tesla or a CU. The problem is right now I have 3500 bucks to spend... by May-June I was going to have about 7k. So if I have to prepay the lease 1600...that leaves me with 1900...just shy of tesla deposit...I can add another 1000 but I don't want to dig in to my savings ..... it was just going to be much easier to order in May...and put 7k down...then return lease in June and pick up tesla.

Fantastic job, everyone!

Classic example of "be careful what you wish for - you just might get it."

You got what you wanted. Egos feel better now?

Technically what I wanted was a $3000 refund. I'm apparently only getting a $1000 refund though, so I didn't quite get what I wanted.

On the other hand I can talk myself into that being reasonable for 2 reasons:

1) The 3k discount only went to folks who never bought EAP at all- and I've gotten to enjoy the hell out of having EAP for almost 6 months now... (it's the main reason I bought the thing) so I'm at least getting price parity with the recent pricing for EAP owners upgrading to FSD.

2) Since I know Tesla won't be smart enough to require me to agree to any change in terms to take the refund I'm still the owner of "real" FSD as it was defined at the time of my original purchase, so if Tesla later decides to say "Remember that whole original FSD you bought? we decided we can't do that with your HW" I'll still be in a position to either insist on further free HW upgrades, or at least get my remaining 2k back then.

Just throwing this out there...

I was on the phone with support today to try and figure out an issue I had with an order I placed last night. Long story short, I told them I wanted to try and figure it out ASAP as the prices were going up on Monday. She told me that prices were only going up on the S and X and not the 3. Im not sure if she is misinformed or if things have changed. Take it with a grain of salt.

• Informative
Reactions: Big-T

You might have meant it differently, but just to be sure you know the $3750 is not a "rebate".

It's a tax credit IF you owe taxes for 2019. The $3750 is the maximum tax credit but it does not give you an instant refund and it's definitely not a rebate.

Reactions: cwerdna
You might have meant it differently, but just to be sure you know the $3750 is not a "rebate".

It's a tax credit IF you owe taxes for 2019. The $3750 is the maximum tax credit but it does not give you an instant refund and it's definitely not a rebate.

Now I know not everyone here is a tax consultant but say I usually owe about 1300 in taxes come tax time since my wife works an extra 1099 job...she pays about 1300 every year out of pocket to cover the taxes from that income. So what if I set up our payroll on our w2 jobs to take less taxes out such as instead of putting 0 exemptions change it to more so they take less and thus we get bigger paychecks and come tax time we owe 5grand instead of 1300....would the model 3 tax credit then cover that? So essential it becomes a rebate at that point since it would cover what we owe irs?

Now I know not everyone here is a tax consultant but say I usually owe about 1300 in taxes come tax time since my wife works an extra 1099 job...she pays about 1300 every year out of pocket to cover the taxes from that income. So what if I set up our payroll on our w2 jobs to take less taxes out such as instead of putting 0 exemptions change it to more so they take less and thus we get bigger paychecks and come tax time we owe 5grand instead of 1300....would the model 3 tax credit then cover that? So essential it becomes a rebate at that point since it would cover what we owe irs?

Your tax liability is not just what you or your wife pay in taxes in April. Your taxes get deducted from every W2 paycheck. The Model 3 credit covers the overall tax liability. If you under withhold during the year, you have the risk of paying underpayment penalties.

Your tax liability is not just what you or your wife pay in taxes in April. Your taxes get deducted from every W2 paycheck. The Model 3 credit covers the overall tax liability. If you under withhold during the year, you have the risk of paying underpayment penalties.

SO how would I get the best benefit, or actually get the full 3750 credit to pay towards w.e I owe or get refund or w.e? In other words how could I get the full 3750?

**Edit. NVM I figured it out. We would get the full credit since our tax obligation is more than enough.

Last edited:
SO how would I get the best benefit, or actually get the full 3750 credit to pay towards w.e I owe or get refund or w.e? In other words how could I get the full 3750?

You need to have a tax liability of at least $3750.

how much you deduct from paychecks has nothing whatsoever to do with this

payroll deductions are just a way of pre-paying your tax liability- it doesn't change the tax liability for the year, just how much of it you need to come up with by April 15th of the next year.

The EV tax credit offsets your liability.

Reactions: dmurphy

**Edit. NVM I figured it out. We would get the full credit since our tax obligation is more than enough.
Basically, if you are earning more than $50000 per year, your tax liability is likely to be more than $4000, so you will get the credit.

How do so many know so little about taxes that they pay every year?

hey i am learning as much as I can, I do my taxes every year I just didn't know exactly how the credit worked as I was confused. I read online and now I understand. My wife and I make over 90k a year plus we have side gigs that are 1099 that we have to pay additional taxes come tax time...so the EV credit will be applied at full for us. :) I have to buy a car in June. I was thinking of waiting for Model Y but now it seems like deliveries won't come till Spring 2021 since production is fall 2020...guessing I will pull trigger on an LR RWD with AP and then change it for a Model Y in 2022 :/ cause I don't want to keep driving an ICE, I spend 150-200 in gas per month....would rather give that money to tesla and help environment a bit :/

hey i am learning as much as I can, I do my taxes every year I just didn't know exactly how the credit worked as I was confused. I read online and now I understand. My wife and I make over 90k a year plus we have side gigs that are 1099 that we have to pay additional taxes come tax time...so the EV credit will be applied at full for us. :) I have to buy a car in June. I was thinking of waiting for Model Y but now it seems like deliveries won't come till Spring 2021 since production is fall 2020...guessing I will pull trigger on an LR RWD with AP and then change it for a Model Y in 2022 :/ cause I don't want to keep driving an ICE, I spend 150-200 in gas per month....would rather give that money to tesla and help environment a bit :/

Don't know what was up with that leasing a 3 news, but might want to see if that comes up sooner rather than later for your situation.

Don't know what was up with that leasing a 3 news, but might want to see if that comes up sooner rather than later for your situation.

Yeah I currently have a lease that ends June 6th. I would definitely consider a Model 3 lease. I've been pretty good with my 15k mile allowance. Though maybe getting a Tesla I might want to drive it more than normal hahaha but yes lease would save some on the monthly and I'd have the option to walk right into a model Y 2021 without having to worry too much about depreciation on the 3 etc.