Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

310 -> 287 (7.4%) Battery Degredation (5 months, 12k miles)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sort of bummed that we have had our car for only 5 months and driven it just under 12k miles and we have 7.4% battery degradation. It was 310 miles when we got it and now we're at 287 with a 100% charge.

Does that seem ok, excessive, or what are your thoughts? Didn't they just increase the range on them too with the last update? If that's the case, its a further percentage drop. Just curious to see what others think.

Interesting.. Nothing I can do about it so I guess I'll just roll with it and see what happens. I wish I had more insight to how this whole thing worked so I would know if there was an issue or not. Here is my battery report from Teslafi.

upload_2019-11-16_14-4-35.png

I’m 16 months , 18k, and charged to 312 yesterday. Search the forums for how to reset your charging, something like near full drain and full charge, might have to do it a couple times. Good luck

I'll do that, but could you tell me(us) more about what you did? I'd love to hear this.. Do you have TeslaFi at all? I've tried a lot of things so if you could share some details on what worked for you, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Sort of bummed that we have had our car for only 5 months and driven it just under 12k miles and we have 7.4% battery degradation. It was 310 miles when we got it and now we're at 287 with a 100% charge.

Does that seem ok, excessive, or what are your thoughts? Didn't they just increase the range on them too with the last update? If that's the case, its a further percentage drop. Just curious to see what others think.
Have you charged it to 100% or just extrapolated it?
If you don't charge to 100% every few months, you may be amazed at what it can do.

(check the hundreds of similar posts in the forums)

Have you charged it to 100% or just extrapolated it?
If you don't charge to 100% every few months, you may be amazed at what it can do.

(check the hundreds of similar posts in the forums)

I did that this morning. Charged it to 100% this morning - didn't seem to make much of a difference. Should I do that a couple times over the next few days? Do I have to drop it to below 20% before charging or is what matters just charging it to 100% a few times?

There are a few YouTube videos I’ve seen that discuss this worth watching, one by Like Tesla - Severe Model 3 Battery Degradation or Something Else (her 3 was showing 260 miles at 100% after 5 months) and Bjorn Nyland’s 2-part series - Calibrating Battery in Model 3.

In summary, if your standard daily charging limit is below 80-90% your car ”learns” that lesser range and is what is displayed to you. Per Elon, charging to 90% does no harm (Like Tesla has a follow up video where she got that response from Musk). Bjorn’s series is overly talkative, but to recalibrate your battery you need to discharge it very low ( he went below 11km) so maybe 4%, then charge to 100% (being certain to let charging end itself rather than unplugging when you see the display show 100%. Then drive immediately and again take it down to say 4% and charge to 100%, drive, then to 90% - which should be your default limit. This will then let your car learn the correct bottom and top of the battery.

I’m no expert on this, just reporting. Hope this may help.

Mine is also dropping a good bit recently, but i think it's because i haven't gone below ~40% in a while. Planning to run fairly low later this weekend, so lets see if it improves after that balancing. I've definitely run the car fairly hard and charged to 100% multiple times though.

Battery_11_16_2019.JPG

I wish this battery degradation report could plot lines on it where the charges stopped (percentage) so we could see if long term charges to a certain level affect things or not. I'm going to lower my charge rate and increase it to 95% for a few days, then to 90% and see what that gives me. I went to 100% this morning and drove it right after down to about 90. I may do that again tomorrow morning, and then do the 95/90 thing to see what that ends up giving me.

When I charged to 100% this morning, Teslafi reported that it ticked over to 100% at 6:57 AM and didn't actually finish until 7:49 AM. It took 52 minutes to go from 100% (still charging) to 100% (Complete) where it actually stopped charging. I can only guess that this was because the battery packs are unbalanced?

Sort of bummed that we have had our car for only 5 months and driven it just under 12k miles and we have 7.4% battery degradation. It was 310 miles when we got it and now we're at 287 with a 100% charge. How many miles are you able to make using 10% of battery at 55mph on a flat surface road?

My car shows 293 miles range but I can drive 32 miles on 10%. That tells me that the estimated range the car is showing is incorrect.

I wish this battery degradation report could plot lines on it where the charges stopped (percentage) so we could see if long term charges to a certain level affect things or not. I'm going to lower my charge rate and increase it to 95% for a few days, then to 90% and see what that gives me. I went to 100% this morning and drove it right after down to about 90. I may do that again tomorrow morning, and then do the 95/90 thing to see what that ends up giving me.

When I charged to 100% this morning, Teslafi reported that it ticked over to 100% at 6:57 AM and didn't actually finish until 7:49 AM. It took 52 minutes to go from 100% (still charging) to 100% (Complete) where it actually stopped charging. I can only guess that this was because the battery packs are unbalanced?
a) What is your typical charging and commute like? Daily? Weekends? Trips and supercharging? Daily Supercharging? Tracking?

b) Do any of the drops in your TeslaFI battery correlate with any of your mods? Factor in for your 100% estimations perhaps.
Re: "Mods: Unplugged Performance Racing Coilovers, 19x9.5 V710FF wheels + 265 S007A Tires, Brake Pads/Lines + Fluid, Front Lip Spoiler, UP Sway Bars, UP Adjustable Control Arms (Front + Rear)"

c) My sons at 35.6K miles and 4.6% loss. (14 months) - LR '18 AWD TM3
9qxW2bx.jpg

Do any of the drops in your TeslaFI battery correlate with any of your mods? Factor in for your 100% estimations perhaps.
Re: "Mods: Unplugged Performance Racing Coilovers, 19x9.5 V710FF wheels + 265 S007A Tires, Brake Pads/Lines + Fluid, Front Lip Spoiler, UP Sway Bars, UP Adjustable Control Arms (Front + Rear)"

Nope, had the mods for many months well and saw 310 range after putting them on. Plus this calculation does not take into account real world efficiency at all, so they shouldn't matter. It's purely a measure of battery capacity.

Now my behavior with the car being tracked will likely hurt the battery some, sure, as i've accelerated very hard for prolonged periods, supercharged to 100% many times etc. but the mods themselves shouldn't impact the number, if that makes sense.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Just my opinion but most of us worry about battery “issues” that probably aren’t even really true problems.

It appears at least to me that although we would all like an exact expected mileage and or % reading it may not be realistic yet to have that functionality.

There are a lot of variables that can affect the results (Software version changes, driving style, speed, weather, temp, etc etc.)

Some thoughts to consider -
How accurate are average ICE car gas gauges / predicted miles in real life?

How many ICE cars reach their stated mileage / mpg in real use? (for every driver / condition?)

How often do we see examples of Tesla owners thinking their battery is failing quickly but then the battery magically recovers due to a charging or software change? Do we really think the change restored the battery or is it much more likely that the displayed amount was simply recalculated?