TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

302 Mile Range?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Camera-Cruiser, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Camera-Cruiser

Camera-Cruiser Fully Charged

So the range went up on the 90D, but they did not announce a 100kWh battery. So I am guessing the rumored 100kWh battery is in there, but that is is closer to 94 - 95, so they decided not to push marketing it as a 100kWh.

Any other thoughts?

2. zambono

zambono Member

Did you notice the 70 went up as well. not sure what is going on. If they are no longer using EPA, or who knows.

3. Camera-Cruiser

Camera-Cruiser Fully Charged

It changed back.

One day I have no doubt about Tesla making it, and thriving. But today, their website shows Model S with 70kWh in places and 75kWh in others, and then there is the difference in range too. It seems like they need more grown ups running the place. At least to tell everyone to stop a moment and get on the same page.

It's just weird to see picts of the center console show up a couple weeks back on the main site, then the person who drove by the factory and took a picture of the MS with the new nose wrapped for shipping, not to mention the mention of a 100kWh battery in firmware 3 or so weeks back. The funny thing is that you would think that the 100kWh battery would be the center piece of a new MS.

If I were sitting on the fence, I'd keep waiting. I would hate to take delivery in June of the face-lifted car, only for them to drop the 100kWh battery in July.

• Like x 1
  4. chipmunk

chipmunk Member

My guess is aerodynamic updates (like the new standard wheels and revised rear diffuser) or other efficiency gain such as LED headlights caused the small increase in range. Just a guess.

5. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

New nose = lower drag?

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I would bet money the new nose has less drag. How much it improves range, I have no idea.

I love the design of the new nose. Looking forward to my Model 3 in 2018!

7. brkaus

brkaus Member

The new battery isn't important to me. That one will likely come with a price bump, especially when first introduced. Nice to have, yes. But not at higher cost.

8. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I believe tesla anouced an X75d today

9. scott jones

scott jones Member

image.png I thought it was already updated to 294, but the Tesla website has 302

10. geoffreak

geoffreak Model 3 Reservation Holder

It seems that with the new design there were some aerodynamic improvements made to eek out some more range.

11. Ben W

Ben W P85 #61, Roadster #108

TeslaMaxRange.png There are two separate displays there. One is the EPA figures, which haven't changed. The second is the range calculator based on various temperature/speed/etc. assumptions, which is where the 302mi figure came from. If you crank those values to the extremes (e.g. 45mph, 110°, AC off, 19" wheels) you can get some pretty insane range figures :)

12. larmor

larmor Member

Also note that power output of the motor is limited due to motor shaft restriction, and not battery limited. ..

13. R.S

R.S Member

Its not limited by the motor shaft, but the power at the motor shaft is restricted. Probably due to the battery.

Power can be a bit misleading, because you have multiple spots to measure the power output. You can measure the power out put from the battery, at the battery side of the inverter after wiring losses, which should stay almost the same, at the motor side of the inverter, which is a bit less, due to inverter losses, at the motor plugs, again almost the same as after the inverter losses, at the motor shaft, there it is at best 90% of the battery power in the maximum power case, after the gearbox, differential and finally at the wheels, where it is again lower than at the shaft.

Tesla measured the power at the shaft, the in-car readout is the power drawn from the battery and what really matters would be the power at the wheels.