Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

30% tint all around, too light, too dark, or just enough for the back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did llumar ceramic 30% front and 15% rear windows. Very happy with it. More comfortable in the back, but it's already hard to see out the front side windows at 30% (especially with the dimming side mirrors), so I wouldn't recommend doing darker than that.
20191002_150744.jpg

Reactions: jawnly211
Sure. It is subjective, and it looks strange.

Why would you NOT want to do your back window? It cuts down on headlights behind you and it's such a large window and helps with privacy and heat rejection. With backup cameras now there's no issue backing up at night. I used to have vehicles back years ago before backup cameras and ran 5% tint, that was fun.

Clearly there are those that do not mind the look/feel of an un-tinted back and are not affected by the other issues as much. You can get the heat rejection without the light reduction if so desired. Super dark tint is no longer needed for good heat/UV protection.

There's also the cost of doing the rear, and some people don't want to make the top darker than it is, and some people are bothered by the refraction off the defroster lines. Whatever the reason is, there are reasons for not doing the tint, and I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I have 15% Llumar with White Interior. Slightly darker than what I thought it would look like

Ideally should have gone with 30% and would be perfect. Still looks nice but I wanted the white interior to be shown a little more from the side windows and not just pure darkness (depending on the light)

Oh well. I just roll the windows down instead to flex

I ended up with 30% all around and 80% windshield as originally planned in my original post. It turns out to be really nice, although maybe I would have done slightly darker on the back side windows and back window, like 20%. It's not a big deal however, I can still notice a huge difference in terms of sun brightness and heat rejection.

I have 15% Llumar with White Interior. Slightly darker than what I thought it would look like

Ideally should have gone with 30% and would be perfect. Still looks nice but I wanted the white interior to be shown a little more from the side windows and not just pure darkness (depending on the light)

Oh well. I just roll the windows down instead to flex
Lol

i recently got mine tinted at sunshield in sherman oaks

30% driver and passenger
15% rear seats and rear shield

couldn't be happier - was definitely on the fence, either 30% all around vs. 30/15 - but like my wife said, if you're going to get tint, make it obvious

my previous car had 35% all around and there were multiple times i would look at my car and wonder if there was any tint at all

one thing is, im still noticing a ton of bubbles....i know you should let it settle for a week or two, but man, there are still a lot