Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$300 Hitch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the one sole reason I haven't pulled the trigger on an aftermarket hitch just yet. I want to wait and see what the Tesla hitch offers. If Tesla comes out and says "our hitch option includes "hitch mode" which will let the rear sensors know you have a bike rack on" AND that software is not available to add if you have a 3rd party hitch, well then unfortunately that would have me sold on the Tesla hitch.

My X with factory hitch still had this issue

Sure, you know those 3rd taillights you buy at PepBoys to install into the receiver hitch? That would do it, but have to wire the LED lights onto the bike rack. I am thinking of designing a charger for the ebike when I have it on the rack. There is already a standard connector under the bumper skin for the wiring harness, so one of those pins pulls the sensor signal. Just have to incorporate that when I have the charger on.

There is already a standard connector under the bumper skin for the wiring harness, so one of those pins pulls the sensor signal. Just have to incorporate that when I have the charger on.

I don't think it is a standard connector, it is a proprietary Tesla connector. Also, I wouldn't count on any of the power/signal wires to be active if you haven't purchased the Tesla hitch.

I'll be interested to see if Tesla went the route of software locking it like they did for features on the Model 3 SR/SR/+. (For example the heated rear seats are installed, but if you want to use them you have to pay $300 to unlock them. Other things like some of the interior lights you can't even pay to enable.)

Here is the connector if anyone is wondering. It is plugged
tesla wirings.jpg
into a white blankoff for storage.

TorkLift sells a wire harness that plugs into the connector and works without any software modification. I tested the pins with a multimeter when I had the bumper cover off, and they have 12v, so you are good that way. I say standard because the connector is the same as the ones BMW uses on some cars.

Looks like a Tekonsha 119250 light kit. Instead of splicing into the various lighting wires, it uses current sensing switches so that it is completely isolated from the stock wiring. I installed one in my Bolt EV and it works great.

The only thing is that you still need to tap into a 12V source and ground or run a separate line to the battery as the instructions state. Ground is easy to get anywhere there's metal.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good kit at a decent price, but in no way does it directly plug n' play into the Tesla wiring harness. Plus, the 4 current sensing switches (left, right, tail, & stop) are kind of bulky as a whole, so you'll need to find a place to put them before putting the bumper skin back. They come with foam sleeves so they don't go click/clack if they go bouncing around, but a Tesla-specific plug n' play harness would be ideal.

For anyone wondering about the wiring harness, I just got finished hooking mine up. Tesla decided on some weird color choices for the wiring to the harness, but for a standard 4 pin harness the wires line up as follows:

Signal - Trailer - Tesla Harness
Ground - White - Black
Left/BrakeYellow to green
Brown to brown
Green to purple
Trailer. Tesla

For anyone wondering about the wiring harness, I just got finished hooking mine up. Tesla decided on some weird color choices for the wiring to the harness, but for a standard 4 pin harness the wires line up as follows. I checked each one of the harness pins with a 12v test light. If you try to test with a volt meter (i.e. no load), you won't see a signal or voltage. The cable fits nicely up behind the hitch and is secure in next to the receiver.

Signal Trailer Tesla Harness
Ground White Black
Left Turn/Brake Yellow Green
Running lights Brown Brown
Right Turn/Brake Green Purple

Attachments

• IMG_6785.jpg
    IMG_6785.jpg
    766.2 KB · Views: 92
Going Factory will give you the electronic tow package as well. Electronic sway control has some value as well as turning off annoying beeping from sensors.

Saw the video and imagine many owners might not want to install it them selves, so they will need to factor in some installation labor as well.

Imagine this aftermarket offering will add pressure for Tesla to release a 2" hitch as well.

I looked at some other small SUVs and their tow ratings were only 1,000-1,500lbs, so Tesla seems to be pretty competitive here.
I agreed. I would rather have the factory installed tow package than saving a few hundred if at all factoring the cost of outside installation cost and true compatibility with the electronics.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Received mine a week ago and installed it myself in about 2 hours. I did have a spun bolt in the plastic tub, but it was forward and didn't have to be removed to pull the bumper. This is a problem Tesla needs to fix. Anyway, here is a 1up single tray on the Model Y with one of the bikes I manufacture. You can open the hatch with the single tray without lowering it. View attachment 543160 View attachment 543161

How close is your 1up rack sitting to your bumper in the "up or store" position? Mine is touching the bumper even with the rack extended all the way out as far as it can go with the tow hitch lock installed.

How close is your 1up rack sitting to your bumper in the "up or store" position? Mine is touching the bumper even with the rack extended all the way out as far as it can go with the tow hitch lock installed.
That's a great question. I'm also planning to use a 1up rack with a Model Y. I'd love a picture similar to this that shows the clearance to the bumper. Here I have about 1/4" clearance to the X5's bumper but I could pull it further out of the receiver if needed.

IMG_2139.jpg

Installing the ecohitch took me about 2.5 hours and it was very straight forward. I didn't have the stuck bumper bolt that other people seem to have encountered. Most things are just held on by clips.

Since the hitch receiver sits recessed in the rear bumper, my 1up super duty rack sits touching the bumper when in the up position so I stuck on some Scotch adhesive pads. You can see them if you look closely at the picture from the side. Wondering if other people are also running into this slight issue with the 1up racks on Model Ys?

200611_1.JPG
200611_2.JPG

• Helpful
Reactions: tk1971 and Zoomit
What about if you get the extension that 1up sells..that should bring it out a few inches?????

sure sites like etrailer.com have several different extension and adapter lengths and options.
The Model 3 has a much lower hitch receiver so I use an extension that also rises a few inches.
If you extend out enough then your hatch will open even when the rack is folded but too far and you’ll drag it entering steep driveways etc.

Installing the ecohitch took me about 2.5 hours and it was very straight forward. I didn't have the stuck bumper bolt that other people seem to have encountered. Most things are just held on by clips.

Since the hitch receiver sits recessed in the rear bumper, my 1up super duty rack sits touching the bumper when in the up position so I stuck on some Scotch adhesive pads. You can see them if you look closely at the picture from the side. Wondering if other people are also running into this slight issue with the 1up racks on Model Ys?

View attachment 550695 View attachment 550696

How is your setup for the hitch cover when you're not using the hitch? the one included with the EcoHitch isn't my cup of tea. Looking for other ideas