Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

-30C(-22F) this week. How is your car handling it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my Michelin X-ice3 tires. Been super cold in Chicago. Sucks but what can you do? Averaged more energy per mile than I've ever done. Running 430wh/mi average which is insane. I am using heat at 67 as well as seat heat and steering heatRange is diminished but car is comfortable. I wouldn't road trip if it was this cold regardless of vehicle drivetrain.

Michelin X-ice3 tires indeed great tires, have it on my Wife's.

Reactions: croman
No issues to speak of wrt the car itself except higher energy usage (roughly +40%), limited power, and limited to no regen. But I’m feeling pretty good that, since I’m not worrying about squeaking/slipping belts, frozen coolant, cold cranking amps, engine temperature, and all of the noises an ICE makes in this weather. I just hop in the car and go.

Reactions: Chopr147
Let it freeze..Tesla starts up easily... don't forget to preheat 45min to 1hr and you will be good to go.
Also start to charge an hour before going whatever extra juice you want , that also helps heating up your battery and would draw power from plug in source.

That is excellent advice, just bear in mind that the battery heater draws a significant amount of power ( at least 5kW if memory serves), so pre-heating and even charging when cold soaked will NOT work efficiently on a level one (120 V, 6A) plug like the block-heaters found in many northern hotels.

When I got my S in 2013 I tried plugging in to such while at work (had a meeting to go to immediately after hours), in similar true winter temps, and got (at best) a whopping 1 km/hr of charge. Let's just say my trip was not enhanced by my efforts...

Mimimum I would recommend is a NEMA 14-50, or better.

Hello Team,

It has been almost 2 weeks of -30C/-22F in Montreal.

I'm wondering how is your car handling it? What is your summer mileage numbers and what is this weeks numbers?
Also if you leave your car overnight how many km/miles are you loosing?
Any starting issues?

This is my biggest concern as even last year we had - 30C weather for 4 Days. This time it's almost a full month :/
No problem, just expect reduced range. I see 150-160 Wh/km in the summer, up over 350 the past little while with days of a few short trips resulting in numbers up over 400. Highway range is not reduced as much, maybe 75% of normal, but city driving I have seen the energy app telling me to expect less than 200km from an 80% charge. Not an issue with overnight charging as long as you have something substantial (110V 15A isn’t going to cut it).

No issues “starting” or driving other than fiddling to keep windows defrosted. 2 people I know had non-starting ICE in the past week though. Great winter car overall in spite of reduced range. Good reason to get the biggest battery you can.

I've been averaging about 500 wh/mile (300 wh/km) for a month! In Toronto area where it has been very cold, not quite Montreal levels but between - 5 Celsius and - 25 all of December.

Car has performed very well, no issues other than park assist not being available in a snowstorm because sensors were covered
2015 P90D

other than fiddling to keep windows defrosted.
Foggy windows is a pain in the neck.
My solution:
Bought the damp trap first and later saw the Auto dehumidifier in London drug's and bought that too. 2500 km of fog free driving in frigid cold, and blizzards from Edmonton to Vancouver and back.
I could keep the fan speed at 4 to 5 without fogging which was lower than last winter.
20171229_201943.jpg
20171224_222355.jpg

My solution:
Bought the damp trap first and later saw the Auto dehumidifier in London drug's and bought that too. 2500 km of fog free driving in frigid cold, and blizzards from Edmonton to Vancouver and back.
I could keep the fan speed at 4 to 5 without fogging which was lower than last winter. View attachment 270702 View attachment 270703
Cool, might have to try those. Fan at 4 or 5 is usually fine even at highway (120 km/h) but adjusting between feet and windshield airflow is sometimes needed. Course, your X has a whole lotta windshield to defog.

My solution:
I could keep the fan speed at 4 to 5 without fogging which was lower than last winter. View attachment 270702 View attachment 270703
I had seen someone recommending those as well, so I bought one a couple days ago. The first day, I noticed no difference. Second day, I was pleasantly surprised when I noticed little to no humidity on the Inside windows.

Ok Since we are talking cold weather here, how's your feet? Because mine are freezing and I just can't seem to get the internal temp. right. The floor heater vent is so damn small! This may be my biggest complaint about my S! I blast the heat and open a window sometimes just to warm my toes :(

Reactions: mobe
Ok Since we are talking cold weather here, how's your feet? Because mine are freezing and I just can't seem to get the internal temp. right. The floor heater vent is so damn small! This may be my biggest complaint about my S! I blast the heat and open a window sometimes just to warm my toes :(

The driver vent is known to be defective in the design of the S. Never fixed in refresh. Passenger vent is strong and warm.

Wow i thought it was just me ... my feet are frozen after a long drive .... can never get it warm enough .. didnt know this was a defect in design